We've got a Mesmerize, throw questions at us!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
UPS man just delivered our Mesmerize, and I'm stoked. You guys use this thread to let me know what you want me to check out and test, and I'll do my best to make sure we get it covered :)

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Does USCC keep a tight lid on their Galaxy version, or can you add outside apps at will (without being rooted)?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Does USCC keep a tight lid on their Galaxy version, or can you add outside apps at will (without being rooted)?

Not a problem. I reloaded a butt load of apps via Dropbox already.

Most noticeable differences between Mesmerize and Fascinate (besides Bing)?

Mesmerize seems to have some minor TW changes, almost zero bloatware (City ID, Yahoo mail, telenav), I have 3G at my house with it lol.

Umm yea, the wife needs a new phone can I have this one when your done.;) USCC by far the most reliable here in IA.

Heh. If anyone gets to keep it, it's gonna be me :p Very nice phone, and my first run-in with US Cellular. Excellent network here, rock steady and fast. I might have to give them another look :)

rjdriver

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Mesmerize

Is there a way to differentiate SMS messages and email messages as far as notification tones what I would like is to shut off my email notification tone and leave my sms message tone on in my application when people need me sooner they text me instead of email me.... coming from a black berry it was easy to do on that.
thanks in advance
Rob

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
If you root the phone, does that bypass the tethering charges and the data limit?

Not going to discuss theft of services. Sorry

Does it have video out similar to the captivate? I have a Mesmerize but I can't find the video out feature shown in this video... Very disappointing. Any suggestions?

There are no video out settings on the Mesmerize. The hardware may be capable, but there's no software to support it.

adb pull /system ?

It's in the other thread.

scampbell_1969

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Mesmerize

Just recently received the Mesmerize as a gift but I am still having issues figuring out what should be the simplest things.

I have downloaded music and some will end up in music player list others will show up in notification list. Why, and how do I delete music out of notification list?

Downloading music from computer should be simple and I thought I figured it out but once downloaded tried to play songs and says does not support this file. (WMA) I cannot find in user manual what files it will support.

Thanks in Advance for any help I can get!!:D

Last edited:

Kendall_P

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
OK... first off the mesmerize is my first smart phone so I am completely new to all this so this question may be stupid. I am having connection problems, the wi fi is weak, which I would expect at my house (computer does the same), but shouldnt I have 3G connection at all times or something? I mean I spent enough money on the phone I would think this wouldnt be an issue

CloudStrife7

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Just recently received the Mesmerize as a gift but I am still having issues figuring out what should be the simplest things.

I have downloaded music and some will end up in music player list others will show up in notification list. Why, and how do I delete music out of notification list?

You can go to the following directory:
sd card/media/audio
here you should see folders called "alarms" "notifications" and "ringtones"
here you will find your mp3's the system uses for alarms, notifications and ringtones.

Downloading music from computer should be simple and I thought I figured it out but once downloaded tried to play songs and says does not support this file. (WMA) I cannot find in user manual what files it will support.

Thanks in Advance for any help I can get!!:D

As for WMA I would recommend searching for a 3rd party application that plays these on appbrain or the app market. You can always google search "playing wma on android" and helpful threads will come up.

CloudStrife7

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
OK... first off the mesmerize is my first smart phone so I am completely new to all this so this question may be stupid. I am having connection problems, the wi fi is weak, which I would expect at my house (computer does the same), but shouldnt I have 3G connection at all times or something? I mean I spent enough money on the phone I would think this wouldnt be an issue

Your phone may be able to receive a 3G signal, however if you don't get cell reception in your house you're going to have a problem - which leads to the question - how good is the cell coverage in your area and is 3G available where you are? You might want to check on the US Cellular coverage map: U.S. Cellular Coverage Indicator

If Wifi is also weak then perhaps your walls/ceiling/floor are blocking the radio waves.

scampbell_1969

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Directory

You can go to the following directory:
sd card/media/audio
here you should see folders called "alarms" "notifications" and "ringtones"
here you will find your mp3's the system uses for alarms, notifications and ringtones.

As for WMA I would recommend searching for a 3rd party application that plays these on appbrain or the app market. You can always google search "playing wma on android" and helpful threads will come up.

When going to the suggested sd card/media/audio I select notifications and there is nothing in folder, when selecting alarms same thing. There is not an option for ringtones in that folder.

This part of the phone has got me crazy, I cannot seem to wrap my mind around it.

lynyrd

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When going to the suggested sd card/media/audio I select notifications and there is nothing in folder, when selecting alarms same thing. There is not an option for ringtones in that folder.

This part of the phone has got me crazy, I cannot seem to wrap my mind around it.

You are not crazy. There is not a ringtone folder there. You just need to add a new folder there (same place the notification folder is) and call it ringtones. Put any audio files that you want to appear as on the ringtone selection menu here. If you want to use the audio file as a notification tone for text messages etc. put the audio file in the notification folder. Same thing goes for alarms.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante