rooting n00b

ksheth2130

May 13, 2011
Visit site
The HTC ThunderBolt is my first Android phone, so I'm new to the whole rooting game. I've been reading the posts on this forum for over a week getting familiar with how to root and change roms/kernals/etc.

I know that if I decide to finally root my phone, the warranty is therefore void. My question is that if soemthing happens to my phone (anything other than bricking) and I need to take it to Verizon for support, is there a way to get it back to factory stock and Verizon not knowing it was rooted in the first place? Thanks.

By the way, wanting to root to get rid of bloatware and the new Das BAMF 2.0-5 looks enticing.

aBoldPatriotsFan

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Gods luck with rooting. I too was a first time android user with the thunderbolt. I rooted it within a week of buying it. It's easy and I did the long way. Which I feel is just better. Not 100% since i havent tried auto root.

Let the flashing begin. You will not stop flashing stuff. Good luck.

Sent from Tapatalk using my ThunderBolt.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
For what it's worth, I'd stay away from any Gingerbread ROMs for now, at least until the bugs have been worked out that's causing some folks to end up with bricked phones.

The latest DasBAMF froyo-based ROM is 1.7...that's probably a safer starting point if you want to venture into the custom ROM realm.

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can return to preroot status. Follow the autoroot method to a T. If you need service and you can, then follow the auto un-root method. All post have a sticky so they are easy to find. Then if you do brick or afraid the all seeing eye might find you out, have you ever heard of insurance fraud? I do not condone the latter! well, maybe.