Stock Root - Need help w/ Roms & Radios

TARIGAND

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I tried a search and couldn't find anything regarding this.

I have a rooted Thunderbolt Stock. Rooted using the MAC method and it worked flawlessly. Now I am looking to flash BAMF 1.8 (NTE or Remix), and was wondering if the radio from this thread should be flashed [ROM] [FROYO] [06.20.11] Das BAMF 1.8 - xda-developers as well. I don't see a reason to, but just wanted to get a clarification.

Thanks

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
before anything---
make a backup of your current True Stock ROM!
it'll be your saving grace backup that will be called upon if you flash any other ROM and it doesn't work. keep this backup!
backup can be done via ClockWorkModRecovery or ROM Manager
(note: a backup DOESN'T backup your radio)

now,
from your True Stock ROM to either NTE or REMIX--your current Froyo Radio will do fine.
(did you apply any radio leak to your phone?)
IF you wish to upgrade to a Gingerbread ROM, then you'll need to flash a new GB radio.

if you don't like the GB ROM, then you must flash a Froyo Radio with any Froyo ROM (for the first flash)
if your previous ROM was a GB ROM--and you're flashing another GB ROM--no need to flash a new radio (unless desired)
if your previous ROM was a GB ROMand you're flashing a Froyo ROM--you need to flash a Froyo Radio
same is true for the reverse (FroyoROM--GB ROM=new radio)

BEFORE you flash the radio/ROM
1) check the MD5 sum (can be done with astro file manager, or an app called "Hash Droid") of BOTH the Radio & the MD5 sum of the ROM
2) turn off Fastboot (home screen>menu>setting>power>fast boot)---IF fast boot is enabled, you WON'T be able to get into hboot to flash your radio

if wrong, please correct/clarify

Last edited:

TARIGAND

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
yes. much appreciated. now i do have a question. when i create a "nandroid" backup, does that include apps, or should i use MyBackup Root to back those up?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
yes. much appreciated. now i do have a question. when i create a "nandroid" backup, does that include apps, or should i use MyBackup Root to back those up?

correction update: nandroid will NOT backup apps/game data.
for that, use one of the following:

MyBackUpRoot
or
TitaniumBackUp

TB has a better interface (can also choose individual apps to backup/restore) instead of a batch back up which is the only thing allowed by MyBackUpRoot. TB gives you more control over what you can backup/restore

in addition to the nandroid backup, either of those 2 apps are used to backup apps in between your nandroid backups. also, those 2 apps can be used to repair market links that can be broken in the process of flashing a new ROM & they can also give you the option of only backing up the app/only backing up the app data/backing up BOTH the app & app data

also, make sure that BEFORE you flash a new ROM or Radio,
rule of thumb to a safe Flash is to wipe everything 3 times
wipe data cache 3 times
wipe dalvik cache 3 times
factory data/reset 3 times

if you don't--some ROM's can flash improperly--giving you errors & things that don't work properly.
better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

qzyv1r

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

No it won't include apps/games. Use titanium backup for apps stay away from system apps files, those will step on any new roms you may use later.

Reactions: project.in.process

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
No it won't include apps/games. Use titanium backup for apps stay away from system apps files, those will step on any new roms you may use later.

ah--yes--you are correct. my bad.

i'm so used to TitaniumBackUp being included in my ROM's &also on SD card that it automatically begins repopulating my freshly Flashed ROM's with my apps.

correct---use TitaniumBackup for your apps/data

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
just to clarify:

did you install/accept any updated Radio leaked or pushed by VZW?
or
are you still using the same Radio that came on the phone when you bought it?

P I T A

May 5, 2011
Visit site
MR2 radio

Noob question: can I use an MR2 or MR2.5 radio on stock root? Or do I have flash a Gingerbread ROM just to have the radio?

TARIGAND

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Noob question: can I use an MR2 or MR2.5 radio on stock root? Or do I have flash a Gingerbread ROM just to have the radio?

Welcome. Well you would have to flash a rom using thE MR2 update which can be found here:

Exclusive Leak: HTC Thunderbolt MR2 OTA Update (1.66.605.2) – Stock And Rooted Downloads | Android News, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets - Android Police

which is referenced in a question already asked in this thread here:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/92247-mr2-us-rooted-stock-users.html

Good luck

Reactions: P I T A

P I T A

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Thank you soo much for the reply. I apologize for asking a repeated question, but, I have the worst time finding the answers I need with soo many threads to look in.

Again, thanks soo much!! :)