[Guide] Upgrade to MR2+ Compatible Rom+Radio From MR1 after Root

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This guide is intended to help those who are rooted and currently running MR1/Froyo Radio+Rom combinations who wish to upgrade to MR2 based Rom and Radio combinations.

Updated to reflect Official MR2 OTA Radio as well as Chingy's Latest Leaked GB RUU Radio. Also, this has been rewritten to include ALL mr2 based roms and radios as of 7/30/11. Good luck.

*****I take no responsibility whatsoever for what you do to your device. You flash at your own risk as usual.*****

The Roms:

This process will work with all MR2 radio compatible roms. This includes almost all Gingerbread roms, as well as certain newer Froyo roms. Please read the thread of the rom you would like to flash to be certain that it is MR2 radio compatible before you attempt to flash the rom/radio combination.
All thunderbolt roms can be found here:
[ROM/KERNEL/RADIO List] Official RootzWiKi HTC Thunderbolt ROM's List - [07/30/2011]

The Radios:

There are several "MR2" compatible radios, the main one currently being the OFFICIAL MR2 OTA Radio. Additionally, there are two previous MR2 radio leaks, hereafter referred to as "Old MR2 Radio" and "MR2.5 Radio," and there has recently been a new leak of a gingerbread radio, hereafter named "Chingy's GB Leak Radio." If you are upgrading to MR2-series radios for the first time, it is probably a good idea to begin with the OFFICIAL OTA MR2 Radio, since it is officially sanctioned by Verizon, and is probably the least likely to have adverse effects on your device.

Where to find radios and radio-specific information:

"Official OTA MR2 Radio:"
[RADIO] Official OTA MR2 Radio 1.39.00.0627r [7/8/2011] - xda-developers
Direct Download: OFFICIAL OTA MR2 Radio: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25213603/1.70 PG05IMG.zip
MD5: 97c195d733f61c6a699528747aff6892

"Old MR2 Radio":
[Radio] [Leak] Official MR2 Radio 1.39.00.0508w, 0.01.69.0510w_3 - xda-developers
Direct Download: LEAKED VERSION "OLD MR2": http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25213603/MR2 radio.zip
MD5: 4072b5954bf0032103b62c5ae69cb13e

"MR2.5 Radio:"
[Radio] [Leak] [6-16-11] MR2.5 Radio - 1.39.00.0528w, 0.01.69.0602w_1 - xda-developers
Direct Download: LEAKED VERSION "MR2.5": http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25213603/Mr2.5 PG05IMG.zip
MD5: 513f5c64323876cf7c479bd21bd1dc3e

"Chingy's GB Leak Radio:"
theMikMik.com • View topic - [Radio] [Leak] [7-17-11]2.xx.xxx.x Radio New Gingerbread RUU
Direct Download: "Chingy's Leaked GB Radio": http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25213603/R(2.xx.xxx.x)PG05IMG.zip
MD5: 114206a23150a76459ae1663959ef684

Instructions - Assuming that you are rooted, and have flashed recovery in Rom Manager already:

1. Create a nandroid backup of your current set up using Rom Manager/Clockwork mod Recovery - See this guide by Cyber Warrior for more information on how to do this: http://forum.androidcentral.com/thun...underbolt.html

2. Download the MR2 compatible Rom of your choice as well as one of the above radio files - Each of the above radios currently work with these roms, and some people will see better results with one or the other. For our purposes here, if you are just beginning you should start with the OFFICIAL MR2 (first radio listed above) and as you use it you will be able to decide if it is good enough or if you would like to try another one out (which can be done at a later time if you choose to switch). Place the rom file on your SD card where you can find it, and place the radio file on the root of your sd card. Root of sd card means that the file is placed in the MAIN DIRECTORY of your sd card, and not within any folders. At this point, you need to rename the radio file that you have just placed on to the root of your SD Card. The file HAS TO BE NAMED PG05IMG.zip ("zero five" in the middle, not "oh five".) If you are using a PC, make sure that the file does not have ".zip.zip" at the end, because PC's often have hidden file extensions, this is a common problem. Notice: If there is ALREADY a file named PG05IMG.zip on the root (no folder) of your SD card, you should rename, move, or delete it BEFORE CONTINUING.

3. Check MD5 checksums for roms and radios. Especially radios. How to check an md5 sum: Place the file on your sd card, and use Astro File manager to navigate to the file - long press the file, and select preferences, and it should show you an option to calculate the md5. Or, download an app called Hash droid, navigate to your file, and use hash droid to calculate the md5 sum. Either way, compare the string of characters that are generated with the string of numbers listed with the downloads (I've listed the md5 for the radios, and the rom threads in which you download your MR2 radio compatible rom .zip files should contain the md5 with the dl). In fact, just use astro bc you will need to have a file manager of some sort later on, and it may as well be astro, for now, at least.

4. Your radio file has been renamed PG05IMG.zip (zero five in the middle not "oh" five) and the file is on the Root of your SD card. ***Make sure you have enough battery power to flash the radio completely!!! 30% at least. Power off your phone, and then power back on while holding the power button and the volume down button together. This will bring you to hboot, a white screen with skater androids at the bottom. In hboot, you navigate up and down with the volume rocker, and select with the power button. Select Bootloader, allow for the phone to scan for the PG05IMG.zip file you have placed on the sd card, and then press volume up to accept the installation. When this is completed, you can reboot your phone.

5. Erase or rename the PG05IMG.zip file from your sd card, or else it will be found every time you enter HBOOT and will prevent you from accessing Recovery Mode. You can use a file manager to delete/rename this file, or you can connect your sd card to the computer via usb to do so.

6. You have just flashed your radio file, but you do not have radio connectivity because the MR1 Rom you are using is not supported by the MR2 radio you have just flashed. That's ok, because you have already downloaded your MR2 compatible rom and placed it on your sd card where you can find it again. Since you have already made a nandroid backup with rom manager, you are ready to proceed to flash your rom.

7. Power off your phone and once again boot up into Hboot (power on with power and volume down held together). This time, select Recovery, and when the phone reboots in Clockworkmod recovery mode, Wipe data, cache partition, and dalvik cache (under Advanced in recovery) 2+ TIMES EACH!!! Next, under Mounts and Storage, perform the FORMAT SYSTEM option. BTW, in recovery mode you navigate around with volume keys, and select items by pressing the home key. You can go back by either pressing the back arrow key or by pressing the power button.

8. While still in recovery, Install zip from sd card > Choose zip from sd card > find your Rom .zip and select. Allow to install, then select Reboot system now, and allow 10-15 min for your phone to load the rom (sometimes this takes a while, don't panic and let it do it's thing. If it takes more than fifteen minutes, do a battery pull, and repeat steps 6 and 7).

9. After boot up allow at least 5 minutes of not messing with your phone for the radio, rom, and kernel to settle in.

Okay!!!

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How to upgrade to GB Sense rom and radio from Froyo

Additional info:

Kernels usually come baked into the rom, so when you flash a rom it contains a kernel. Put simply, kernels basically control the power consumption aspects between the phone's hardware and software. Sometimes you will want to flash a different kernel to get different effects - maybe more power, or less battery usage, or faster charging, etc.

How to flash a kernel:

Download the kernel and place the file on your sd card. Make a nandroid backup. In recovery mode, clear cache partition and dalvik cache (these are optional steps but I always do it). Install zip from sd card - choose zip from sd card - select the kernel. Once it's done, you can reboot system now. You can check tomake sure the kernel changed by going to Settings - About phone - Software.

Where to Download GB Sense Kernels:

[GB Kernel] leanKernel: minimalistic kernel (3.3.8GBtest 6/27/11, v3.1.6cm7 6/17/11) - xda-developers

With GB SENSE roms you should use one of Imoseyon's GB SENSE leanKernels - there are a couple options to choose from (these numbers correspond to the numbers in imoseyon's thread btw):

1. leankernel - this is the latest leankernel test - a stripped down kernel that is good on battery life.
2. 184 mhz - this is a version of the leanKernel that can be unlocked down to 184 mhz - THIS CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS on some phones. Not recommended for new users.
3. stock kernel - this explains itself right ;)
4. usb fix - flash this as you would a kernel to fix usb disk mounting on the latest series of leanKernel.
5. 2.5.3test7 - a previous kernel build that was stable and supports fast charging.
6. nerozehl's dreamKernel - a less stripped down kernel based off imoseyon's leanKernel that has additional features enabled such as call recording. more info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1099996

A list of all available kernels for AOSP and Sense-based Roms:
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php...otzWiKi-HTC-Thunderbolt-ROM-s-List-07-30-2011

Last edited:

acmorris

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide] Upgrade to GB Sense Rom+Radio from FROYO for beginner

Hey zero in Step 7 of the radio file rename should capital PG05IMG.zip right, rest looks good to me! Thank You will help others out trying the flash a Rom of Das Bamf.

P.S. might want to include removing the radio file once they let Rom settle in after a few minutes, so when the person reboots it will not put them onto a bootloop either!

Reactions: zero neck

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Hey zero in Step 7 of the radio file rename should capital PG05IMG.zip right, rest looks good to me! Thank You will help others out trying the flash a Rom of Das Bamf.

P.S. might want to include removing the radio file once they let Rom settle in after a few minutes, so when the person reboots it will not put them onto a bootloop either!

ah true thanks, you're right

acmorris

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

ah true thanks, you're right
May want to add a point to end for the updated kernels out at the end of OP as well for Dream & Imo updated kernels. Put how to wipe and flash the updated kernels as well.

That is all continue on with your hard work?!!

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

May one to add point to end for the updated kernels out at the end of OP as well for Dream & Imo updated kernels. Put how to wipe and flash the updated kernels as well.

That is all continue with on with hard work?!!

Good idea i'll get on that later tonight if i get a chance

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Good work Zero ;) perhaps you will get "stickied"

your becoming a thunderBolt Pville :)

russ2387

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Thank you so much for this! I flashed roms all the time on my d1. But wasn't sure on the right steps for flashing the radios for gb. I have been looking for this info. Now I can do it with confidence. :cool:

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

haha yeah right
Have you tried BAMF GingerRemix 2.1 yet, and if so, how does it differ from bamf sense 3.0 RC3... Right now I am rockin gingerRemix 2.1 with ADWex overtop of it and I really like it... the only thing is that I have to fix permissions every so often with the ToolKit. other than that is is working really good as a daily driver. I guess the only thing I notice is battery life and the sense 3.0 lockscreen since I have ADW .. just wondering ;)

SpeedJunkie69

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

The radio just finished flashing. I played with the ROM for a minute before flashing the radio, and it worked great. Thanks so much for your help!

russ2387

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

quick question... was about to move the radio from my computer to the phone i renamed it PG05IMG.zip but there already a file on the root of the sd card with that name.... 400mb... should i replace it now ?? if i delete it will it pork me?

russ2387

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

... just reread step 2, saying NOT to change the name yet... nm..

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

... just reread step 2, saying NOT to change the name yet... nm..

Wait if there was already a file named PG05IMG.zip on your sd card you should rename it or delete it now.

It's probably still there from when you rooted (a ruu file probably), if you rooted recently - you don't need that file any more.

So get rid of that file and then later on in the steps i think you will rename the MR 2 radio and flash that in hboot.

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried BAMF GingerRemix 2.1 yet, and if so, how does it differ from bamf sense 3.0 RC3... Right now I am rockin gingerRemix 2.1 with ADWex overtop of it and I really like it... the only thing is that I have to fix permissions every so often with the ToolKit. other than that is is working really good as a daily driver. I guess the only thing I notice is battery life and the sense 3.0 lockscreen since I have ADW .. just wondering ;)

I used 2.1 remix for a little over a day - it was awesome. But i really like the way sense 3 looks, so i'm using rc3. It's not that much different, but in some ways it's a little more boring than 2.1 remix bc of all the theming remixes have. At the same time, rc3 has the 3d-looking htc widgets, carousel effect, etc. It's pretty awesome.

I also haven't needed fix permissions with rc2 or rc3, and everything works that i use basically.

There is a small amount of lag sometimes, especially when moving around icons on the homescreen. I overclock to 1.2 however and most of the time the rom is very snappy.

Battery life is good. If not as good as 2.1 it's pretty close.

Reactions: ssethv

russ2387

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Wait if there was already a file named PG05IMG.zip on your sd card you should rename it or delete it now.

It's probably still there from when you rooted (a ruu file probably), if you rooted recently - you don't need that file any more.

So get rid of that file and then later on in the steps i think you will rename the MR 2 radio and flash that in hboot.

ok will do. thanks

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

I used 2.1 remix for a little over a day - it was awesome. But i really like the way sense 3 looks, so i'm using rc3. It's not that much different, but in some ways it's a little more boring than 2.1 remix bc of all the theming remixes have. At the same time, rc3 has the 3d-looking htc widgets, carousel effect, etc. It's pretty awesome.

I also haven't needed fix permissions with rc2 or rc3, and everything works that i use basically.

There is a small amount of lag sometimes, especially when moving around icons on the homescreen. I overclock to 1.2 however and most of the time the rom is very snappy.

Battery life is good. If not as good as 2.1 it's pretty close.
Thanks dude. I am just going to sit tight on 2.1 since I have ADW and get the same carousel effect...

again, Great job on this thread and congrats on the stickiness ;)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Thanks dude. I am just going to sit tight on 2.1 since I have ADW and get the same carousel effect...

again, Great job on this thread and congrats on the stickiness ;)

Thanks sseth.

I might restore my 2.1 nand while I wait for rc4 to drop.

How does the adw carousel look ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol