Mesmerize 2.3 Gingerbread Upgrade

dixie_boysles

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So far I have noticed:

-There seems to be an issue with "My Files" and the general "Galley" It sometimes freezes or loads really slow and then sometimes it forces a close.

- When Switching applications going back to the home screen, all the homescreen icons will disappear and then come back

-In the browser, sometimes when typing, you cannot see what you are typing because a clear text box no longer appears like it did in 2.1.

-I dont like that you cant long press on apps in the market under my apps to uninstall them

-etc

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I can second the icons on the home sceen, gallery slow load some times and the disappearing text box!
I can also add the buggy camera app that tends to lock everything up when trying to exit back to home! I have had to pull the battery several time for this!
In an effort to overcome some of this I have installed LauncherPro and Camera 360 with OK results. LauncherPro is much more customizable and fixes the reload problem but Camera 360 is a bit slow and buggy!
ny ideas?
Cheers

bigazonk

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I went from 2.1 (whatever it came with straight from the box) to gingerbread. My hubby and I got the same phones last year and he kept up with the updates, but there was always something that made me not want to - for instance his first upgrade, he was not receiving calls and texts sporadically).

I figured I needed to upgrade, and since he got the upgraded fix for that issue, he was going to upgrade my phone to that version, until he heard gingerbread came out - so he jumped me to that.

Here are the things I have noticed so far...

I don't see anything getting faster, in fact, I believe just the opposite! My screen lags (hit the applications button or back button and it goes really slow and the whole screen is blank for a couple and then everything is back to normal)

When I dial a #, after I go through the motion, I look down and several #s are missing - the screen seems to be less responsive. I notice this when trying to answer a call as well.

I also cannot connect to my husband's phone anymore via bluetooth to send him files, which I could until the upgrade.

And, last & MOST important, my camera now sucks!!! I don't know what they did to this upgrade, but I used to grab my phone and snap pix of my kids and not think twice about it, but now the setting last to be perfect as far as lighting and a steady hand or the images are blurry as crap! This has been the deal breaker for me! I loved the phone and the camera on it, but now I have these issues (but most importantly, my camera issue).

Any suggestions? Anyone else with this issue?

OldRod

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Just upgraded my phone this morning from 2.1 to Gingerbread. A couple of questions...

1 - At the top of my home screen there is a . . 3 . . showing what part of the home screen I am viewing. It used to only show up when I would scroll to other parts of the screen, now it is on all the time. How do I turn that off?

2 - I downloaded the Gingerbread user guide linked on another section here. None of the screenshots in that guide match how my phone looks, especially on the camera screen, etc. Is there a way to get my phone to match the screenshots in that guide?

So far I like the update. I love the new icons at the top of the screen, they are crisper and easier to see

doozy89

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I just had US Cellular upgrade my Mesmerize from 2.1 to Gingerbread 2 days ago.

I am having issues with storage. The upgrade wiped my phone. My contacts were backed up, so no big deal there. All of my apps got wiped out. So, I tried to add some of the ones that I remembered I had and after about 6 apps it said I don't have enough storage. What happened? I had a TON more apps before, and I can't remember most of them, but my phone never said it didn't have anough storage before the upgrade.

Can anyone help?? I even tried moving my apps to the SD card and that still didn't help!!!:(

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
As far as the dots across the top of the screen, they stay up there all the time now. The nice thing is you can click on a dot and it will take you to that page (instead of needing to scroll through several pages).

Not sure about the space issue, but it is always best to make a backup before doing any upgrade. There are several apps for making backups in the marketplace.

What I usually do when going through a major update: backup contacts, backup apps, wipe phone, upgrade, restore contacts, reinstall apps. That way, I have a clean install.

OldRod

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
As far as the dots across the top of the screen, they stay up there all the time now. The nice thing is you can click on a dot and it will take you to that page (instead of needing to scroll through several pages).

Well, that's a nice feature... but I'd like to turn them off. There's no way to do that? :(

Been using 2.3.4 for a couple days now and the only glitch I've seen so far is that my GMail doesn't seem to be synchronizing properly. Emails I deleted in my GMail account online are still showing up on my phone and vice versa. New emails show up OK, just deleted ones aren't being synchronized. Is there a setting somewhere to fix this?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, that's a nice feature... but I'd like to turn them off. There's no way to do that? :(

Been using 2.3.4 for a couple days now and the only glitch I've seen so far is that my GMail doesn't seem to be synchronizing properly. Emails I deleted in my GMail account online are still showing up on my phone and vice versa. New emails show up OK, just deleted ones aren't being synchronized. Is there a setting somewhere to fix this?

Nope. Can't turn it off. The only other option is to look at using a different launcher.

I haven't had any problems with syncing, so I'm not sure what is going on there.

OldRod

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I got the synching problem fixed it appears - had to delete the memory cache for Gmail and let it re-synch. So far it appears to be working.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
dropped Go launcher EX on top of the 2.3.4 upgrade and really love my mesmerize again! So customizable! Gives you So many options so you can setup your Mess to be faster or more dependable or somewhere between! It also cured the camera issue I was having!

cheers

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Ive been using the 2.3 update for about a month.

Ive had it reloaded 3x and still i like 2.2 better.

Problems:
1. Glitchy on almost everything
2. When on the net it doesnt notify me of a call vmail or text
3. Slow as idk what

I like the phone alot but its time to let it go. So this friday its for sale. And i picked friday because of 1 reason.

Does anybody know thus reason?

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ive been having issues in the past few weeks.. noticed it is really slow at times, trying to scroll through things like texts and my contact list. I usually pull out the battery every few days which helps a little.

Was wondering if that was an issue with my phone or in general

I think im ready for a change... always been a Motorola guy, that electrify is looking mighty tempting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38