Transferring contacts to Thrive

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
As a newbie tableteer, I want to avoid manually entering almost 200 contacts one at a time. My complete contact database is in my Inspire 4G.

I attempted to transfer them to my Thrive via BT but, not surprisingly, failed. The two devices paired but didn't connect, whatever that means. (I think the Thrive connects only to peripherals via BT.)

Most of my contacts are also in Outlook on my puters.

Do you experienced tableteers have suggestions, please?

P.S. I don't do the cloud.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
And what about transferring Outlook calendar data from puter to Thrive? Impossible?

I can transfer Outlook calendar data to my Inspire but I attribute that capability to HTC Sync. (Primitive though it is, it works.)

Last edited:

hogman3939

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
If you use Outlook as your master for Contacts and Calendar then I'd recommend you buy Companionlink software which will keep your Outlook Contacts/Calendar constantly synced with your Google Contacts/Calendar on your Android phone and/or tablet. I've been using it ever since I got an Android phone and didn't want to double enter all the time.

You can try it free for 14 days before ponying up the $50 which sounds like a lot but once you set it up you forget about it and it constantly syncs in the background. Go to the below url if you're interested:

Sync Google with Outlook - Sync contacts and calendar -- CompanionLink Software

Reactions: hummingbirdhill

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I maintain all my calendar stuff and contacts on my local puter clients. :)

Gsyncit is an additional alternative for syncing Outlook contacts, calendar, and notes with your gmail account. At $15 for the full version and a free version that limits the number of notes you can syncronize, it is a less expensive alternative and works well. My reluctance in trusting Google to manage confidencial information that I retain in my clients' information allowed me to only use the calendar and note features but they worked well. Recently I have gone to a hosted Exchange Server and solved all of my syncronization issues and now my office PC, laptop, phone, and tablets are perfectly syncronized for email, contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes. I will admit that notes does require an extra program on the tablets to keep them up to date, but that is only necessary if you utilize notes in Outlook.

IT Service Professional I Just Want My Device to Be Productive

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Gsyncit is an additional alternative for syncing Outlook contacts, calendar, and notes with your gmail account. At $15 for the full version and a free version that limits the number of notes you can syncronize, it is a less expensive alternative and works well. My reluctance in trusting Google to manage confidencial information that I retain in my clients' information allowed me to only use the calendar and note features but they worked well.

IT Service Professional I Just Want My Device to Be Productive

I agree with not trusting google (or any cloud) with my email and calendar data. I do everything possible not to compromise my students' personal and academic info.

Actually, I just discovered that the one 'n' only pre-loaded calendar is google's. DUH Being so accustomed to HTC Sense combined with android os, I am spoiled by always having a pre-loaded nongoogle calendar on my devices. So . . . I suppose I'll need to find and download one--if that's possible!

Does anyone in here have recommendations for non-cloud, local client calendars???

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I agree with not trusting google (or any cloud) with my email and calendar data. I do everything possible not to compromise my students' personal and academic info.

I personally have never had any problems with Google compromising my address book or calendar, but to each their own.

Another option for blue tooth syncing your data might be loading on Astro File Manager and Astro bluetooth plugin. I have used the Astro FileManager to transfer everything from pictures to contacts and it worked extremely well.

Druskey

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried exporting your contact files from Outlook into a compatible format (.CSV I believe is the correct format), saving that file to a memory stick, and then transferring them to your Thrive's internal storage?

You should be able to go into your contacts on your Thrive, select import/export, import from storage, and load your contacts from the saved file.

I haven't tried this personally, but it seems like that should work in theory without having to buy any other software.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if it does/doesn't because I'm curious.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried exporting your contact files from Outlook into a compatible format (.CSV I believe is the correct format), saving that file to a memory stick, and then transferring them to your Thrive's internal storage?

You should be able to go into your contacts on your Thrive, select import/export, import from storage, and load your contacts from the saved file.

I haven't tried this personally, but it seems like that should work in theory without having to buy any other software.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if it does/doesn't because I'm curious.

When I checked you can import your contacts into the Thrive, but it only recognizes vcard. I also noticed that you only have the option to create a Google or a corporate calendar, but you can create a Google calendar and set it not to synchronize with Google.

IT Service Professional - I Just Want My Device to Be Productive

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
When I checked you can import your contacts into the Thrive, but it only recognizes vcard. I also noticed that you only have the option to create a Google or a corporate calendar, but you can create a Google calendar and set it not to synchronize with Google.

I had wondered if the google cal can be set to not sync. It's so huge and clunky to me, but if it works well . . .

I've seen several "offline" calendars in the "andy" market but they don't appear to be really recently updated and I'm suspicious of how they might/mightn't work. An offline calendar would be my preference, by far.

EDIT: SPrime, I've never used a vcard; would you please elaborate on that? I mean, can I save my contacts in a vcard file format? Or what?

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I had wondered if the google cal can be set to not sync. It's so huge and clunky to me, but if it works well . . .

I've seen several "offline" calendars in the "andy" market but they don't appear to be really recently updated and I'm suspicious of how they might/mightn't work. An offline calendar would be my preference, by far.

EDIT: SPrime, I've never used a vcard; would you please elaborate on that? I mean, can I save my contacts in a vcard file format? Or what?

Vcard is like creating a virtual or electronic business card for each contact. The intended use is to allow someone to send their vcard to another person as an attachment so that they can just drop it into contacts in Outlook without having to type it in. It works ok to initially transfer contacts but it is a nightmare for synchronization. Doesn't your school offer some kind of exchange email and do they allow mobile device access?

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Vcard is like creating a virtual or electronic business card for each contact. The intended use is to allow someone to send their vcard to another person as an attachment so that they can just drop it into contacts in Outlook without having to type it in. It works ok to initially transfer contacts but it is a nightmare for synchronization. Doesn't your school offer some kind of exchange email and do they allow mobile device access?

Thank you kindly for your explanation of the vcard; I think you saved me a lot of grief.

No, our Arkansas state colleges, as far as I know, have no exchange email (well, U of A may). I wish my school did have mobile access; when I taught for U of A in Little Rock, I had my ualr.edu email forwarded to my personal inbox (Outlook, etcetera), although I replied through the ualr.edu email system. But .edu email at the (smaller) college I teach for now is a closed system and cannot even be forwarded! Fortunately, I've been teaching all my classes online the past three years so I use my own (offcampus) writing studio puters, etcetera, and my students are required to use the email within the teaching software (Blackboard) on the school servers.

How my email works on my Thrive is really weird to me:
My ISP email server is accessed, of course, to get my email. I have several impersonal folders there, all empty now, but occasionally used for a few temporary emails. Those folders appear on my Thrive email and I can access and delete and reply to an email from the folders. All I want on my Thrive is to receive and reply to email. After I set up my Inspire email last February, the first time or two that I checked Inspire email, I saw those folders on the ISP email server, but never again. Can you tell me why that is happening? (I've done cell phone email since 2002 and had never had that occur.) I'm just curious.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you kindly for your explanation of the vcard; I think you saved me a lot of grief.

No, our Arkansas state colleges, as far as I know, have no exchange email (well, U of A may). I wish my school did have mobile access; when I taught for U of A in Little Rock, I had my ualr.edu email forwarded to my personal inbox (Outlook, etcetera), although I replied through the ualr.edu email system. But .edu email at the (smaller) college I teach for now is a closed system and cannot even be forwarded! Fortunately, I've been teaching all my classes online the past three years so I use my own (offcampus) writing studio puters, etcetera, and my students are required to use the email within the teaching software (Blackboard) on the school servers.

How my email works on my Thrive is really weird to me:
My ISP email server is accessed, of course, to get my email. I have several impersonal folders there, all empty now, but occasionally used for a few temporary emails. Those folders appear on my Thrive email and I can access and delete and reply to an email from the folders. All I want on my Thrive is to receive and reply to email. After I set up my Inspire email last February, the first time or two that I checked Inspire email, I saw those folders on the ISP email server, but never again. Can you tell me why that is happening? (I've done cell phone email since 2002 and had never had that occur.) I'm just curious.

Did you set your email account up on your Thrive as pop or corporate? I have never seen a pop email account setup folders on a device, unless you copied your email to your device with a syncronization program. As to your contacts your phone has phone contacts, exchange contacts, and Google contacts, so when you syncronize from Outlook it usually goes to the phone contacts. My Thrive defaulted to Google contacts and added a corporate account when I setup my Exchange email. If you look at adding an account to contacts you only have the option to add a Google or a corporate account, so you could setup a Google contact list and set it not to syncronize, but you would have to import by vcard and you have no syncronization. Third party software exists, but the reviews are poor. We are caught in the conflict between Google and Microsoft and the fact that Google is trying to push us to the cloud. As I need syncronization with multiple devices I chose to go with hosted exchange and eliminated all of the issues.

IT Service Professional - I Just Need a Device to Be Poductive

Last edited:

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Did you set your email account up on your Thrive as pop or corporate? I have never seen a pop email account setup folders on a device, unless you copied your email to your device with a syncronization program. As to your contacts your phone has phone contacts, exchange contacts, and Google contacts, so when you syncronize from Outlook it usually goes to the phone contacts. My Thrive defaulted to Google contacts and added a corporate account when I setup my Exchange email. If you look at adding an account to contacts you only have the option to add a Google or a corporate account, so you could setup a Google contact list and set it not to syncronize, but you would have to import by vcard and you have no syncronization. Third party software exists, but the reviews are poor. We are caught in the conflict between Google and Microsoft and the fact that Google is trying to push us to the cloud. As I need syncronization with multiple devices I chose to go with hosted exchange and eliminated all of the issues.

IT Service Professional - I Just Need a Device to Be Poductive

I set up my email on Thrive as pop3. Thrive set it up quickly and easily---awesome. No third parties were involved.

Yes, my phone contacts are in the phone--not in google or exchange. And that is how I want my Thrive contacts to be---if I ever get 'em there! :) But you are saying that's not possible on the Thrive?

In the past, I've used windows mobile phones and iPaqs (and still use the latter). But Microsoft surely did spoil cell phones for me (and a lot of other users) by replacing direct sync betwixt phone and puter with cloudy sync. ;) The "andy" os is great but shortsighted me didn't foresee being forced to use the cloud with android . . .

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Okeydokey, I am entering my contacts one at a time after discovering a nonsyncing-with-google option. :)

However I reckon I shall have to find somewhere an offline calendar. A calendar is HUGE for me to stay atop academic, family, and personal commitments.

I did get the QuickOfficePro tonight but it won't permit me to create a new document; each time I click Create New Document a popup states: File not found. OK. And I say no it's not OK! About QOPro....Thrive isn't listed for a purchase so customer service instructed me to choose any tablet listed---which I attempted but all listed are 7" tabs so I chose a Flyer. This may be why no new document can be created....being the wrong sized display and different os version.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Okeydokey, I am entering my contacts one at a time after discovering a nonsyncing-with-google option. :)

However I reckon I shall have to find somewhere an offline calendar. A calendar is HUGE for me to stay atop academic, family, and personal commitments.

I did get the QuickOfficePro tonight but it won't permit me to create a new document; each time I click Create New Document a popup states: File not found. OK. And I say no it's not OK! About QOPro....Thrive isn't listed for a purchase so customer service instructed me to choose any tablet listed---which I attempted but all listed are 7" tabs so I chose a Flyer. This may be why no new document can be created....being the wrong sized display and different os version.

Try
Documents to Go
IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to be Productive

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

You may want to try Documents to Go. It works on my Flyer and my Thrive .

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
You may want to try Documents to Go. It works on my Flyer and my Thrive .

I've been studying DTG. This sounds as if it may be superior to QuickOffice. Thanks for your recommendation. :)

No download for Thrive is listed. :( I can ask Customer Service about that though.

How did you get it on both your tabs? I mean, once you pay for it can you download it on as many devices as you wish? Or maybe you are trying the free versions; that would probably make more sense. :)

I see that a desktop version exists for syncing purposes. Have you perchance tried that?

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been studying DTG. This sounds as if it may be superior to QuickOffice. Thanks for your recommendation. :)

No download for Thrive is listed. :( I can ask Customer Service about that though.

How did you get it on both your tabs? I mean, once you pay for it can you download it on as many devices as you wish? Or maybe you are trying the free versions; that would probably make more sense. :)

I see that a desktop version exists for syncing purposes. Have you perchance tried that?

If you purchase it through Android Market it is linked to your gmail address and shows in My Apps on any android tablet you use that gmail address on. I did not install the desktop app on my Droid but on my Palm it only did file sync if I remember correctly.