Will the new gb radios brick the tb?

russ2387

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I know that there was a problem of gb bricking some phones. But with the new radios is that fixed? Or should I stick with froyo? I'm assuming it was a radio issue...

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I know that there was a problem of gb bricking some phones. But with the new radios is that fixed? Or should I stick with froyo? I'm assuming it was a radio issue...

The radio that was thought to be bricking phones was the alpha gingerbread radio, which nobody is using.

MR2 and MR2.5 are considered safe - They probably won't harm your device but there is always an off chance that could happen with any flash.

Just make sure to chekc the md5 sum for the radio before you flash it - if the character strings match the download is good/file's complete, and when you flash a radio make sure you have enough battery (30% or so) to get thru the entire process of flashing and rebooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssethv and SoDev

aBoldPatriotsFan

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I am on MR2 and have had zero issues, not even a reboot. you should be good to go :)

+1 for MR2. Same as SSETHV said. I have no reboots and no other issues. MR2.5 Produced reboots so if you flash it you may get discouraged and since you might already be on the fence about flashing. I would flash MR2 instead. Many people not just me have reported MR2.5 reboots.

Reactions: ssethv

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
+1 for MR2. Same as SSETHV said. I have no reboots and no other issues. MR2.5 Produced reboots so if you flash it you may get discouraged and since you might already be on the fence about flashing. I would flash MR2 instead. Many people not just me have reported MR2.5 reboots.

True. I haven't had a single reboot though. Just saying.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
i'm also using 2.5 - no reboots that i can remember. i switched from 2 to 2.5 because i thought mr2 wasn't handing off from 3g to 4g as quick as i would like (i live in a very good 4g area).

I think basically if one works, awesome, if it's not working the way you want, try the other.

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Was running MR2 for a while without any issues. Just upgraded a few days ago to the MR2.5 and for me it is working way better. I had some problems with flashing the radio... phone went into a boot loop. Wiped the phone and reinstalled Bamf and phone is working so much better now. I'm picking up a 3G data signal in my home which I never even had service in and battery life has improved... most likely due to the better signal. Everyone is having mixed results but for me... 2.5 is better then MR2.

ebrown126

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Was running MR2 for a while without any issues. Just upgraded a few days ago to the MR2.5 and for me it is working way better. I had some problems with flashing the radio... phone went into a boot loop. Wiped the phone and reinstalled Bamf and phone is working so much better now. I'm picking up a 3G data signal in my home which I never even had service in and battery life has improved... most likely due to the better signal. Everyone is having mixed results but for me... 2.5 is better then MR2.

Cyber - how did you get out of the boot loop? I fell into one the other day when I was upgrading to Bamf Sense 3.0 RC3.

I deteted my older GB radio from the SD card then did a Nandroid, which I'm sure was stupid. I hit reboot and found myself in a loop. Finally after several attempts I was able to get into CW and boot into recovery to wipe and flash.

dhyamato

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had some odd reboots with 2.5 and reverted to 2. All is well in GB land with exception to an issue with the audio quality with video recordings.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Cyber - how did you get out of the boot loop? I fell into one the other day when I was upgrading to Bamf Sense 3.0 RC3.

I deteted my older GB radio from the SD card then did a Nandroid, which I'm sure was stupid. I hit reboot and found myself in a loop. Finally after several attempts I was able to get into CW and boot into recovery to wipe and flash.

Same exact way... the boot loops happened as soon as I was rebooting from installing the MR2.5 radio. I took the sd card out of my phone.. put it in my computers card reader and deleted the pg05img.zip so I could get back into recovery through bootloader. Wiped my whole phone... reflashed the bamf rom and mr2.5 radio again and after that, everything has been running perfect... better battery.. better signal. It was a pain in the azz but definitely worth it.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I am going to Flash MR2.5 while I am bored at work... ill post back with my results :)

Update - Just Flashed with No issues so far :)

Last edited:

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

You know, now that you mention it, I used to lose signal in my bathroom at work (4g), but have had signal lately. I'll test it later to confirm.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Since I flashed the new Radio at lunch today. I have had absolutely no problems... IN FACT, my phone battery seems to be doing better. and GPS locks instantly. I used nav and doggcatcher at the same time for almost 2 hrs today with no charger and barely any battery loss... I cant comment on 4g because we are covered in a thick blanket of it where I live. but everything else is running great... actually really glad that I flashed :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital