Wireless Tether IS still available on the market -> here's how you get it

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Place your THUNDERBOLT in airplane mode, then enable your wifi... open your market and seach for Wireless Tether and it will be there... I just tried the regular way and it wasn't there but then I followed these instructions and it is there for you to DL ;)

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
This place is going to be flooded with new root users once the deadline for free tethering expires.
That is pretty much the only reason I havent rooted yet... YES I hate the bloatware but I can deal with it for another month.. I cant deal w/out wireless tether.... Another reason I haven't rooted yet is because no ROM's are really all that appealing to me yet... I am coming from the incredible which had a few good daily drivers with no real bugs... when I do root I will probably stay stock and just debloat my phone...

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
is it not safe on the phone itself?

and does anyone know if Verizon can detect tethering?
What rsk2mc meant by "safe" is more or less a figure of speech... meaning not to have to go through the hassle of finding the APK from a site and installing it again :)

and yes I am almost certain verizon can tell if you are "stealing" free hotspot from them, however (and don't quote me on this) you will most likely be fine if you are not going over 2gb a month... try to stay under the "radar". there are soooo many verizon customers, i think it would be kinda hard to go after all of the people abusing the free wireless tether app... but like I said if you stay under the radar and aren't using a ton of GB a month, you should be fine.. I used free wireless tether on my incredible for a long time and never had any issues.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
i have a stock rooted TB. how did you get this copied over to the SD card? I installed it, but "copy to SD card" is greyed out :(
I am almost certain ROOT EXPLORER app can do it, or a free version (just as good but not quite as user friendly) SUPER MANAGER app can work too...here is the link for the detailed instructions on how to use Super Manager app http://gpc.sg1004.myweb.hinet.net/supermanager_manual.pdf

Last edited:

cashmoney805

May 7, 2011
Visit site
What rsk2mc meant by "safe" is more or less a figure of speech... meaning not to have to go through the hassle of finding the APK from a site and installing it again :)

and yes I am almost certain verizon can tell if you are "stealing" free hotspot from them, however (and don't quote me on this) you will most likely be fine if you are not going over 2gb a month... try to stay under the "radar". there are soooo many verizon customers, i think it would be kinda hard to go after all of the people abusing the free wireless tether app... but like I said if you stay under the radar and aren't using a ton of GB a month, you should be fine.. I used free wireless tether on my incredible for a long time and never had any issues.
hmm, I wonder how they see it. Obviously they can see data usage, but that could just be someone watching a lot of videos on their phone or something.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
hmm, I wonder how they see it. Obviously they can see data usage, but that could just be someone watching a lot of videos on their phone or something.
Not just watching but DLing pirated movies through your phone to your computer... generally a movie is around 700mb to 1gb, if someone is DLing 5 a month, THAT is alot of usage. I used my incredible alot for general use and rarely went over 2gb a month.

Last edited:

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the manual. Will def come in handy. Still getting used to Android as this is my first one. :)
Your in the right place for help... I am a member a few popluar android forums and this is my favorite by far... people are nicer, and you don't have 8000 posts to read through to find your answer :)

cashmoney805

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Not just watching but DLing pirated movies through your phone to your computer... generally a movie is around 700mb to 1gb, if someone is DLing 5 a month, THAT is alot of usage. I used my incredible alot for general use and rarely went over 2gb a month.
well yea, I'm just asking how they distinguish between someone that uses their phone a butt load vs someone who is tethering. If they look at data alone, it would be unfair of them to discriminate between the two. A lot of data usage doesn't automatically mean someone is tethering.

apresseven

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
well yea, I'm just asking how they distinguish between someone that uses their phone a butt load vs someone who is tethering. If they look at data alone, it would be unfair of them to discriminate between the two. A lot of data usage doesn't automatically mean someone is tethering.
1. They don't distinguish...they just care about the bottom line....how many GB you are using. I used 60 GB this month and haven't heard a peep. (Rooted, Tethered)
2. Once you are in the upper 5% of users...they might bring a hammer down under the fair usage provisions of the contract.
3. To me ...unlimited means "Unlimited" and they have spent millions advertising the "unlimited" plan with no significant disclaimers. Additionally almost every state has false advertising statutes that would prevent Verizon from getting a competitive advantage through false advertising ...so when push comes to shove...unlimited means unlimited.