Now that I'm rooted, I want to test some ROMs, (carefully...)

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I'm back from vacation (I rooted two days before), and now it's time to get down to business. I have ROM Manager, Titanium Backup, etc...

Before I rooted, I moved all my apps to SD. That did me no good. But with Titanium Backup, will all my current apps and their settings be moved to my SD card? Will anything else, such as SMS/call logs/contacts?

As for Nandroid backup, is this simply an image backup? In case something goes awry, I can revert to the state I was before I embarked upon this procedure?

I'm trying to get a semblance of the state I'm in so I can maybe test a few ROMs and easily maintain the state of the apps I was running prior to these ROM swaps...

Thanks!

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I'm back from vacation (I rooted two days before), and now it's time to get down to business. I have ROM Manager, Titanium Backup, etc...

Before I rooted, I moved all my apps to SD. That did me no good. But with Titanium Backup, will all my current apps and their settings be moved to my SD card? Will anything else, such as SMS/call logs/contacts?

As for Nandroid backup, is this simply an image backup? In case something goes awry, I can revert to the state I was before I embarked upon this procedure?

I'm trying to get a semblance of the state I'm in so I can maybe test a few ROMs and easily maintain the state of the apps I was running prior to these ROM swaps...

Thanks!

That's correct. The nandroid backup will restore your phone to the same state as of the time you made the backup. Titanium Backup will create a backup of your apps in the folder on your SD card called "Titanium Backup." You can simply copy that folder to your computer to keep a backup off your phone.

Titanium Backup won't restore your call logs or SMS messages. There are two free programs in the Market that will backup those for you, SMS Backup and Restore and Call Logs Backup and Restore.

Good luck. Take the time to make backups and you should be fine.

Last edited:

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
MyBackupPro will take care off all of that in one and even try to put your home screens back. Titanium is awesome, but just want you to know your options.

Reactions: NotJustAPhone

pwoznic

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I use My Backup Pro for backing up contacts, sms, etc and Titanium for apps.

I have the extended battery and installed the Das Bamf 1.6.2? (ROM manager version) last week... I turned off the 4G radio yesterday (as a test), am using the ondemand cpu setting with a big reduction in cpu speed when I turn the screen off.. took it off the charger 2 and a half hours ago and I've been streaming O&A on XM (3g) for about an hour and I'm at 93%..........WOW!

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
MyBackupPro will take care off all of that in one and even try to put your home screens back. Titanium is awesome, but just want you to know your options.

I've heard some good things about My Backup. Haven't tried it yet but will give it a shot soon. Not having to restore my home screens manually sounds like a big plus.

pwoznic

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Why Titanium for apps only? Just curious if I'm missing some benefit of doing it that way.

I have other data that I back up w/ titanium (I think) but I've been using my backup pro since my pre-rooting days so it's just a matter of habit. Plus, when I installed the new ROM, my market started downloading EVERYTHING right away so I was up and running in like 15 min.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Before you install a new ROM, always do a backup of current ROM (using ROM Manager). This will essentially take an image of your device so you can quickly revert back, with all settings intact.

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I've heard some good things about My Backup. Haven't tried it yet but will give it a shot soon. Not having to restore my home screens manually sounds like a big plus.

I used My Backup when I rooted initially...it backed up SMS and call logs nicely. My only issue there was that the restored call logs didn't show the contact names (only the numbers), even after I restored my contacts. However, I restored my contacts via HTC Sync, so that may have been the issue there. I'm anal about my contacts, so I want them organized the way I have them in Outlook -- with all of that data and categories, etc.

Why Titanium for apps only? Just curious if I'm missing some benefit of doing it that way.

I'm under the impression that Titanium backs up app settings and restores them as such. For instance, if you've progressed various levels in Angry Birds, that will be maintained, as well as in other apps in the same manner. Can someone verify this?

Before you install a new ROM, always do a backup of current ROM (using ROM Manager). This will essentially take an image of your device so you can quickly revert back, with all settings intact.

Is this also known as a Nandroid backup?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I used My Backup when I rooted initially...it backed up SMS and call logs nicely. My only issue there was that the restored call logs didn't show the contact names (only the numbers), even after I restored my contacts. However, I restored my contacts via HTC Sync, so that may have been the issue there. I'm anal about my contacts, so I want them organized the way I have them in Outlook -- with all of that data and categories, etc.

I'm under the impression that Titanium backs up app settings and restores them as such. For instance, if you've progressed various levels in Angry Birds, that will be maintained, as well as in other apps in the same manner. Can someone verify this?

Is this also known as a Nandroid backup?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

1- Not too sure about that. I have my contacts synced with gmail account. You can use My Backup for Root to restore contacts also. That might help you,

2- Titanium backups up apps + their data (assuming you tell it to). So yes all the Angry levels will be saved. But My Backup for root also can do this.

3- Yes Nandroid is the same as completely backing up your current ROM.

ChezDigital

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

You should try the simi folder widget...you can backup your folder settings and then restore after you flash. My lifesaver...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800