Ordered!

tucsonstan

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Since I have a Toshiba account I went to their site and ordered the big boy: 32gb Android Thrive tablet! Also put in my order for a extra back cover, extra AC adapter, extra battery and standard dock with audio out. Can't wait and see how this puppy is going to operate. Right now I have a Acer tablet. It's a great little device but I'm impressed with the Thrive. Delievery is sometime mid July. So I'm learning on my Acer so I can really have some fun with the Thrive. I fly often and think the tablets are the way to go.

UPDATE: A few days after I ordered my tablet I get a call from Toshiba's credit card dept. The guy tells me that since my billing address and shipping address are different they cannot send the order to my work address. I was stunned! I was also upset needless to say so I told him to go ahead and canx the order, he said he would do that. Today, two weeks later I got to thinking, when I opened up the account I ordered a laptop and it was sent to my work address????? So I called customer service and the girl checked and the order was still open and she also said there would not be a problem sending it to my work address. Hope she is right! Will see what happens in a few weeks!

Last edited:

4 Star General

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Update Potential?

I can't find any info on update potential. I don't want to have the same Tablet I bought a year earlier, bcuz of lack of updates. Anbody with any info pls chime in. This is my choice of all the Tablets, but I don't want to get stuck with a outdated device.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't find any info on update potential. I don't want to have the same Tablet I bought a year earlier, bcuz of lack of updates. Anbody with any info pls chime in. This is my choice of all the Tablets, but I don't want to get stuck with a outdated device.

I figure this tab is already outdated simply because the design is completed. For my purposes, this tablet far outdates anything else on the market or "coming soon" because of its connectivity/data transfer and its file manager features.

I don't know what your use intent is for a tab, but mine is to be a workhorse and this is the only genuinely business tab I've discovered in months of research.

To be honest, I bought an HTC Flyer but it seemed more a fun toy to me than a workhorse, I have great expectations for this Toshiba product's quality; I bought a very expensive Toshiba tablet pc May 2005 and have never ever had a prob with it.

But if you're referring to android version updates, I have no clue what to tell you . . .

WD6FOX

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Well.. I just ordered (2) of them for my wife & I. I have not even seen the thing in person, but what I have seen on the net is pretty sweet! I think the features that sold me were the USB Port, Micro USB Port & SD Slot.... As I have been looking at these different tablets, the Thrive seems to be the way to go. I hope I don't regret it, and am looking forward for the delivery in the next few months! Right now I have a Droid x With the Hotspot Feature, and hopefully will get a new 4g Phone with Hotspot in the upcoming months that will make it faster! I look forward to all the upcoming comments and reviews!
-Sean

DiggerG

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I also ordered one with 32GB. I think it is the most advanced hardware to date. Also, although there are not so many apps yet, I believe that since Android phones in total outsell the iPhone, so too will Android tablets - and the apps will follow. Hope I'm right. Put $$ on it!

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site
The specs look good other than thickness and weight. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 was dead to me as soon as I learned that it wouldn't have an SD card slot or standard USB jack. HDMI didn't bother me as much. That said, this thing is considerably heavier and thicker than the GTab...so I am going to need to hold both in my hands before Toshiba gets my $$$. Thus, no pre-order for me.

I applaud Toshiba's standard connectivity, removable back, and replaceable battery...but the weight and thickness just may make this product DOA for many reviewers...and consumers who read those reviews...or who judge based on looks alone.

If it seems too heavy once I actually hold one, I may just be kicking the tablet purchase decision further down the field.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Scuba Steve, I agree the Thrive sounds heavy; however to obtain a tablet with the features I need (like you, the full-sized USB port and SD card slot) as well as a capacitive pen, the capability to edit Word and Excel docs, well, as far as my meager knowledge takes me, the Thrive is the only option for me. I will be able to occasionally use it on a flat surface---and so ordered the portfolio 360 degree case when I pre-ordered a Thrive. This case serves as a stand in both portrait and landscape positions---an excellent case feature. :) The main accessory I can't decide on, though, till I actually feel the heaviness is whether to purchase a small bag or case with a strap . . .

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't skype recently purchased by Microsoft? Don't know how, or if, that deal will affect android . . .

Go to
Thrive 10-inch (32GB)
Click Specs tab
Click Download pdf
to get a list of alllll the software that comes on the Thrive---including Kaspersky Tablet Security (which, I would guess, is probably a free trial version)

This list also shows the hardware specs. Beside the battery is 23 W-hours. Does anyone in here happen to know how many just plain hours a W-hour equals? Is a W-hour equivalent to 60 minutes? (Google refused to tell me the answer.)

Last edited:

georges326

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I am about to pre-order also but wonder why no review has been done by Android Central. Usually AC is one of the first to review new hardware. I trust in AC's reviews and feel i am going in blind.

georges326

May 19, 2010
Visit site
That I realize, but manufacturers get their products in the hand of tech sites and magazine early enough to hopefully gets good reviews AND generate consumer awareness/excitement.

viper-2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Since you bit the bullet on the 32GB, let me ask you a question...

What made you go with the 32GB, over the 8GB + adding storage?

I would like to know this as well. I pre ordered the 16gb and I can afford the 32gb no problem. But see no reason to do it since there is so many other storage possibilities. I think Toshiba knows that which is why there is no 64gb.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know this as well. I pre ordered the 16gb and I can afford the 32gb no problem. But see no reason to do it since there is so many other storage possibilities. I think Toshiba knows that which is why there is no 64gb.

I also pre-ordered the 32GB. I prefer not to depend on an SD card for more space. I probably will never use the entire 32GB but it's there if I need it!

I do appreciate the full sized SD card slot but won't use it nearly as much as I'll use the full sized USB for data transfer. (The latter will be constant.)

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
This list also shows the hardware specs. Beside the battery is 23 W-hours. Does anyone in here happen to know how many just plain hours a W-hour equals? Is a W-hour equivalent to 60 minutes? (Google refused to tell me the answer.)

Battery life is really variable depending on your power draw, i.e. usage. Here is some information regarding your question of W-hours.

W-hour is short for Watts per hour. This is a generic way to rate batteries.

If the tablet drew 23 Watts, the battery would last 1 hour.

1 Watt = 1 ampere * 1 Volt

I did a check on the battery and it is a 10.8 Volt battery. That means that the battery can also be thought of as a 2.13 Amp/hour battery. Many laptop batteries are about 5500 mAh (milli-Amp/hours) which is equivalent to 5.5 Amp/hours.

The simple answer is that Toshiba says that up to 11 hours of battery life.

FYI, my wife's Inspiron 10 Mini (10in screen) has a 56 Watt/hour battery (at 11.1 Volts) with a CPU fan and a spinning hard drive and it lasts about 12-14 hours, so, Toshiba's estimate would seem to hold water.

Reactions: hummingbirdhill

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is really variable depending on your power draw, i.e. usage. Here is some information regarding your question of W-hours.

W-hour is short for Watts per hour. This is a generic way to rate batteries.

If the tablet drew 23 Watts, the battery would last 1 hour.

1 Watt = 1 ampere * 1 Volt

I did a check on the battery and it is a 10.8 Volt battery. That means that the battery can also be thought of as a 2.13 Amp/hour battery. Many laptop batteries are about 5500 mAh (milli-Amp/hours) which is equivalent to 5.5 Amp/hours.

The simple answer is that Toshiba says that up to 11 hours of battery life.

FYI, my wife's Inspiron 10 Mini (10in screen) has a 56 Watt/hour battery (at 11.1 Volts) with a CPU fan and a spinning hard drive and it lasts about 12-14 hours, so, Toshiba's estimate would seem to hold water.

What a clear explanation; thank you kindly! Under normal circumstances, I should never need more than 5-6 hours because I rarely go oncampus anymore. I need this tab to grade tests and papers of my online writing students when I'm away from my puters. Eleven hours is a dream compared with the 3 hours my laptops used to get!

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
What a clear explanation; thank you kindly! Under normal circumstances, I should never need more than 5-6 hours because I rarely go oncampus anymore. I need this tab to grade tests and papers of my online writing students when I'm away from my puters. Eleven hours is a dream compared with the 3 hours my laptops used to get!

You are welcome!

I am also looking for a decent battery life and I hope the Thrive will deliver. That being said, the one I pre-ordered from Newegg (16gb model) is supposed to be delivered tomorrow according to UPS, so I'll work on posting a video review of it when I get a chance.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
You are welcome!

I am also looking for a decent battery life and I hope the Thrive will deliver. That being said, the one I pre-ordered from Newegg (16gb model) is supposed to be delivered tomorrow according to UPS, so I'll work on posting a video review of it when I get a chance.
Did you order a capacitive pen for your Thrive? I especially am curious as to how the pen works and whether I can use the pen to edit/"write" in the bundled free QuickOffice. Don't mind buying the pro Quick Office if it works with the pen. I suppose the pen should work wherever my pointer works though; is that correct? And I assume the QuickOffice accepts touch.

I surely do look forward to your review. :) And I surely do wonder when toshibadirect will ship MY Thrive!