Ubuntu smartphone OSU

Montigusto

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking there would be much more discussion about this here... it looks fairly awesome!

I misunderstood when I first saw it... I thought they were announcing availability of Ubuntu OS for phones, but that's not quite right... It looks like the first phones loaded with Ubuntu will ship in Europe at the end of this year. I would love to get my hands on that OS and try it out though. More info here: Ubuntu for phones | Ubuntu

It seems a bit strange that it's not available for download, I mean all other variations of Ubuntu are free? Maybe they're still actually finishing it (although launching or announcing it makes it seem like it's ready now) or maybe they want to wait until they finalise deals with a bunch of providers.

Anyways, I've still gotta read up and learn some more about this. I just hope that it has easy compatibility with current Android apps. The last thing they need is to make yet another OS that developers need to support. It takes time enough to learn about available apps when switching from iOS to Android for example, I wouldn't be too keen to do it again going from Android to Ubuntu...

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking there would be much more discussion about this here... it looks fairly awesome!

I misunderstood when I first saw it... I thought they were announcing availability of Ubuntu OS for phones, but that's not quite right... It looks like the first phones loaded with Ubuntu will ship in Europe at the end of this year. I would love to get my hands on that OS and try it out though. More info here: Ubuntu for phones | Ubuntu

It seems a bit strange that it's not available for download, I mean all other variations of Ubuntu are free? Maybe they're still actually finishing it (although launching or announcing it makes it seem like it's ready now) or maybe they want to wait until they finalise deals with a bunch of providers.

Anyways, I've still gotta read up and learn some more about this. I just hope that it has easy compatibility with current Android apps. The last thing they need is to make yet another OS that developers need to support. It takes time enough to learn about available apps when switching from iOS to Android for example, I wouldn't be too keen to do it again going from Android to Ubuntu...

Looking at the video that was posted on AC yesterday, this OS still looks very, very "alpha." I doubt they do a release until some of the lag and bugs are worked out. I am very interested in this as it would be a change from the ordinary. Hoping they get this thing out into the wild soon so we can play!

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: AW: Ubuntu smartphone OSU

After seeing BB10, the similarities are striking. The lack of navigation buttons and the use of edge to edge gestures seem to be used by both operating systems.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Anyways, I've still gotta read up and learn some more about this. I just hope that it has easy compatibility with current Android apps. The last thing they need is to make yet another OS that developers need to support.
Canonical press releases make it very clear that Ubuntu Phone is going to be what you're hoping it won't be. Native apps will need to be developed specifically for it like any other OS.

Can they expect faster support than both MS or BB for official native apps from FB, Twitter, Instagram, Skype, Netflix, all the major banks, and a couple dozen more apps that everyone else other than android and iphone have a hard time landing? For all the years Linux has been around on desktop, I noticed that they're still having issues getting nVidia drivers for new graphics cards that Windows gets right away, so I'm skeptical the app situation on this mobile OS is going to be any different.

I've noticed most of the buzz about ubuntu phone has been on Android websites and I think it's due to a common misconception that you're somehow going to be able to run your Android apps from Google Play store on it. You won't. And even should the developer community figure a way to side load Android apps onto an ubuntu phone, you're going to end up in the same crappy situation bb10 is in, with those apps not being able to integrate as fully into the core OS as they would natively (for example you can't invoke android Google maps from within the bb10 browser) and things like that.

The only cool thing ubuntu has going for it is a fresh new UI, but that's not enough to draw large app development support as has already been illustrated by wp8 and BB10. The reason I remain firm with Android is because the large developer community are already pushing out apps that mimic other OS UI features, including swipe gesture multitasking from within apps even. I've already seen someone set their Nexus 7 up to replace all the Android navigation buttons with swipe gestures. You can install sidebar apps and all kinds of notification panel stuff as well.