US Cellular Galaxy S3 - Can't access any hidden menus or service mode.???

shawnf92

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I recently picked up a S3 SCH-R530U, US Cellular 4g, running 4.3, it is not currently activated. Ive had two S3's so far and this one has me stumped. Ive tried every single code i could find online, none of which work period. Cant toggle hidden menus on or off, cant even get it to show imei... no *#0*# or *#06#, nothing. If i hit the call button it will just say no network because its not activated, and from what i understand just because its unactivated it should still be able to access service mode... Any ideas?? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

vues52

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: US Cellular Galaxy S3 - Cant access any hidden menus or service mode.???

Dude the same thing is happening to me too. Im trying to unlock it but its hard bc im runing the 4.3 Jelly Bean. If anyone can help It would be nice!!!

Greg Decker

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I have the same problem. trying to unlock and switch to straight talk. can someone please help! I don't want to flash.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site

The menu to unlock the phone was only on 4.1.1. Will not work on any other version. The only way to get the box to come up which would require an unlock code is to put in a foreign Sim Card then input the code.

rivbro91

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Hey GTWalling. I have a 4.1.1 downgraded USC S3 and a foreign sim card however it doesn't prompt for anything. under the hidden menu the NETWORK LOCK doesn't have any options below it. Can you lead this poor horse to water?

CariocaK

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

Hi GT...I did exactly this--I took a 4.1.2 S3, backgraded it to 4.1.1 (using downloads from this site, Samsung, etc.) and it works like a charm....*but* when you enable the "secret codes menu" and input the unlock sequence, *#197328640# then do:

Main Menu
[1] UMTS
[1] Debug Screen
[8] Phone Control
[6] Network Lock

there is then supposed to be Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF

but instead there is nothing!

I have done the same thing with an ATT S3, worked like a champ.

I live in Brazil, and the same SIM from the ATT doesn't do anything in the USC phone--no unlock code is requested, just nothing, no signal.

Any ideas? I love the phone and am seriously considering having it flashed to Cricket or something just to unlock it.

Sorry for the long post--options or do i sell it on ebay and get another ATT unit?

I own the phone but USC says I need to be a current subscriber. I am arguing with them that they have to unlock it for me, I was out of contract and moved to Brazil, cancelled my account and then *head slap* realized I needed to unlock the phone.

My daughter laughs at me because she has a verizon S4--worked like a champ the minute we got off the plane and got a SIM card.

Propnut

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

What process did you use to downgrade to 4.1.1? Where did you get your files? I am having trouble getting the correct ones, particularly the 4.1.1 firmware.

rivbro91

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Propnut you will need ODIN to flash custom recovery to the phone. (google or search for instructions on this) I normally use clockworkmod but TWRP seems to work better for me on the S3, anyway once you have your recovery installed you'll need to find this firmware "R530UVXALK5" it's a stock firmware pre rooted and deodexed in zip format (or the one I found is) and you'll flash that with your recovery. Your dialer codes will then work.

rivbro91

May 30, 2011
Visit site
No help to be had, I assume. The USC S3 won't prompt a lock code, doesn't have an MSL like a sprint S3, and can't be unlocked via the hidden menu. I'm about out of options. I was hoping that GT fella would help me as he puts off the vibe of being knowledgeable but it looks like he left us out to dry. All I know... A verizon sim will be accepted by the phone but wont call, throws roaming symbol due to the phone's PRL. *228 will NOT update the PRL either. I can't get QPST, DFS, or CDMAWorkshop to edit any applicable fields, and can't get it to unlock.. I'm truly stumped and am by no means a n00b to phones.

Propnut

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Could no longer locate the R530UVXALK5 file. It had been removed from all sites I could find. Anyway, the whole thing was becoming way too much trouble. My daughter returned the phone.

Celine Prescot

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

Hey man, Im having this problem right now, how do I get past it?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi GT...I did exactly this--I took a 4.1.2 S3, backgraded it to 4.1.1 (using downloads from this site, Samsung, etc.) and it works like a charm....*but* when you enable the "secret codes menu" and input the unlock sequence, *#197328640# then do:

Main Menu
[1] UMTS
[1] Debug Screen
[8] Phone Control
[6] Network Lock

there is then supposed to be Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF

but instead there is nothing!

I have done the same thing with an ATT S3, worked like a champ.

I live in Brazil, and the same SIM from the ATT doesn't do anything in the USC phone--no unlock code is requested, just nothing, no signal.

Any ideas? I love the phone and am seriously considering having it flashed to Cricket or something just to unlock it.

Sorry for the long post--options or do i sell it on ebay and get another ATT unit?

I own the phone but USC says I need to be a current subscriber. I am arguing with them that they have to unlock it for me, I was out of contract and moved to Brazil, cancelled my account and then *head slap* realized I needed to unlock the phone.

My daughter laughs at me because she has a verizon S4--worked like a champ the minute we got off the plane and got a SIM card.

Hey man, Im having this problem right now, how do I get past it?

johnnie_scotty

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

hi sorry to reach out to you like this but i have no other option. I have the same model you listed above and i am in panama trying to unlock the phone. tmobile says the phone isnt locked but it is requesting sim unlock code. i cant access the service menu because i have no mobile network...

what do i do