This gets confusing....

breugel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I got the thunderbolt on the first day but the problems are getting out of hand.The data comes and goes at will and this is killing me. When it is there it is great but in 5 min i will loose the data for a while. The reboot where it does not power back on has also caused me some issues.

This is what I need

stable 4g and 3g data
no more reboots
better battery life if possible
working camera and vid
google voice
wifi tethering would be a big plus after the 7th

What Rom / kernel should I use. I do not want Beta but one that is stable.
Thanks

breugel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Personally I've only loaded BAMF ROM's... after that it's your choice on Froyo or Gingerbread... then Sense version... it's all about personal choices... and there are plenty of personal choices.

Check out >>The Official Thunderbolt ROMs and Kernels Listing 2.0<<
That the thing I have looked over the list... the ting is there are so many choices. probably froyo sense to get the stability I want. I just want the phone to work.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
You are overlooking one very important piece...the radio.

First off, which software are you CURRENTLY running, and with which RADIO? (If you not sure, go to Options > About Phone > Software information...what is your software number, build number and baseband version?).

Based on your criteria, I recommend running the ROM I'm currently running, DasBAMF 1.8. I like the Remix, but the Standard version is good too. I have tried the GB Roms, and while there are a lot of nice features, if you're looking for stability and battery life, then 1.8 (Froyo) is the way to go.
Remix: [ROM] [06.20.11] BAMF Remix 1.8 - HUGE TOOLKIT UPDATE PLUS MORE! - xda-developers
Standard: [ROM] [FROYO] [06.20.11] Das BAMF 1.8 - xda-developers

I currently run the BAMF Remix 1.8 with the "1.13.605.7 CDMA and 1.12.605.6 LTE radio".
Different devices seem to all handle the radios a little differently, but the most recent Froyo radio, that I'd start probably start with is the "1.13.605.7 CDMA/LTE radio combo"
Radios can be found here: [RADIO] The Obligatory Thunderbolt Radio Thread - xda-developers
The first 4 listed are the radios that are compatible with most of the Froyo ROMS (pre-MR2)
**If you're not sure how to flash a radio, please ask questions here first. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR MD5 PRIOR TO FLASHING**

With my current config, I'm getting every item you list as requirements. ROM runs fast, smooth, and battery life is fantastic.

Last edited:

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Pete ^^^ post and would recommend using any of BAMF rom's, I have run many different version of their rom's and have never had any issues with any of the ones you listed.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I am running gingerRemix 2.1 and the toolkit is absolutely amazing, despite a few FCs once in a while I cant go back to froyo, EVER!!! I flashed MR2.5 and get much better 4g coverage and GPS locks instantly. battery life is better too. If I had to go back I would be running 1.8 as well, it is an EXCELLENT Rom IMO... I guess I am fortunate because I have never had a reboot or any issues really. WIFI works great too.

wifi tethering would be a big plus after the 7th

if you already have the TB and a plan you don't need to worry about the seventh, you wont be effected untill you want to upgrade to another phone :)

Reactions: zero neck

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I am running gingerRemix 2.1 and the toolkit is absolutely amazing, despite a few FCs once in a while I cant go back to froyo, EVER!!! I flashed MR2.5 and get much better 4g coverage and GPS locks instantly. battery life is better too. If I had to go back I would be running 1.8 as well, it is an EXCELLENT Rom IMO... I guess I am fortunate because I have never had a reboot or any issues really. WIFI works great too.

if you already have the TB and a plan you don't need to worry about the seventh, you wont be effected untill you want to upgrade to another phone :)

Basically, BAMF 1.8 is "1.7 + the new toolkit", so you do get that with 1.8. Won't argue about gingerbread and BAMF 2.1 ROM...it's pretty sweet. I had my own issues with it (radio related), and for what I needed, decided to go back to Froyo. I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that the 1.8 Froyo Rom is more stable though, if for no reason other than there still no kernel source for GB.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Basically, BAMF 1.8 is "1.7 + the new toolkit", so you do get that with 1.8. Won't argue about gingerbread and BAMF 2.1 ROM...it's pretty sweet. I had my own issues with it (radio related), and for what I needed, decided to go back to Froyo. I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that the 1.8 Froyo Rom is more stable though, if for no reason other than there still no kernel source for GB.
Good luck dude... wish I could be more of help to you... BUT I am glad your ROM is running smoothly for you :) in the end, personal choice is all that matter, as well as a stable daily driver :)

Reactions: paintdrinkingpete

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Software is 1.13.605.7
Baseband 1.16.00.0402w_1

You are running "MR1".

So if I run DasBAMF 1.8 then I would be fine with my radio correct?
What is the difference between the standard and remix?

Would I still be able to tether? (the way I look at it I am only going to pay for data once)

Just follow the procedures here http://forum.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/72524-procedure-how-root-thunderbolt-adb-windows.html to root. and i am on my way correct?

Yes, your radio will work fine with the BAMF 1.8 and all pre-MR2 Froyo Roms.

To gain root, assuming you're using Windows computer, I'd recommend the auto-root method:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/thu...unroot-windows-updated-5-20-w-mr1-update.html

Keep in mind that there is no way to root the TB without wiping the data. Make sure your contacts and anything that can be backed up is backed up and all that jazz (unfortunately, you have to root a device before you can really back up everything...catch 22).

Read through the instructions first, then proceed...slowly. It's not a difficult process, but one that must be preformed correctly and in order.

After you root, install Rom Manager app and flash Clockwork Mod Recovery, so that you can install custom ROMs. Also, you may want to check out my guide for backing up and restoring data when installing new ROMs, which will make the process much easier in the future.

Oh, to answer your tether question, Yes, once you've rooted you can install "wireless tether" that should work just fine (does for me). Just beware that tethering in this manner is, of course, against VZW's TOS.

Reactions: _Wes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37