Ice Cream Sandwich for Thrive?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I would say that it is very likely that the Thrive will get ICS. ICS is intended to work for phones, tablets, and computers, and it is going to have dual core optimization built into the OS. The Thrive is a relatively new device and Toshiba should want to have it run on the latest OS for a while.

As a last resort, if Toshiba becomes slow at releasing updates and holds ICS back from the users, we should be able to root and load an ICS ROM by that time.

Reactions: hummingbirdhill

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I know this is a dumb question, but gonna ask anyway. what is ice cream sandwich? :-[

It's a deeeelicious chunk of ice cream stuck betwixt a couple of chocolate (or otherwise) cookies! ;)

Android os has various versions such as cupcake, froyo (frozen yogurt), gingerbread, honeycomb. The next version is ice cream sandwich---due this autumn. ICS version is the first for both tablets and cell phones. :)

Reactions: nonie

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It's a deeeelicious chunk of ice cream stuck betwixt a couple of chocolate (or otherwise) cookies! ;)

Android os has various versions such as cupcake, froyo (frozen yogurt), gingerbread, honeycomb. The next version is ice cream sandwich---due this autumn. ICS version is the first for both tablets and cell phones. :)
sounds like its good, :D that would be a good thing for the Thrive? and will this be from Toshiba? an update for it?

as you can tell, this is my first tablet, have no idea what all the terminalogy is or what it does. :-[

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
sounds like its good, :D that would be a good thing for the Thrive? and will this be from Toshiba? an update for it?

as you can tell, this is my first tablet, have no idea what all the terminalogy is or what it does. :-[

Yes, it would be a good thing for the Thrive because it should better utilize the dual core processor of the Tegra 2.

ICS is software developed by Google, but Toshiba would be responsible for making it available for our tablets (following official channels).

Reactions: nonie

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

This forum is the finest way possible IMHO to learn more about the Thrive's operation, capabilities, possibilities, and future!

Some of us know some things and others know other things about our Thrive tablets. We can help each other gain knowledge and experience through our thriving forum threads. :)

Yes, ICS will be a major update---an upgrade if you will. As I understand it, google prepares the android os upgrades and then makes them available to the manufacturers (and 3G device carriers) who send OTA data to our devices. Please correct me, Anyone, if this is wrong. :)

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
This forum is the finest way possible IMHO to learn more about the Thrive's operation, capabilities, possibilities, and future!

Some of us know some things and others know other things about our Thrive tablets. We can help each other gain knowledge and experience through our thriving forum threads. :)

Yes, ICS will be a major update---an upgrade if you will. As I understand it, google prepares the android os upgrades and then makes them available to the manufacturers (and 3G device carriers) who send OTA data to our devices. Please correct me, Anyone, if this is wrong. :)
Thanks, Hummingbirdhill, for your explanation. As I said, I'm new to adroid. The update sounds great, hope we get it.

Thanks, for all your answers.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried it, but I found that I liked Dolphin HD better. Perhaps once Dolphin Pad is out of beta it will be smoother.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried it, but I found that I liked Dolphin HD better. Perhaps once Dolphin Pad is out of beta it will be smoother.

Well, I decided to forego the dolphin browser at this point. I put the Opera for Mobile browser on my Thrive and it's doing very well. I activated the Opera Link feature on my older puter so that all my Opera bookmarks are available to Opera on my Thrive---which has greatly facilitated my web use on the Thrive. :)

Has anyone else tried a different browser on your Thrive?

Viqtor

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Quote"

The Thrive 7 will come in 16GB and 32GB versions and has basically the exact same functionality and performance as the 10-inch Thrive, Cowan.

The Thrive 7 runs on Android 3.2 Honeycomb, but will be upgradeable to Ice Cream Sandwich when it becomes available later this year, Cowan said. The device uses the same Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor as its larger sister and it has a 1,280 by 800 display.

"En Quote
www.twice.com/article/474434-Toshiba_Intros_7_Inch_Thrive_Tablet.php

If the above Quote is accurate then I am encouraged that at least the 7 " will get some Ice Cream, Why not the 10"?

I am particularly hopeful for the 7" and is the size I would like as well.

Last edited:

Glier

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Other quick tip to learn is the source of the names of every mayor update.

If you notice first, all OS updates have the name of desserts, make it funnier than 1.0, 2.0, etc.
Second: the names arent random dessert based on what the mayority of workforce wanted in their cafeteria the day the new OS came out, you'll notice an alfabetic name ([E]ccleir, [F]rozen yogurt, [G]ingerbread, [H]oneycomb, ce cream sandwich and next to come out [J]ellybean). Hope this makes you a greater entussiast of the android world

And well yeah, icecream sandwich should be a great update, for phones and tables alike.

Welcome to the forum, and HEY!! Im new too, next drink is on me XD

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea.

But,
I am enjoying my thrive, still learning just what all I can do. Finally, figured out how to print.

Good deal on the PRINT, Nonie!

I'm just very curious as to how my Thrive can possibly be improved----except, of course, by getting the Kaspersky trial version completely GONE. :) I've not yet installed lookout because I did a trial of McAfee Mobile Security which told me that it couldn't do a complete protection because of the Kaspersky. IRK. So, I just am awaiting Tosh's awakening and doing a removal of the ugly K.

At any rate, I'm eager to know whether I want ICS on my Thrive . . .

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Good deal on the PRINT, Nonie!

I'm just very curious as to how my Thrive can possibly be improved----except, of course, by getting the Kaspersky trial version completely GONE. :) I've not yet installed lookout because I did a trial of McAfee Mobile Security which told me that it couldn't do a complete protection because of the Kaspersky. IRK. So, I just am awaiting Tosh's awakening and doing a removal of the ugly K.

At any rate, I'm eager to know whether I want ICS on my Thrive . . .

I agree, don't know what improvement they could make. Only thing i can think of, is the ability to remove bloat ware.

So glad i didn't try Kaspersky.