Flashing Stuff

alphatronix

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Im about to try flashing my first rom. I read up on installing them and stuff but before i do, im curious, what does Radio mean in terms of ROMS. i hear about them alot but not sure what role they play. Also, gingerbread bricking, i dont know anything about that except that it happens while messing with the radio or something like that.

Also, what should b my first Rom and what advantages would i gain from installing a different ROM from stock.

Also, ROM Manager and titanium backups store everything on the SD card, so after flashing a new ROM, i just need to install Titanium backup and restore my apps and if i dont like the ROM, i can use Rom manager to restore my current stock? right? lol srry for dummy questions.

Thanks
Ant

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You really only need to change your radio if your planning on flashing one of the Gingerbread roms otherwise your fine. If your flashing GB you will need flash the rom first and before rebooting you will need to update your radio in hboot. Another thing to remember is if you do update your radio make sure you remove the file from your sdcard after flashing.

I prefer custom roms over the stock because they will have all the bloatware removed and some modification the developer added. You will need to try a few to see which one you like the best BMAF seems to be the favorite.

Before flashing make sure you did a backup in recovery or in rom manager which is the same thing. You then fan revert back to that if needed. You will also want to backup your apps using TB and then after flashing just download TB from the market and restore your apps. You want to be careful of which apps you restore data to because it may give you force closes. If you restore all apps with data and find your having issues with a app just uninstall the app and restore it without data.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

alphatronix

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
ok so radio isn't something i should concern myself with atm. Just back up apps with Titanium, back up rom with Rom manager, put custom rom on sd card and use Rom manager to flash it or manually flash it with hboot. . that's my understanding.

ohh and regarding kernel, in what situation would i have to do that?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Once you have your backups made and the rom on your sdcard reboot into recovery and wipe data, cache, and in the advanced menu wipe dalvak then flash your rom. To change the kernel flash just like a rom but you don't need to wipe your data.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Changing the kernel is optional, each rom will come with one and if you feel like changing after you can but its not needed.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
BAMF 2.0.5 requires GB, should i worry about it? lol Also, what is Froyo i hear bout all the time. What would happen if i flash ROM without wiping the data and delvik? I read that sticky and i understand it, but for me to feel confortable, i prefer to ask everything i can think of before doing anything. lol. sorry.
Bamf 2.0-5 is a beta build, it's not the final version and is still in testing and being worked on... although it still runs great as it is right now. You may run into some issues, you may not. Its pretty solid for a beta build.. worst case scenerio, some apps may not work with it right now.

Froyo is the name of the android operating system running on your phone right now. As Google makes new changes to the system, they also change the name. Froyo(2.2) is what's on your phone now. Before that, it was called Eclair(2.1). The newest version is called Gingerbread (2.3) There's also Honeycomb, which is the newest version made to run on Tablets like the Motorolla Xoom. After Gingerbread, Google is working on a new Android OS called Icecream Sandwich (that's what it's being called as of now, not a definite name) which will combine the features of Honeycomb (built for tablets) and Gingerbread and have it running on phones.

As for wiping data... Yes its something you should definitely do. You want a clean install for the new rom so you don't run into any complications... worst case scenerio, you brick your phone and it becomes a paperweight. For more info, as Mclarryjr mentioned... read the guide he posted a link to.

Reactions: zero neck

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you have a backup you can restore to that most of the time if you are having issues, if you brick your phone which means it's now a paper weight then no. I have be flashing now for a few years with 3 different phones and have never bricked one. Not saying its impossibly to brick a phone but if you follow directions you shouldn't have any problems.

Reactions: zero neck

rob90262

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok just asking I am also new to the rooting process mainly rooted to get rid of bloatware but that sense 3.0 on that das bamf looks very tempting and I don't want to brick my phone also quick question when adding the mr2 radio do I update the radio before or after the Rom ???

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok just asking I am also new to the rooting process mainly rooted to get rid of bloatware but that sense 3.0 on that das bamf looks very tempting and I don't want to brick my phone also quick question when adding the mr2 radio do I update the radio before or after the Rom ???

If you want to flash onto das bamf 2.0 or the sense 3 preview rom, here's what i would do -

make a nandroid backup

check the md5 checksum of the radio, flash the radio file in hboot first (rename file pg05img.zip and reboot to bootloader), reboot phone and allow to sit for a few minutes without messing with it to let things settle.

erase pg05img file or rename it mr2 radio or whatever so it doesnt come up again by accident

reboot to recovery, wipe data, cache, and dalvik 3x each, then choose zip from sd card - flash rom.

reboot and let it sit for a few minutes to settle again.

also, when charged to 100, i would wipe battery stats in rom manager.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Here is what I did to flash GB
1. Download both the rom and radio and place on sdcard.

2. Rebooted in recovery (using rom manager) and wiped data, cache, and dalvak. You want to reboot into recovery and don't want hboot at this time since it would update your radio. I have heard some say they updated radio first but all the direction I seen said to flash rom first. So selecti g reboot into recovery in rom manager will work here.

3. Flashed ROM and after it completed before it rebooted I pulled battery. You don't want to boot the phone until the radio is installed. Put your battery back in an while holding down the volume down hit and hold the power button too. This will boot you in hboot where it will ask you if you want to to intall the radio. Using the volume key choose yes and let it update then reboot.

Your phone may reboot on its own a few times which is normal and you will have to give it a few minutes before its ready to use. After you done make sure you remove the radio file from your sdcard otherwise you may have problems getting into recovery in the future.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The reason i wouldn't do both at the same time is if you get a bootloop, you will have to go thru hoops to remove the radio file and then you might have to start over.

Also if you do one at a time you can let them settle in a little bit on their own, and not both at once.

You can flash the rom before the radio, i dont think that matters really.

Reactions: mclarryjr

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The only issue I had was the camera was laggy when taking a picture on 2.05. I'm currently running his preview #4 which can be found on one of the last pages of BMAF 2 thread. Using that rom I'm not experiencing any camera or any other issues and would recommend it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech