Help asap please :(

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Good afternoon,

Rooting my ThunderBolt was a bad idea to begin with and of course I had nothing but problems.

I did the factory reset which cleared everything, or so I thought, besides that Super User program. Everything was almost fine until thirty minutes ago.

I had no idea you were not supposed to do a software update when rooted! This is my problem. The phone tries to reset and install, installs a little bit and then brings up the ! in the triangle logo. I can reset the phone, but each time it just gets to the main screen it powers down to reinstall the new software.

If I could please get some help, it would be greatly appreciated. I have had this phone for a week and I don't have insurance on it.

rustypixel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm no expert by any means, but try this, reboot into recovery and clear cache and dalvik then restart your phone. I think it's going to ask you if you want to install or apply the update then you just opt not to. Not 100% sure this will work but I did read the tip somewhere on the many forums I peruse.

Good luck.

Smittyn804

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Have you booted into Hboot by holding the "power" and vol. down buttons while restarting? If you have CWM you can get into recovery. I would try to get to that point and search methods from there. Hope someone with a bit more knowledge can help you from here.

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm no expert by any means, but try this, reboot into recovery and clear cache and dalvik then restart your phone. I think it's going to ask you if you want to install or apply the update then you just opt not to. Not 100% sure this will work but I did read the tip somewhere on the many forums I peruse.

Good luck.

Have you booted into Hboot by holding the "power" and vol. down buttons while restarting? If you have CWM you can get into recovery. I would try to get to that point and search methods from there. Hope someone with a bit more knowledge can help you from here.

I don't have CWM due to the hard reset a few days ago clearing all the apps off besides Super User. However, when I do the volume thing it brings up the program with the skateboarding android dude at the bottom, BUT, it automatically selects something that brings up this:

HBOOT

Pasrsing...[SD ZIP]
[1] MDM9K
[2] RADIO_V2

Do you wnt to start update?

Volume up - Yes
Volume down - No

Obviously I click "no" since my friend who helped me with the rooting said that would make the current problem even worse.

Download rooted ota and place on root of sd card from here: [ruu][rooted][MR1 aka OTA] CONFIRM Build Number: 1.13.605.7 Baseband: 1.16.00.0402w_1 - xda-developers

Verify md5. Rename to PG05IMG.zip. Flash in bootloader

To do this, am I able to somehow remove the SD card, plug it into my laptop via adapter, remove the programs stated above, replace with the link you posted and then have it automatically boot up into that resetting everything?

I appreciate the help so far! Thanks!

jereme716

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I hope I'm not making things worse here, but here's my understanding:

Your phone is picking up the current PG05IMG.zip that is on your sd card. I **think** that's the file that you downloaded via OTA and the same one that is causing your problems. So, you'll want to do what you suggested and pull the sd card, use an adapater, and delete that PG05IMG.zip file. Then, place the unsigned RUU (you have the link to it above) back on the root directory of your sd card and have it named as PG05IMG.zip. You can get one of those free md5 checkers via Google search to make sure the newly downloaded file matches the one linked (you just use the md5 checker program and enter the file path of the downloaded file to get the md5 and compare it with the one listed next to the download link).

Once you have deleted the old PG05IMG.zip, downloaded the new, unsigned RUU, renamed the RUU to PG05IMG.zip, verified the md5 thing, and placed the new one onto the root directory of your sim card, then reboot while holding Volume Down + Power buttons. It should put you right back into the hboot screen and it should also find the new PG05IMG.zip. Press Volume Up to install it.

It's also my understanding that the RUU includes the ROM, radio, and kernal. These three things seem to be the big 3 as far as making your phone work properly. The ROM being the link between the techy stuff and what you see on your phone, the radio providing a way for the phone to communicate w/ the signal sent from the carrier, and the kernal being the guy in charge of telling your CPU what to do. So, if all of that is true, then installing a good RUU **should** completely revamp your phone and get it working correctly.

I hope this helps. I have no real background in programming anything and all my knowledge has come from reading tons of threads (and a few random google searches). So, please don't take my advice as entirely accurate.

Reactions: Andy19

scassel

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I hope I'm not making things worse here, but here's my understanding:

Your phone is picking up the current PG05IMG.zip that is on your sd card. I **think** that's the file that you downloaded via OTA and the same one that is causing your problems. So, you'll want to do what you suggested and pull the sd card, use an adapater, and delete that PG05IMG.zip file. Then, place the unsigned RUU (you have the link to it above) back on the root directory of your sd card and have it named as PG05IMG.zip. You can get one of those free md5 checkers via Google search to make sure the newly downloaded file matches the one linked (you just use the md5 checker program and enter the file path of the downloaded file to get the md5 and compare it with the one listed next to the download link).

Once you have deleted the old PG05IMG.zip, downloaded the new, unsigned RUU, renamed the RUU to PG05IMG.zip, verified the md5 thing, and placed the new one onto the root directory of your sim card, then reboot while holding Volume Down + Power buttons. It should put you right back into the hboot screen and it should also find the new PG05IMG.zip. Press Volume Up to install it.

It's also my understanding that the RUU includes the ROM, radio, and kernal. These three things seem to be the big 3 as far as making your phone work properly. The ROM being the link between the techy stuff and what you see on your phone, the radio providing a way for the phone to communicate w/ the signal sent from the carrier, and the kernal being the guy in charge of telling your CPU what to do. So, if all of that is true, then installing a good RUU **should** completely revamp your phone and get it working correctly.

I hope this helps. I have no real background in programming anything and all my knowledge has come from reading tons of threads (and a few random google searches). So, please don't take my advice as entirely accurate.

Perfect instructions. Follow this and you are back to stock.

Good luck

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused about this MD5 thing. Is it absolutely necessary to do? I don't understand it /noob lol

Other than that, I pulled up the SD card, had to use the other laptop since this wouldn't read it for whatever unknown reason, everything is still on that.

Just to clarify:

Remove current PG105IMG.zip from SD

Drag over new "PG05IMG_MR1_rooted_unsigned"

Rename to "PG105IMG.zip"

Reinstall SD card, Volume down, power button, install

Sorry to repeat things. I just don't want to make this situation any worse!

Thanks again, everyone!

tarheelDan

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused about this MD5 thing. Is it absolutely necessary to do? I don't understand it /noob lol

Sounds like you've got it, but i *highly* recommend checking the MD5 sum before you flash the RUU in hboot. Basically, if the MD5 sum is not the same - it means your download was corrupted, and if you flash a bad RUU.... so it's best to be on the safe side and check ;-)

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you've got it, but i *highly* recommend checking the MD5 sum before you flash the RUU in hboot. Basically, if the MD5 sum is not the same - it means your download was corrupted, and if you flash a bad RUU.... so it's best to be on the safe side and check ;-)

Ah. Understandable.

Unfortunately my other current problem is getting this MD5Checker I downloaded to function properly.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Other than that, I pulled up the SD card, had to use the other laptop since this wouldn't read it for whatever unknown reason, everything is still on that.

Just to clarify:

Remove current PG105IMG.zip from SD

Drag over new "PG05IMG_MR1_rooted_unsigned"

Rename to "PG105IMG.zip"

Reinstall SD card, Volume down, power button, install

Sorry to repeat things. I just don't want to make this situation any worse!

Thanks again, everyone!

Yes the new RUU will wipe all your data on the phone and bring you back to stock settings with the new software, radio, and kernal. MD5 sum is very important, just google MD5 checker, and I know cnet download has a free one.

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't get any of these MD5 sum checkers to work. I obviously have no idea what I am doing.

Am I supposed to load the .zip or the files in the .zip? I've tried doing both and nothing happens?

jereme716

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure which one I downloaded but it came as a zip file. (I keep all that crap on the windows partition b/c my mac side isn't as friendly w/ that stuff). I just right-clicked and selected "run" or "open." I know I didn't bother unzipping the files.

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I think I got it working properly.

Made a new folder, dragged all the "PG05IMG_MR1_rooted_unsigned" into the new folder

Clicked "Make a check file"

Clicked "Verify check file"

"Operation completes.
12 files were verified. 0 file changed." is the message I received.

So I think/hope I'm good to go and put the "PG05IMG_MR1_rooted_unsigned" .zip on the SD card now?

jereme716

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about that =/. The thing I downloaded just gave me the md5 checksum thing (a string of numbers and letters) when I plugged the location of the file into the box. I compared that string of characters to the ones listed beside the download link. The point of checking the md5 is to make sure the file you downloaded is the one you wanted to download (no corruption, misdirected link, etc). It's a type of digital signature. So, "verifying the md5" requires 2 strings of characters; you need the string pulled from the file you downloaded (acquired via md5 checker) and the string posted beside the download link. I don't see how you can verify the md5 w/o comparing those 2 signatures. If what you're doing is not giving you a long list of characters that you can compare to the ones listed beside the link, then I think something is going wrong.

**edit** -- Don't forget to change the filename to PG05IMG.zip
get rid of the extra stuff

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand this.

So you're somehow linking these to the file download source?

Here is a screen shot of the .zip file. Not sure if that helps.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8748/screenshotqwp.jpg

EDIT: Ok. I downloaded MD5 Check Utility v2.31

Created a MD5 Check Sum, gave me a string of capital letters and digits, clicked verify, and then received "The Codes Match!" message.

Is that correct?

Last edited:

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
So I almost thought it was all bad when it was installing and then said "system - fail-uz".

It took forever to boot up, but everything seems back to normal besides the fact that I now have two "setup" icons and that Super User program is still there. So obviously the phone is still rooted, correct?

To un-root, shall I follow the process found here: [Tutorial] How To "Un-Root" The HTC ThunderBolt And Return It To Stock | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

Or will that give me complications with the current software, or?

I just want to get this back to stock. I know it sounds dumb, but I've already had too many problems with kernals and stuff.

Thanks to everyone who took time out of their day and was able to provide information on this entire situation. I am quite grateful I don't have a paperweight. lol. Am I allowed to hit the "thanks" button for everyone, besides secondary posts, or is it limited?

scassel

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
So I almost thought it was all bad when it was installing and then said "system - fail-uz".

It took forever to boot up, but everything seems back to normal besides the fact that I now have two "setup" icons and that Super User program is still there. So obviously the phone is still rooted, correct?

If SU is still there, then yes, you still have root.

jcase was instrumental in the root of the device. This would be the corrrect tutorial to follow to get fully back to stock.

Thanks to everyone who took time out of their day and was able to provide information on this entire situation. I am quite grateful I don't have a paperweight. lol. Am I allowed to hit the "thanks" button for everyone, besides secondary posts, or is it limited?

I think you are limited to a finite number of "Thanks" per day. Five rings a bell.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Reactions: Andy19

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. Thanks, dude.

And once again, thanks to everyone.

I hope no one else runs into this problem, but obviously they will be able to get up and running again.

I'll either post later or edit this later to let you know how it goes with the un-rooting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary