I have a Thrive right now.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Oh! How is gamepad support? Can you put an Xbox 360 controller in the USB port? 3.1 is supposed to allow that.

kitster

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Android Police is reporting that several Best Buys are already selling the Thrives. Most only have 16 and 32GB varieties. Checking my local Best Buys bright and early tomorrow.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Why no photos of the unit actually running the OS with the OP's content on it?

Looks to me like someone opened an unreleased unit in inventory and took some pics then boxed it back up for sale later. Funny thing is, someone will be getting the unit with the OP's grubby finger prints and nicked up box come sale day :)

rockcrawler

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I was at Fry's in Sacramento on the 4th picking up a case for my tab 10.1 when i noticed all the accessories including all of the colored battery covers out for sale. I asked a sales associate if they had the Thrive in stock and they did,and he was willing to sell me one.So if you havea frys in your area,and are looking for one its definately worth the trip.

BB_Storm4me

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Given there is a full size USB, would a 4G modem work?

I love what I'm hearing about the Thrive, but I need a 3G/4G connection so my DroidX is free to make phone calls while I'm on the Tablet. My GTab7 has been my workhorse for the past 8 months. It's also a great Wi-Fi hotspot for my laptop and for those business associates I meet with. Having mobile broadband is a must for me.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
FYI not Toshibas first android tablet. they had a 2.2 that looks very close to this one. and it was flop.
Ya, that's what I meant. :)

I never thought about just getting the best current tablet. But I'm really worried about Toshiba's support for their first tablet. When ICS comes, would it get the upgrade? the Archos is coming in September...and that's the month before Q4 2011 so it probably wont' get ICS right away while Thrive might.

It's just something that's concerning me, but it's good to know that it's not that bad of a tablet.

How is the HDMI connections? Have you been able to connect it and try it out? Does it simultaneously broadcast between tablet and TV/monitor?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
doubt it unless software is available for the OS. get a 4g mifi that's what I upgraded to it rocks and I can connect mire devises to ir
Given there is a full size USB, would a 4G modem work?

I love what I'm hearing about the Thrive, but I need a 3G/4G connection so my DroidX is free to make phone calls while I'm on the Tablet. My GTab7 has been my workhorse for the past 8 months. It's also a great Wi-Fi hotspot for my laptop and for those business associates I meet with. Having mobile broadband is a must for me.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
How many apps do you have installed and do you notice any lag?

How is battery life (subjective question, I know)?

Do you have Google Music, and how is the steaming playback?

Have you tried any demanding games like Dungeon Defenders? How is the playback?

I'm really leaning toward picking up an 8gb version, I just want to see if there are any problems with it.

ntrimble

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if Toshiba will be coming out with something similar to the Samsung media hub? Or are you out of luck trying to find an easy way to rent/purchase movies.

forum_user_99

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
please do a complete video review, i am thinking about picking on up.
Hi.

Congrats on your purchase. I have pre-ordered this device for all the goodies. Now I have some doubts because of what I read about its display. Mobiletechreview says its display is not IPS LCD but just plain LCD.

MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Discussion: Toshiba Thrive Video Review: Android Honeycomb Tablet

The review says " The Toshiba Thrive runs on the usual 10.1" Honeycomb formula: 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 2 dual core CPU, a gig of RAM, a 1280 x 800 LED backlit display that's decent but not super-impressive, "

In the video, the display quality is talked about initially after she goes over the ports.

I am now thoroughly confused. All the things I read so far says it is IPS LCD and it is good. Now this review.... ASUS EEE Transformer display is known to be better and now I am debating should I get that instead of toshiba.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Why no photos of the unit actually running the OS with the OP's content on it?

Looks to me like someone opened an unreleased unit in inventory and took some pics then boxed it back up for sale later. Funny thing is, someone will be getting the unit with the OP's grubby finger prints and nicked up box come sale day :)

The knowledge he's given isn't really possible unless he's turned it on and used it for more than one hour. He most likely has the tablet because Best Buy is known for selling things so early, they probably paid to do so as they haven't gotten in trouble for it.

ZPD

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I saw this thread this morning while searching for Thrive updates. I went to my local Best buy and they sold me a 16Gig. I have been playing with it for a few hours now and it is pretty fun. BTW it comes with a charger and a USB/mini USB cable. If anyone in the Central Valley California is looking for one the store in Manteca had probably 20 in their cage.

kprowell

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased one at my local best buy. :) Let me know if you have any questions about it.
I currently have the Samsung 10.1 Tab. It is awesome but the lack of accessories (yes I know they are online) in the stores and the fact that it cannot be expanded like the Thrive can, I am considering trading it in since I am within my 14 days with BB. My local BB has them in stock and one of the workers took one out for me to play with. It is sweet! I will say the screen seems to be better on my Sammy (color and brightness). So, I guess what I am getting at is this. Would you trade in a Galaxy 10.1 for the Thrive? Is it that good?
Thanks!

redlinetsi

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine today from the NAVY Exchange in spain of all places...(what luck!! to get this on deployment early) from what ive used of it today it is amazing! loving the full size sd card and the full usb to hook my hardrive up to! but thanks for your thread with all the info that made me go buy this :)

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I just got mine today from the NAVY Exchange in spain of all places...(what luck!! to get this on deployment early) from what ive used of it today it is amazing! loving the full size sd card and the full usb to hook my hardrive up to! but thanks for your thread with all the info that made me go buy this :)

Good for you! :) Please tell us what you like BEST about your Thrive . . . And if something bugs you about it, please also let us know about that.

Last edited: