Phone won't turn on.

RapGod34

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I tried that, when the Samsung screen pops up in the upper right hand corner it says, "Recovery booting......" Then the screen goes black again and nothing appears.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you need to reload the firmware.
Does the phone boot into Download mode?
If it does, you can use the Kies software on your computer or a tool called Odin.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

RapGod34

May 29, 2014
Visit site
That's when you do all the same stuff except the volume down button on start-up? Yeah it does, but only for a split second, then turns back off.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you take the battery out and reinsert it, does the phone turn itself on (without you pressing the Power button)?

With the phone completely off, if you connect the charger does the screen show a battery graphic showing the battery level and charging activity? Will the battery fully charge?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When I reinsert it, the phone turns itself on.
This is the infamous Power Button issue - either the Power button (the little plastic piece that we press on) or the Power switch (the actual switch on the mainboard that the Power button presses on) is stuck or jammed down.

If you take the phone apart you can gently pry the Power button out (it has two legs that hold it in the case). If that doesn't help then you can try cleaning the Power switch on the mainboard - you can try compressed air or electronic contact cleaner (take the battery out first of course) and a toothbrush to clean around the switch and exercise it repeatedly. Then put the battery in and see if it still starts by itself. If it does then you'll have to replace the Power switch (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-power-button-repair/).