Why my Thrive is Going Back to Best Buy

rsix

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Looks nice. Can you make a post about why it's (if it is) better once you have a chance to fire it up? Looking forward to hearing the differences.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Looks nice. Can you make a post about why it's (if it is) better once you have a chance to fire it up? Looking forward to hearing the differences.

It looks as though the Lenovo will be availible the first week in Aug. Make sure you don't confuse it with the Lenovo IdeaPad that is currently availible. So when they are availible I will be glad to post my opinion.

IT Service Professional - I Just Want My Device to Be Productive

Last edited:

Stu2009

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes there are a bunch of new tablets on the way...either prices have to come down or the economy has to recover very fast...and with the thrive..fix the non functioning beta testing we are doing!

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes there are a bunch of new tablets on the way...either prices have to come down or the economy has to recover very fast...and with the thrive..fix the non functioning beta testing we are doing!

I agree with you. I bought a Thrive last night and am taking it back tomorrow probably. Honeycomb is pretty buggy. It's my first experience with Honeycomb, but I'm not liking it very much.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. I bought a Thrive last night and am taking it back tomorrow probably. Honeycomb is pretty buggy. It's my first experience with Honeycomb, but I'm not liking it very much.

I am sorry to hear this; do you mind sharing specifically what displeases you? (I've had an excellent Thrive experience!)

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry to hear this; do you mind sharing specifically what displeases you? (I've had an excellent Thrive experience!)

I keep hearing a lot of comments about HoneyComb being full of bugs, but honestly I have not found anything in HoneyComb that is a major problem for my tablet usage. That said, I also can find nothing that I do on my GingerBread Flyer that makes me long for HoneyComb on it. Possibly my sucess with both HC and GB is rooted in the fact that my usage is productivity based and is fairly basic.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I keep hearing a lot of comments about HoneyComb being full of bugs, but honestly I have not found anything in HoneyComb that is a major problem for my tablet usage. That said, I also can find nothing that I do on my GingerBread Flyer that makes me long for HoneyComb on it. Possibly my sucess with both HC and GB is rooted in the fact that my usage is productivity based and is fairly basic.

I don't think the HTC Flyer needs honeycomb; it has enough SENSE ;) to do well on its own.

I just want/need tablet productivity (a very basic workhorse); perhaps that is the reason I'm so enamoured with my Thrive. My Thrive takes my virtual classroom anywhere I go! :)

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Is the OP's link going to the video for anyone?

I just read a very negative review about the Thrive on "this is my next." I really don't understand the hate that's brewing for the Thrive. The tablet is heavy; no doubt. After a few adjustments, though, the overall functionality of the Thrive satisfies me. I added Docs to Go, the SwiftKey Tablet keyboard, ezPDF Reader and Dolphin browser HD- all dramatically improve the stock experience. And, the ports make my life a lot easier.

Am I the only person that likes this thing? lol.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
After you watch the Lenovo ThinkPad tablet on YouTube you may reconsider your Thrive. Priced at $499 for 32 gig and Gorilla Glass, a true digital stylus at $30 and much more.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to be Productive

I just checked out the spec's at Lenovo, the Thinkpad and the Thrive are basically the same
the Thinkpad has has a couple of extras like:
16:10 IPS panel with Corning? Gorilla? Glass
Multitouch display with digitizer input (pen optional)

The Thrive has more ports

I dont see anything there that's says WoW this thing rules all others.

I can respect your decision, but from a purely specification point of view, there is little difference. The Thinkpad will have the same software issues like the g tab and thrive have.

Hitch

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I just read a very negative review about the Thrive on "this is my next." I really don't understand the hate that's brewing for the Thrive. The tablet is heavy; no doubt. After a few adjustments, though, the overall functionality of the Thrive satisfies me. I added Docs to Go, the SwiftKey Tablet keyboard, ezPDF Reader and Dolphin browser HD- all dramatically improve the stock experience. And, the ports make my life a lot easier.

Am I the only person that likes this thing? lol.

I totally appreciate my Thrive and have no desire for a different tablet. Aware that no tablet would be perfect for me, I believe my Thrive is closer to perfection than any other current tab. My Thrive is designed and constructed for my writing and teaching; it owns the fullsized ports to facilitate my file transfers; it's super well-built and is comfortable (not too heavy) to hold; it sports easy wifi and email setup. Now that I'm finally accustomed to the android stock browser I sort of like it and haven't yet acquired either opera or dolphin; does anyone know whether opera or dolphin browsers are faster than the android on our Thrive?

I'm a very fast keyboarder. Yes, the stock KB is laggy; but it's never messed up and always catches up with me. :)

The only item I'd bad like to change is the calendar which is a huge IRK to me! I must register with my google account to add an event to the sole preloaded calendar???? Hello?? No. thank. you.

My iPad-totin' sons are jealous of all my Thrive's connections. I tell them "It's all in who you know" and they know I mean the relationship betwixt a tablet and its users' USB flash drives and SD cards! :)

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
does anyone know whether opera or dolphin browsers are faster than the android on our Thrive?

I did not try Opera. I would not call Dolphin faster than the stock browser. I just like the add-ons and features, such as swipe, that come with Dolphin. I guess I just became comfortable with the Dolphin browser on my phone.

The weight of the Thrive is a bit heavy for me. My left wrist actually aches a bit after a morning's worth of use. If I return the Thrive, the weight & bulkiness would be the primary factors.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
hummingbirdhill;1127258 does anyone know whether opera or dolphin browsers are faster than the android on our Thrive? [/QUOTE said:
I have Dolphin browser. I find its much faster when watching videos, the stock Google browser struggles with video.
I use both Dolphin and stock Google, just depends what I am doing.

Give it a try, its free and you can always uninstall it if its not to your liking.

Hitch

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I just checked out the spec's at Lenovo, the Thinkpad and the Thrive are basically the same
the Thinkpad has has a couple of extras like:
16:10 IPS panel with Corning? Gorilla? Glass
Multitouch display with digitizer input (pen optional)

The Thrive has more ports

I dont see anything there that's says WoW this thing rules all others.

I can respect your decision, but from a purely specification point of view, there is little difference. The Thinkpad will have the same software issues like the g tab and thrive have.

Hitch

I also respect your opinion and those of others and I am fast coming to the opinion that your choice in a tablet will be based on your requirements and expectations. I found the Thrive very functional, but I have requirements beyond It's capabilities, and the ThinkPad appears to address those requirements. The Android tablet market is evolving and unfortunately the "Fan Boys" set the bar, but unlike their source we have multiple vendors and a competitive market, so we have the advantage and disadvantage of multiple choices. We will sort out those choices and a platform standard will evolve. Enjoy your Thrive, my standard is based in my Flyer and the Thrive did not address significant needs beyound it. I am in no way degrading the Thrive and would rate it highly from my personal experience.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I also respect your opinion and those of others and I am fast coming to the opinion that your choice in a tablet will be based on your requirements and expectations. I found the Thrive very functional, but I have requirements beyond It's capabilities, and the ThinkPad appears to address those requirements. The Android tablet market is evolving and unfortunately the "Fan Boys" set the bar, but unlike their source we have multiple vendors and a competitive market, so we have the advantage and disadvantage of multiple choices. We will sort out those choices and a platform standard will evolve. Enjoy your Thrive, my standard is based in my Flyer and the Thrive did not address significant needs beyound it. I am in no way degrading the Thrive and would rate it highly from my personal experience.

I soooo appreciate the diversity of the andy os and am eager to hear how and what you find particularly useful on the lenovo. :)

I continue to miss the smoothness of the Flyer's Sense but I know that the Thrive is the one tablet I need; I can't justify owning two of them in my work. I also need the Thrive's 10.1" display but the Flyer was much easier to take everywhere with me. I discovered just how smoooooth the Thrive actually is this afternoon while helping my husband with his galaxy tab 7"---Man, that thing requires a stab more than a touch! :(

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, guys, since most tablets all sport the same innards and pretty much the same software, you'll run into the same problems everywhere you go (except for battery life, screen quality, etc) at this point.

Honeycomb has been a sort of "beta" OS since the release of the XOOM but things should be getting better once ICS releases since it will unify tablets and phones, thus hopefully making it better to move an app from your phone to your tablet without many issues and a better resolution and whatnot.

However, since problems such as bad playback of true HD exist due to the processor, ICS isn't going to fix that. Only the newer tablets releasing with processors such as the Kal-El from Nvidia (aka Tegra 3) should be able to work much better.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, guys, since most tablets all sport the same innards and pretty much the same software, you'll run into the same problems everywhere you go (except for battery life, screen quality, etc) at this point.

Honeycomb has been a sort of "beta" OS since the release of the XOOM but things should be getting better once ICS releases since it will unify tablets and phones, thus hopefully making it better to move an app from your phone to your tablet without many issues and a better resolution and whatnot.

However, since problems such as bad playback of true HD exist due to the processor, ICS isn't going to fix that. Only the newer tablets releasing with processors such as the Kal-El from Nvidia (aka Tegra 3) should be able to work much better.

I presume that you are referring to the current crop of HoneyComb tablets running the Tegra2 processor as being the same "innards" and omitting external connectivity, like USB, HDMI, and a card slot. So in that respect I agree and admit that HoneyComb is in evolution and that we can expect a much better experience as the Android OS matures. It appears to me that the Android tablet market is following two paths, one that follows Apple's lead of being thin with no on board connectivity and the second being thicker with on board ports. I can see a market for both, but for me I will take thicker with the convenience of direct device file transfer, like the Thrive.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Of course it hasn't honeycomb, but my husband's galaxy tab 7" is, well, rather backward and much less intuitive than the HTC Flyer and Toshiba Thrive . . . So, I 'spect that each manufacturer makes a huge difference in regard to how the andy os works. Tweaking the gt for him made me know I in no way want a Samsung tablet! (But he depends on his tablet much less than I do so it's adequate for his use.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18