After Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Update No Sound with Netflix

kvisintine

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I have USCC. I also have the same problem after I updated today. It seems like this has been going on for awhile. Anyone have a solution. It honestly seems that none of the companies care, but when you are paying monthly for the service and Netflix. I hope the issue gets resolved soon.

Nixchic1968

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you are able to revert back to ICS, Netflix will work fine. I am not very tech savvy, but searched on the internet how to do this. It does work, but if you try use EXTREME CAUTION. When I was doing this, my phone would not boot up completely. It was stuck on the Samsung screen and the LED was blue. I had to put it in recovery mode and wipe all data and reinstall ICS. I really do not recommend this, but it is possible. It is also possible to render your phone COMPLETELY USELESS. Be very careful. I wonder if a US cellular tech center can do this for you, if you don't want to wait for a Netflix fix.Here is the link I used. How to recover a bricked Samsung Galaxy S3 | Reviews | CNET UK

Seeeejaaaay

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
@Nixchick1968

You must not be very good with Android then Odin is the easiest flashing program ever.

Anyway, I'd just like to throw in here that you can always dual boot ICS (just for Netflix) and JellyBean for eveything else

Kokocat

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Part of my chat today with Netflix support:

Netflix:
"We're are definitely aware and are working on getting it resolved asap. Don't have an exact ETA but I'll forward this too our tech team to let them know that this is a problem wanting to get resolved sooner then later. How does that sound?"

and then I asked if the tech team knew about it yet. The response was:

Netflix:
"Yes of course! I ran up too my supervisor and asked him and he told me this is something they are currently fixing now!!"

We will see.

I might have more confidence if Tech Support could spell.

Last edited:

Scott Mink

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Went into USC store today and asked them to backrev the JB version and they said they won't. Problem being worked on and should be fixed by the end of the month. The guy sounded like he just made that up to get me out of there.

arbliss

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
@Seeeejaaaay....I DID say I wasn't very tech savvy. I was just trying to help.

That's okay man. We were all beginners once. Odin is easy to use one you've done it a few times, but can be confusing at first. You're doing fine : )

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

gowg

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I have this exact same problem. I called Netflix and they initially denied that this was a known issue, but then double-checked with the Research Department which backed me up. They then tried to say that it was an Android problem, but after some light arguing, agreed to give me a 50% credit on my next bill since I haven't been able to use it for two weeks.

Netflix is a class act, the entire call took about five minutes. But with the clipboard bug and now this, I'm not sure I can stomach another big problem with my phone. I'm close to breaking contract and selling the phone. (That's a financially reasonable choice, right?)

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that the new Redbox Instant works fine.

Really sad nothing more has been done to resolve this due users.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

thorium43

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, it sounds like someone finally knows about this AND is addressing it. We can hope, anyway.

I called Samsung at 1-800-726-7864. Tech support said this is an issue with the Jelly Bean system, AND "This is to be resolved in an MR scheduled in early February... This will be an update to JB software" He also said it isn't a Samsung problem, but since it is on their phones they working on it.

I really hope this is the fix for this longstanding problem. Keep an eye out, and if anyone sees this update released, please post here and let us know if it actually fixed it! And how to install would be nice, too!

If not, we can try lobbying Samsung, as well as (and I don't know if this is true) Google. He says Google develops the JB software.

Last edited:

thorium43

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I submitted an email to US Cell pointing out it was only their carrier and only their Jellybean, and said if we at least knew the exact source of the problem, we could more effectively lobby them, Samsung and Netflix to seek out a fix. Given the long time frame this has been an issue, I doubt anyone is working on this. But still, we should keep contacting US Cell and Netflxi, and keep agitating for a fix. I wish some of the rogue developers out there could at least develop a workaround! There are a lot of skilled programmers out there, but I haven't found anything.

Dang, wish I had bought a different phone, and I am outside their "buyers remorse" return window, having only discovered this.
Thank you for all the info, folks.

C.ProServices

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Note from US Cellular on this as of 1-7-13: "There is a problem with the Samsung Galaxy S3 upgrade to 4.1.1 and Netflix. The video will play, but there is no audio. It is a known issue and Samsung and Netflix are working on it, but there is no fix for it right now. They are hoping to have an FOTA software release within a week or so. All reports of this problem are to be called in to tech support and logged to the master ticket that is open so that they can be sent to Samsung. Right now, we are just asking for customer?s patience in this matter being resolved."

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
It is interesting that the Redbox Instant streaming app, which is in beta by the way, works perfectly fine.

I still wonder what specifically broke the audio functionality?

blooshoo

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a AWESOME $79 Chinese 7" tablet, can't even uncover the manufacturer but that matters not, it does tricks like Circque du Soleil lol. I'm new to Netflix, was digging the navigability, goin along, happy to be away from Redbox Instant's timesucker of a website, chose a movie...dang. Video but no audio. First tech suggested reinstalling the app but admitted no responsibility. Re-installed, re-started, no love. Second tech said, "so very sorry, that's totally us, here's $2 off next month's subscription, we're on it."

SiersZyn_SarEli

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I noticed there was no sound with my Netflix app after I had installed the new jelly bean 4.1.1 update on my samsung galaxy s3. At first I thought it was my sound settings or perhaps something wrong with the app. I double checked my sound settings, uninstalled and reinstalled the app mulitiple times, and then I ended up taking my phone into a US Cellular store to have my phone checked. They knew right away that it was an issue, stating that it probably wasn't the phone but an issue with how they app works with the new jelly bean 4.1.1.

Okay. They let me know that it is a known issue and from reading all of these responses, its amaing to me that such a popular app on such a new and popular phone is taking this long to address the issue. I was told that it was an issue with the Netflix app and that I will need to wait for Netflix to solve the issue and send out an update.

Its hard to discern from the previous responses if this is actually the case. From this forum it seems that jelly bean developers, samsung and Netflix have been passing blame and ducking resposibility for the issue delaying a fix.
I was told that I could do a reset of my phone prior to the jely bean update to get the app to work. A full reset and wipe of my phone just for one app. Latest information I could find was an ambiguous statement that an update will be sent out (from which company?) early February. Hope the issue is eesolved soon. So far I really like jellybean.

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Well I can say that a factory reset does not take care of the issue.

From what I have been hearing, USCellular and Samsung are working on an update that will remedy this issue. Fix will likely not come from Netflix seeing as it really is not their fault since their app works just fine with the GS3 on other carriers running the same Jelly Bean version.

Scott Mink

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well for what it is worth my Netflix application auto updated this morning and I still don't have any audio. The version is 2.1.2 build 787 for your reference. I guess to me that would mean this is not a Netflix issue though who knows.

kzimmy50

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Same thing!!! So frustrating!!! Netflix should to a mass credit to its users. Blackberry did that last year when the mass outaged happened.

Ordinaryuser

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I thought for sure this issue would have been resolved by now...so annoying that you pay for a service you can't receive. What a let down when I saw the new Netflix update today and it didn't resolve the issue.

..losing hope

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia