[Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Did you wipe cache partition, dalvik cache, and full data wipe before you flashed the rom?

What rom was it?

What you need to do now is pull the battery out, wait a minute, put it back in, reboot into hboot (volume down plus power button), select recovery with volume keys, press power, then when it boots into recovery, navigate to backup and restore, select by pressing home key, select restore, and select your back up and press home key, then reboot.

this will get you back to your backup and things will be ok, and you can try to flash the rom again after that but make sure you wipe those things first or it will not work properly.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Noob question. Long time reader...First time poster...
when transfering zipped rom to /sd. where exactly do i need to place the file? installing with rom manager.

As Zero Neck mentioned the file can be placed anywhere as long as you know where its located. Its recommended to keep them on the root of the SD Card. I keep them in my download folder and never had any problems. So when booting into recovery.. I would navigate to >install from sd card > downloads > rom xxxx.zip. As for your question on where the root of the SD Card is... Its the main folder when you first open the SD Card... all the other folders after that are sub folders (android, data, downloads, media, my documents, etc...). You would place the zip file by itself with the rest of your sub folders.

Whitereign

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok this helps a lot. I installed lighting rom v3.2 but for some resin I can't find the back up. I saw it do it .. Any ideas? If not should I just wipe user data and start over?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok this helps a lot. I installed lighting rom v3.2 but for some resin I can't find the back up. I saw it do it .. Any ideas? If not should I just wipe user data and start over?

If you made a backup with rom manager, you can restore the backup thru rom manager app or you can boot into recovery mode and go to backup and restore>restore>rom manager>find the file you named the backup

Now that you have a rom flashed and it's working, you could just make a new back up thru rom manager or in recovery mode

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Lol can't find the back up anywere :(

The backup was of your rooted stock?

If you need to get back to stock there is a process for it...

You can read about it here:
[HOWTO] Return to stock properly and safely. - xda-developers

You should make a backup of whatever you are using now, if it's working properly, anyway, just to have something safe to return to should you need it.

BTW if you let rom manager name the backup, it's just numbers and periods and it will be in your sd card > rom manager folder somewhere

Last edited:

nativi

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I tried putting this http://forum.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/78027-rom-04-19-11-bamf-remix-1-5-new-base-ruu-plus-more-update.html follow the intrucyions to the bone and if said fail. I rooted last night first time root also. now i am not rooted and i don't know how to get to my stock with root backup. Rom manager needs superuser but i am not rooted now

Not sure what happened with your root but you can get back into recovery by... Powering off the phone... Hold the volume down rocker + power on button at the same time until the phone boots into recovery... Navigate to your backup. As for downloads showing up for developers... I'm pretty sure that's only available in the paid version of rom manager. Try installings roms through rom managers recovery option as explained in the guide... making sure you wipe data and both caches. There's a list for every rom available in the second post of this thread for downloads. I'm not too familiar with the auto root procedure yet so maybe someone else can help you with that for now until I get a chance to look at things later tonight. What exactly happened? ... you were rooted... went to flash a rom and now you are unrooted?

Reactions: nativi

nativi

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks bro. I re rooted. What happen was i went to install the rom and it said the rom fail or something like that. From there I got lost I had no idea what to do. I thought it was bricked but it just went to reboot by itself and it was like out of the box. No root or anything. So I rooted again and tried to rom but I did a nanadroid backup this time just incase. but everything went well. Thanks.

dhyamato

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, this is a total newbie question regarding ROM's. I rooted my TB last night, re-installed my apps, and configured most of my settings to how they were prior to rooting.

Now, I'd like to start playing with different ROM's and was wondering when a new ROM is installed, must I re-install all my apps again? Or, are the apps in a protected location away from the ROM?

Thanks for a great forum!

Dwayne

p.s. Perhaps in hindsight, should I have installed the new ROM first, followed by app installation?

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this is a total newbie question regarding ROM's. I rooted my TB last night, re-installed my apps, and configured most of my settings to how they were prior to rooting.

Now, I'd like to start playing with different ROM's and was wondering when a new ROM is installed, must I re-install all my apps again? Or, are the apps in a protected location away from the ROM?

Thanks for a great forum!

Dwayne

p.s. Perhaps in hindsight, should I have installed the new ROM first, followed by app installation?
Unfortunately yes you will have to wipe the data again which will erase everything off of the phone (except sd card). Normally when rooting a device you don't have to wipe the data, but because the Thunderbolts rom had to be pushed back to an earlier state in order to gain root. .. you had to do a data wipe. It's usually only done when flashing between roms. Just use Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro and back up your apps data and phones settings so you can easily restore everything after you flash the new rom. And yes you could have rooted, installed the new rom and then setup the phone again. It's not too bad once you have everything backed up.

Edit: that's one thing you can do, before you setup the phone back to the way it was... Flash between different roms(wiping the data and caches)until you find one you like. Performance wise it would take some time using the phone to see if you like it but just to check out the look of the roms... this would be good to do.

Last edited:

dhyamato

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Cyber Warrior! After backing up everything and deleting the caches and data, I'll ROM it tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the support!

reality88

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
So I got my TB rooted and getting ready to flash a ROM. I used Titanium Backup to back up just my stock rooted TB. But should I grab all the apps I want right now, apps like root explorer, dolphin browser and install them, do another backup so they will already be installed? Or can you access Android Market with a custom ROM installed? I read in the BAMF Remix 1.5 (gonna use this ROM) thread they were having problems downloading apps. They mention Black Market but not a lot was said. Thanks.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000