Mesmerize rooted

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
2ccqhs3.jpg

tahimh.jpg

Has it all figured out, using rageagainstthecage and a pile of shell commands.

Then someone told me about this:
[APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.1 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers

If you're using Windows, use the SuperOneClick. It does exactly what I did, and exactly right, has been tested on another Mesmerize. It's a full root. Don't re-invent the wheel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ignore everything above this line lol.

bigbadbikernerd has verified (post #6) that the app Z4MOD from the market will root the Mez. It doesn't get any easier

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for double post, but this thread is going to also substitute as the Mesmerize Hacks section until someone decides that a real one is needed.

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I just rooted my Mesmerize with the Z4MOD application I downloaded on Appbrain. It worked pretty slick. It locked up the first time I tried to run it, so I rebooted the phone and tried again and it rooted it in less than one minute. It also has a built in "Unroot" button as well.

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey, I just rooted my Mesmerize with the Z4MOD application I downloaded on Appbrain. It worked pretty slick. It locked up the first time I tried to run it, so I rebooted the phone and tried again and it rooted it in less than one minute. It also has a built in "Unroot" button as well.

That's great news! I'm going to edit the original post

phidelt82

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I've rooted (even before I activated it, lol) now I've been searching everywhere on how to do a nandroid backup. We can't use Clockwork yet. I can't get Rom Manager to flash SPRecovery (or even show that any other recovery is available) and following the directions to flash SPRecovery manually keep failing. I don't to try to use any custom ROMs or even theme my stock ROM yet. I just want to back it up so I can have a bit of insurance as I play around.

Any advice out there?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
OK, so I've rooted (even before I activated it, lol) now I've been searching everywhere on how to do a nandroid backup. We can't use Clockwork yet. I can't get Rom Manager to flash SPRecovery (or even show that any other recovery is available) and following the directions to flash SPRecovery manually keep failing. I don't to try to use any custom ROMs or even theme my stock ROM yet. I just want to back it up so I can have a bit of insurance as I play around.

Any advice out there?
There isn't a custom recovery written for the mez just yet, and I don;t recommend you keep trying ones for other phones -- better safe than sorry.

Titanium backup from the market will backup all you apps, app data, and system settings to the SD card, and the pro version will back it all up to dropbox. Best solution I can think of for now.

phidelt82

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
There isn't a custom recovery written for the mez just yet, and I don;t recommend you keep trying ones for other phones -- better safe than sorry.

Titanium backup from the market will backup all you apps, app data, and system settings to the SD card, and the pro version will back it all up to dropbox. Best solution I can think of for now.

I'm not trying to use custom recoveries written for other phones. At least I don't think I am. If it says anything about a specific phone, like clockworkmod, I'm not using it. SPRecovery hadn't said anything about being phone specific anywhere. Since I wasn't trying to flash a new ROM, just trying to take a backup of mine, I thought it would be an ok choice. I guess I just need to wait it out or brush up on my coding.

-edit
OK, now that I look deeper into things I think I see where I was mistaken. Looking deeper into the recovery and some of the ROMs, I'm (kinda) seeing how these things are all put together now. Even the sister ROMs (like Fascinate and Mesmerize) aren't put together even close to the same and recovery files aren't in the same directories. So luckily most of the times trying to flashing a new recovery tool like SPRecovery would just fail. If it did work, you would probably be screwed anyway because things would be in the wrong place.

Anyway, I'm learning.

Last edited:

stedyone

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

Can you describe your lockup when you used the z4mod to root your Mes? I tried it and it stayed on the blue screen with the words: "running exploit in order to obtain root access..." for like 20 mins! Was this a lockup?

Should it only take 1 minute?

thanks for your help.

stedyone

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I just recently applied the permanent root on my mes from Z4root app. It worked like a charm both permanent and temp rooting. They key for me was to power cycle my phone just prior to running the Z4root mod app. Now I was able to uninstall the bloatware and run my Titanium backups just fine on a rooted phone.

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Can you describe your lockup when you used the z4mod to root your Mes? I tried it and it stayed on the blue screen with the words: "running exploit in order to obtain root access..." for like 20 mins! Was this a lockup?

Should it only take 1 minute?

thanks for your help.

Yeah, that's exactly what mine did. I just had to pull the battery and try again. worked i less than a minute.

I read somewhere that people are recommending a reboot before running the z4mod.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I haven't been diligent in checking in on this thread...

joshevo

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
i just flashed with fascinate custom rom on mesmerize and Life Is Good.

How is that possible considering that file locations for the Fascinate and Mesmerize are different? From what I've read people who have been trying to flash Fascinate ROMs on their Mesmerize have been bricking their phones. I would be interested to see screen shots of the ROM you're using and also how you managed to get it working on the Mesmerize.

Blier2488

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
This may be a dumb question, but I downloaded appbrain but i cannot not find the z4mod to root my phone can anyone tell me what to search for to download it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks