Froyo update

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
stopped into my local USC store today and asked the manager about the update schedule and proceedure. He did a bit of digging on USCs internal site and couldn't get the answer he was looking for so he called their tech dept.
According to the tech on the other end of the conversation, the Froyo update for the Mesmerize is on schedule to be dumped via Samsung Kies through the USC website second week of February, i.e end of next week!
The manager did make the comment that even though USC is overly cautious with updates, he would wait a week or two to make sure everything went smoothly with the roleout.
Great news!

It does seem a bit ironic that USC was the last carrier to adapt the Galaxy S and it will be one of the first in the US to get 2.2! We may complain that they are slow to get new phones, but when they do, they usually do it right!

Cheers!

drwp

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Good news. They must be providing an updated Kies as well, because the last time I tried to use Kies it didn't recognize my phone.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually the latest USC press release states it as "early Febuary", and their device calender also lists it early this month so I would tend to be optimistic...tech commented that 2.2 has been running for some time on test Mesmerize units without a hitch and had gone much better then antisipated.
Though we all know any hint of a hangup with an upgrade will send USC into ultra conservitive mode! Guess I'd rather wait a little while for perfect Froyo then a bricked phone today!

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Since the Mez is my first Android phone, I wonder if I should root and make a full backup prior to the FroYo update coming out.

I always made backups of my BlackBerry prior to OS updates, knowing that BB updates actually wow the phone as part of the process. I would hate to lose data on my Mez.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, hate to say this but at this point I think it is a fair assumption that since the Froyo update for the Desire dropped yesterday, the Mesmerize may well be stuck waiting for a while to get 2.2. I hope I'm mistaken but, I just can't see USC rolling out another major customer service event while one is already in progress! The tech dept. will be pretty busy walking customers through the upgrade AND the normal glitches that pop up much less a posible major issue without tempting fate with a second roleout at the same time!
What does this mean for Mesmerize owners? If USCs resent upgrade history is any indicator, we may be on the sidelines for a while...the Acclaim got 2.2 on Jan. 13, almost a month ago, it is a very real posibility that the Mesmerize may wait a similar time period for the Desire roleout to get completed before USC dumps 2.2 for the Mesmerize!
Don't mean to be a downer here, but I guess we have to look at the facts...The thing that REALLY bites here, the USC tech department has had several Mesmerize phones running Froyo flawlessly for some time now!
Again all I can say is I hope I'm mistaken!
Cheers!

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, if you root now, you would have to "unroot" before updating to 2.2 since the update will not work on a rooted phone.
Cheers

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and if you're like me and don't know jack about rooting or unrooting you may know that if you root your phone it voids the warranty and US Cellular, even with their Belief Project, will not replace your phone if it dies.

Risky

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
stopped into my local USC store today and asked the manager about the update schedule and proceedure. He did a bit of digging on USCs internal site and couldn't get the answer he was looking for so he called their tech dept.
According to the tech on the other end of the conversation, the Froyo update for the Mesmerize is on schedule to be dumped via Samsung Kies through the USC website second week of February, i.e end of next week!
The manager did make the comment that even though USC is overly cautious with updates, he would wait a week or two to make sure everything went smoothly with the roleout.
Great news!

It does seem a bit ironic that USC was the last carrier to adapt the Galaxy S and it will be one of the first in the US to get 2.2! We may complain that they are slow to get new phones, but when they do, they usually do it right!

Cheers!

So where is the update? I want froyo now! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
yes, as I posted above, we do not have 2.2 yet and probably will have to wait a while for it. I'm man enough to admit that much.

Though, I do find it interesting that while the Desire has beat us to the Froyo punch, HTC seems to have missed the boat a bit with this update if all the negitive posts are any evidence of the problems that have come to the surface with this firmware! All of these OEMs seem to be having problems keeping their phones updated, not just Samsung! Back in my WinMo. days, HTC had a horendous time upgrading to 6.5
While we are all waiting anxously for Froyo on our Mesmerize, I sure hope Samsung/USCC has done a better with the 2.2 upgrade when we finally get it!

Cheers

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Stopped at the USCc store last night and the rep who had sold us our phones had no new news on 2.2. If nothing comes out in a couple weeks I may try the leaked version.

md0600

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Froyo

I did the Froyo leak yesterday and it was very simple to do if you follow the instructions. It almost seemed easier to do than the BB OS updates I am used to. I was a little nervous at first but then once it was completed I didn't know what I was worried about. Definitely enjoy the added app2sd card option as well as a few little things that come with Froyo as well.

Reactions: john_v

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I did the Froyo leak yesterday and it was very simple to do if you follow the instructions. It almost seemed easier to do than the BB OS updates I am used to. I was a little nervous at first but then once it was completed I didn't know what I was worried about. Definitely enjoy the added app2sd card option as well as a few little things that come with Froyo as well.

Thanks for the info! I remember the first time I upgraded my BB OS, and also the first time I changed the bezel...I was sweatin' the whole time.;) But it turned out to not be so bad.

I'll definitely keep the leak in mind, give USCC a couple more weeks.

Reactions: md0600

Onebryteday

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Official 2.2 Release

I stopped by US Cellular store on 2/21. The tech guys were saying by the
end of March. I hope it is sooner than that. One of the sales guys hinted that they are trying really hard to get this out before the 1st quarter is up.

So much for early February. ;)

md0600

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
yeah if you follow the directions its really simple. The only real pain is getting everything setup again after you do it but it gives you a chance to not download apps you don't need anymore. Having Flash and the capabilities to save apps to the SD card is definitely worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC