Travelling to the US - what's the best PAYG sim?

erehwon13

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone

I hope this is the right place to post this sort of question.

I am from the UK and will soon be travelling to the US for three weeks. I'd like to get a Pay As You Go sim for my time there. I'm after something that is simple to set up and will give me a bit of data. I don't need much - maybe only 500MB or a bit more.

I've heard that T-Mobile is more compatible with European phones (I have an HTC One M8). Is that correct? I'm off to Huntsville AL and the coverage there looks good on T-Mobile.

Can I just walk into a shop, pay some money and get a month's worth of phone use? It's fairly easy to do that in the UK but I don't know how it differs in the US.

Thanks for reading! :)

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone

I hope this is the right place to post this sort of question.

I am from the UK and will soon be travelling to the US for three weeks. I'd like to get a Pay As You Go sim for my time there. I'm after something that is simple to set up and will give me a bit of data. I don't need much - maybe only 500MB or a bit more.

I've heard that T-Mobile is more compatible with European phones (I have an HTC One M8). Is that correct? I'm off to Huntsville AL and the coverage there looks good on T-Mobile.

Can I just walk into a shop, pay some money and get a month's worth of phone use? It's fairly easy to do that in the UK but I don't know how it differs in the US.

Thanks for reading! :)

Prepaid Cell Phones with No Annual Contract - AT&T GoPhone

erehwon13

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Ah I didn't realise AT&T was GSM. Looking at the bands, it looks like GSM/3G is compatible but LTE/4G isn't. 3G would be OK for my needs though.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Can I just walk into a shop, pay some money and get a month's worth of phone use?

yes it's plug and play. walk into any AT&T shop (i like corporate owned stores vs. authorized retailers) and ask for an AT&T GoPhone SIM Card and Plan. you may not get LTE depending on your (international) phone but 3G should be plenty fast.

good luck.