Hi all, new to the forum. Looking for a tablet whose main use will be in cockpit of general aviation aircraft. Screen brightness is very important for daylight readability in this application. Interested in any and all impressions of Excite 305s brightness. For comparison purposes, an answer in units of nits would be most helpful.

Thanks.

Greg
    05-16-2012 09:50 AM
    Hi all, new to the forum. Looking for a tablet whose main use will be in cockpit of general aviation aircraft. Screen brightness is very important for daylight readability in this application. Interested in any and all impressions of Excite 305s brightness. For comparison purposes, an answer in units of nits would be most helpful.

Thanks.

Greg
    Hello Greg ... Welcome!!

I will try my tablet out in the sun today and let you know what I find. I am not sure what you mean by "nits" though.

05-16-2012 10:07 AM
    Hello Greg ... Welcome!!

I will try my tablet out in the sun today and let you know what I find. I am not sure what you mean by "nits" though.

Thanks for the welcome.

nit is the unit of luminace = candela per square meter (cd/m^2)

SEE: Candela per square metre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1000 nits would be ideal for daylight viewing, but is unheard of in tablets. Asus TF201 claims 600 nits while TF300 is only 350.
    05-16-2012 11:08 AM
    In terms of nits, the Prime and Motorola XYBoard 10.1 are by far the brightest and have significantly more luminance than the Excite 10. That said, the Excite's screen is legible outdoors in daylight but obviously loses contrast.
    gfvalvo likes this.
    05-16-2012 01:37 PM

Thanks.

Greg
    Greg ... Fortunately Mobile Tech Review came along with tech specifics.

I did take the tab outside in the bright sunlight and I was able to see everything, in fact, much better than I can see on my phone while outdoors.
    gfvalvo likes this.
    05-16-2012 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD