[Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Titanium should mainly be used to backup your apps and their data. A nandroid backup in recovery should be made to backup your current system data if anything goes wrong and you want to revert back.

I would install all the apps you want and then back them up in Titanium. (Don't backup system data.) Then make your nandroid backup of your current state in recovery.

Flash BAMF, and then restore your apps with Titanium

romeomast

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Loosing 4G and 3g network

I rooted my phone last week and then followed the instructions for doing a nandroid backup, after that I installed VirusRom but wasn't too thrilled about it and went and did wipe data, cache and darvik cache as well. After doing all this I did restore from my original back up which I had but now I am not getting 4G or 3G on my phone, its stuck on 1x. Any suggestions? Appreciate all the help on this forum.

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my phone last week and then followed the instructions for doing a nandroid backup, after that I installed VirusRom but wasn't too thrilled about it and went and did wipe data, cache and darvik cache as well. After doing all this I did restore from my original back up which I had but now I am not getting 4G or 3G on my phone, its stuck on 1x. Any suggestions? Appreciate all the help on this forum.

Searching before posting is a good thing. ;)

1x???

FYI 3G and 4G Is Down Nation Wide

3G fix for Thunderbolt

etc.

66dude

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Do nothing right now. There is a nationwide data outage for TB users. Almost every TB owner right now is stuck on 1x.

Smittyn804

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell me in what order are the back ups listed? I understand they are by date but what looks like a time after the date does not seem correct to the time when I did them and I did 2 back ups the same day. So is it new to old or old to new. I want to rename them now so I can keep organized.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone tell me in what order are the back ups listed? I understand they are by date but what looks like a time after the date does not seem correct to the time when I did them and I did 2 back ups the same day. So is it new to old or old to new. I want to rename them now so I can keep organized.

Yea, if you have a lot of backups especially in the same day .... Renaming them makes life easier. The newest backups are on top of the list... oldest on the bottom.

Reactions: Smittyn804

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Just some noob questions about nandroid backups:

Does restoring also restore all apps and app & user data as they were when the nandroid was made? In other words, if I make a nandroid now and choose to back up after flashing a ROM, will I get my games, saved game locations, emails, contacts, text messages, etc. after restoring?

If I wanted to rename a nandroid, where do I go looking for it?

Thanks for the help.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Just some noob questions about nandroid backups:

Does restoring also restore all apps and app & user data as they were when the nandroid was made? In other words, if I make a nandroid now and choose to back up after flashing a ROM, will I get my games, saved game locations, emails, contacts, text messages, etc. after restoring?

If I wanted to rename a nandroid, where do I go looking for it?

Thanks for the help.

A nandroid backup is basically a copy of your entire phone and what makes it run (its operating system). It will restore the phone back to the way it was when you made the backup in case something goes wrong. You don't want to do a nandroid restore after flashing a new rom as it defeats the purpose of flashing a new rom. If you did... you would be right back where you started with your old rom. What you're looking for is an app like Titanium Backup or MyBackup to backup your apps data and saved info ...phone calls, texts, etc. You can rename your backups from your SD Card... where they are stored. It would be under... SD Card>Clockworkmod>Backup. Either with your phone connected to a computer or straight from your phone... access your SD Card. From the phone use a file manager like Astro or you can also do it from ROM Manager under backup and restore... find the file you want to rename... Menu.. Edit...Rename.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I understand that backing up after going to a new ROM is counterproductive, what I'm not fully understanding, and it could have been that I might have just not asked my question right, is will a nandroid back up put back all of my data or will I need to use something like Titanium Backup to do that afterwords?

Thanks for the help!

A nandroid backup is basically a copy of your entire phone and what makes it run (its operating system). It will restore the phone back to the way it was when you made the backup in case something goes wrong. You don't want to do a nandroid restore after flashing a new rom as it defeats the purpose of flashing a new rom. If you did... you would be right back where you started with your old rom. What you're looking for is an app like Titanium Backup or MyBackup to backup your apps data and saved info ...phone calls, texts, etc. You can rename your backups from your SD Card... where they are stored. It would be under... SD Card>Clockworkmod>Backup. Either with your phone connected to a computer or straight from your phone... access your SD Card. From the phone use a file manager like Astro or you can also do it from ROM Manager under backup and restore... find the file you want to rename... Menu.. Edit...Rename.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I understand that backing up after going to a new ROM is counterproductive, what I'm not fully understanding, and it could have been that I might have just not asked my question right, is will a nandroid back up put back all of my data or will I need to use something like Titanium Backup to do that afterwords?

Thanks for the help!

Yea sorry about that, after I posted my answer I figured you might have meant that.
Yes a nandroid backs up all data. For managing app data I would use Titanium or MyBackup since you can backup any new changes you make overtime.... where as a nandroid is just a set backup of what you have at that moment. Backing up your ROM is like a restore point on a computer, you reload that and your phone is back to the way it was at that point. Titanium allows you to back up your apps and reinstall all backups/app data/ or just some. Whatever your preference.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Perfect! My understanding just went up one point... and for me, every point counts!Thanks again for your helpful reply!

Yea sorry about that, after I posted my answer I figured you might have meant that.
Yes a nandroid backs up all data. For managing app data I would use Titanium or MyBackup since you can backup any new changes you make overtime.... where as a nandroid is just a set backup of what you have at that moment. Backing up your ROM is like a restore point on a computer, you reload that and your phone is back to the way it was at that point. Titanium allows you to back up your apps and reinstall all backups/app data/ or just some. Whatever your preference.

immrmom

May 5, 2011
Visit site
First off, thank you for putting up this post on how to install roms.

Total noob here. Just rooted my phone a couple of days ago and thanks to this post I was able to install my first rom. I see that there is an update to the rom (1.6 ---> 1.6.2). How do I go about installing the new update?

Also, I backed up my apps using Titanium backup. If I want to restore my apps, if I select all, will it install all apps INCLUDING the bloatware that was backed up?

Last edited:

major_works

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Titanium should mainly be used to backup your apps and their data. A nandroid backup in recovery should be made to backup your current system data if anything goes wrong and you want to revert back.

I would install all the apps you want and then back them up in Titanium. (Don't backup system data.) Then make your nandroid backup of your current state in recovery.

Flash BAMF, and then restore your apps with Titanium

Just rooted and ran Ti Backup. Can you explain why one shouldn't use this app to backup system data?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
First off, thank you for putting up this post on how to install roms.

Total noob here. Just rooted my phone a couple of days ago and thanks to this post I was able to install my first rom. I see that there is an update to the rom (1.6 ---> 1.6.2). How do I go about installing the new update?

Also, I backed up my apps using Titanium backup. If I want to restore my apps, if I select all, will it install all apps INCLUDING the bloatware that was backed up?

Flash right over it the same way you did with 1.6. You should be able to just wipe the cache partition and the dalvik cache... Don't worry about wiping the data. Make a backup of 1.6 rom before you do anything. As for titanium.. yes you will need to re-freeze the bloat again. If you deleted them, then no, they will not come back.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Just rooted and ran Ti Backup. Can you explain why one shouldn't use this app to backup system data?

You can back it up but you may run into problems if restoring. Sometimes you will have duplicate files of the new rom and the backup. The only problem I ever ran into was a never ending sync because of duplicate files. I've been using MyBackup Pro for phone settings and Titanium for apps and app data. I also use it for repairing market links and to freeze bloat. I like using a combo of the two apps together.

Reactions: major_works

immrmom

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Flash right over it the same way you did with 1.6. You should be able to just wipe the cache partition and the dalvik cache... Don't worry about wiping the data. Make a backup of 1.6 rom before you do anything. As for titanium.. yes you will need to re-freeze the bloat again. If you deleted them, then no, they will not come back.

Thank you for the quick response. I've tried asking questions on other forums and some people just reply by saying read forums. Really appreciate the help.

cashmoney805

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the guide. I'm having a bit of trouble booting into recovery though. I did the Flash Clockwork thing and all, but while rebooting my screen is just stuck on the white HTC screen. Any clue what's going on? Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia