12-19-2010 06:17 PM
100 ... 234
tools
    Anyone know how big the merge's screen will be compared to the Incredible HD?
    11-15-2010 09:52 PM
    Anyone know how big the merge's screen will be compared to the Incredible HD?
    Rumors have it that the merge is 3.7 inches and the incredible hd is 4.3
    11-15-2010 10:07 PM
    Rumors have it that the merge is 3.7 inches and the incredible hd is 4.3
    Awesome. I like my phones like i like my women, big and keyboardless.
    11-15-2010 10:13 PM
    Ok, this phone is going to give me a heart attack. This sounds very promising. Best part is the potential for it to be "Droid" branded which may result in Bing-lessness.

HTC Merge to be Unveiled November 18th, Will be “DROID” Branded? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    11-16-2010 10:39 AM
    ugh 2 days!!!!
    11-16-2010 07:37 PM
    Story isnt true. Phil said HTC said its not the 18th..
    11-16-2010 07:38 PM
    Story isnt true. Phil said HTC said its not the 18th..
    Yeah, he said the phone won't be released on the 18th, but isn't that story saying that it will get the official announcement on that date? Announcement could mean the phone is still a few weeks out, so it doesn't seem to far fetched.
    11-16-2010 10:14 PM
    So if Verizon is saying that LTE won't be in phones until mid-2011, doesn't it make sense that they would not delay the Merge to get LTE in it? By mid-2011, the Merge will be a mediocre phone at best with the upcoming dual cores.
    12-01-2010 12:46 PM
    So if Verizon is saying that LTE won't be in phones until mid-2011, doesn't it make sense that they would not delay the Merge to get LTE in it? By mid-2011, the Merge will be a mediocre phone at best with the upcoming dual cores.
    The statement from Verizon said "by mid-2011", not "until mid-2011", which can be quite different. However, I would doubt that any would be available early-2011. So, in effect mid-2011 is probably the real target.

And if that's true, then I would agree with your assessment. The Merge would be more of a "mid-range" phone, as compared to other anticipated releases, if it's not released until or around mid-2011.
    12-01-2010 01:30 PM
    I was listening in on the teleconference today and if you wait for the Q&A this gets clarified. When he said mid-2011 he just meant that was the date they were shooting for mass adoption. The person asking the question said that Verizon already stated that they'd have a phone by February, and then we were told that we can still expect that to remain true. You can download the audio from the call here, you'll have to go to about 45 minutes, give or take, to hear this part.
    DolfanCole likes this.
    12-01-2010 11:50 PM
    Ya know... at this point, with all the delays and whatnot, I'm kinda hoping the Merge ships with LTE capability. Or at the very least various colors to choose from. If not then it'll seem like such a waste... a waste that I'll still go for because I want this phone! tee hee
    12-07-2010 09:04 AM
    I haven't seen a phone this little leaked about. I suppose we have seen the phone, but no release dates yet? Boo. Most places know of a phone release about 1 month before.
    I've been waiting for this phone for a while now.
    12-07-2010 11:53 AM
    Okay, seriously... Are we going to see the phone before the turn of the year? I actually would be more happy if it didn't come with 4G, because that will most likely be at least another $10 if not $20 extra for the 4G service, which hasn't hit my region (Grand Rapids, MI) yet.
    12-07-2010 02:42 PM
    If Twitter/Internet rumors are to believed I caught wind that the Merge is indeed getting the LTE treatment and will be released with the Inc. HD and the iPhone ... so whenever you expect that to happen we might see an eMergence (pretty reliable source - no specifics on how long)

I REALLY wanted this phone and I am happy with 3G unlimited over LTE limited and more expensive. I hope it comes out soon for you guys, but I know I'll feel better about my decision to jump on a Black Friday deal if it is delayed.

FYI I am very happy with my Fascinate and althought I thought it would be a deal-breaker I am using Swype and loving it. Only thing I'm missing the hard keyboard for is emulators . Good luck guys and gals may the Merge be with you ... soonish.
    12-08-2010 10:06 AM
    Here's what I don't understand. Stores, including non-VZW stores, have inventory of accessories for this phone which they now can't sell. Who is paying them to hold all of this inventory? What about the inventory taxes they will have to pay if they hold the inventory past the end of the year? What about the manufacturers who spent money on tooling to make those accessories? There has to be more than "it's getting LTE" to justify pulling the thing at the last minute. Otherwise, there have got to be a lot of angry suppliers who feel screwed by VZW and HTC.
    12-08-2010 03:05 PM
    Ok. let's look at this objectively. Merge was ready to launch. They had saturation to the point where branded accessories were showing up at retail. The device is billed as a "work" phone. The 800Mhz processor makes sense there.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't re-tooling a retail ready platform mean basically destroying hundreds of thousands of devices to cannibalize the parts or straight up tossing them in the recycle bin?

Plus a sub-1Ghz 4G phone? really!?

If we see the merge, it's coin to be the merge. not the MergeHD (which would actually kick epic ***, btw.)
    12-12-2010 10:48 AM
    That 800mhz processor is next gen. meaning it kills other processors clocked at 1ghz, including the evo.

Clock speed isnt everything.
    12-12-2010 03:33 PM
    okay, maybe I said something that got you off track.

most cell phones have custom Mainboards and chip layouts. this is even different in the same model sometimes. so... would HTC take the time and resources to refit the PCB in a finished phone? because iirc the merge userdata (?) had basically said nothing about 4G. All evidence points to the fact that big V had enough units to go to retail. So if no 4G hardware is present, they would have to recall the phones and add that. Or Verizon sits on the Merge till it deems saturation has gone down. I don't know about you, but the later seems more profitable to me.
    12-13-2010 12:25 AM
    err .. oops! apologies to the moderating team. reading is FUNdimental!

Did not read this thread to the last page. got lost around 5 or 6. Carry on.
    12-13-2010 11:54 PM
    I went back to the DInc, but I will get the merge when it hits. The size, specs etc all meet with my needs and I have a 32GB sdcard.

The problem with Verizon is they have great Android phones, IF, you want Motorola phones. Their choices otherwise are so limited its a joke. They need more HTC hardware in their to open things up.
    12-14-2010 01:00 PM
    Yes! And their options for slider phones are ridiculous - the Motorola D2 (hate the keyboard) and the LG Ally (no), so I was really looking forward to the merge until they started delaying it for (imo) stupid reasons (I don't want 4G! all that means to me is that I have to pay extra for a service that I'm not going to get, and won't get for awhile!)
    12-15-2010 02:35 PM
    Yes! And their options for slider phones are ridiculous - the Motorola D2 (hate the keyboard) and the LG Ally (no), so I was really looking forward to the merge until they started delaying it for (imo) stupid reasons (I don't want 4G! all that means to me is that I have to pay extra for a service that I'm not going to get, and won't get for awhile!)
    Here, here! I've been planning on using my upgrade for the Merge, but I really, really, REALLY do not want to pay for 4G. I have the OG Droid, and I'm just looking for something with a physical keyboard that is a bit snappier. I hate the Droid 2 keyboard (not enough of an upgrade from the OG Droid) and the Droid 2 Global (with a much better keyboard than the D2) has horrific battery life (my supervisor bought one, and he's plugging the darned thing in every 4-5 hours).
    12-16-2010 05:51 PM
    Here, here! I've been planning on using my upgrade for the Merge, but I really, really, REALLY do not want to pay for 4G. I have the OG Droid, and I'm just looking for something with a physical keyboard that is a bit snappier. I hate the Droid 2 keyboard (not enough of an upgrade from the OG Droid) and the Droid 2 Global (with a much better keyboard than the D2) has horrific battery life (my supervisor bought one, and he's plugging the darned thing in every 4-5 hours).
    Yeah but keep in mind his battery performance doesn't reflect on the device in general. There are literally a thousands reason (or apps for that matter) that could be causing your bosses horrible battery life.
    12-16-2010 10:59 PM
    to be honest .. right now battery life does scare me. the article i saw about the ARM chip (was it samsung?) that is supposed to use something like 70% less power has got me thinking. I have a 3GS. Have for over 2 years now. the new iPhone is feature rich, but sacrifices function for form.

(it's a crappy device. When you have graphic designers basically telling every1 "this is how it's going to look. make it work." we have a problem. plus ... Steve Jobs. 'Nuff said.)

I want a device that works. I want it to fit in my hands. I want to do what it does easily / well. the merge does all this from what I have seen.. but being a "heavy" user makes me weary. battery life is SOL on all smart/superphones right now. I "need" a new device now. gahhhhhhh.

It's like the old philosophy.. Have it now and regret I later or wait and never have anything.
    12-16-2010 11:40 PM
    I usually end up having a car charger and a spare battery in that mini pocket on my jeans. Makes life easier. (yes, it's annoying, but that's probably your next best bet)
    12-19-2010 06:17 PM
100 ... 234