Can we expect the Merge to come out in January?

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
This holiday season has been very upsetting to those that are still waiting for the release of Verizon's HTC Merge. Allegedly, it was taken back last minute to add a 4G radio. It was also not released so it wouldn't cannibalize the Motorola Droid 2/Global sales. But with Sprint releasing their HTC Evo Shift (4G?) in early January, would it be safe to say that Verizon's counterpart will eMERGE around then (see what I did there?)?

The last time HTC released a device to both Sprint, Verizon, and also as an unlocked device was the HTC Hero. The unlocked Hero was released to Europe in July 2009. Sprint released a redesigned Hero in 10/11/09, while Verizon waited to release the Droid Eris, their version of the phone, on 11/6/09.

If rumors of the release of the Evo Shift are within the days of CES (1/6-1/9) are true, could we see Verizon competing directly against Sprint with their versions of HTC Android devices? Or perhaps they'll repeat methods used when they released the Droid Eris and start selling the Merge after the Evo Shift is released?

Only making an educated guess from various blog posts and no insider knowledge, I'm guessing we'll get the HTC Merge in late January or early February with no 4G (there's no solid proof) and Android 2.2 Froyo. But I think there's a chance of seeing the new HTC Sense UI. I also think it will be considered as a mid-range Android device when it comes out with a pricetag of 149.99 w/ new 2-year contract or upgrade.

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Wait a minute... While I think the phone you're talking about will be the HTC Thunderbolt (aka Incredible HD/Mecha), the rumor about the Sprint Evo Shift 4G still stands...

Maybe HTC and/or the cellular providers will show more than one HTC Android device.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
The longer the delay goes on, the more I'm out to believe the rumor that the Merge was pulled back to add the 4G radio. If it wasn't, then it should have been released by now, even with the D2 Global and Droid Pro releases. It was basically a month between the original D2 release and the Fascinate release (although two totally different style phones, the delay seemed to be to allow D2 sales to be unobstructed by the Fascinate). It's been longer than that since the D2 Global release. So it's really been long enough to see the Merge released, particularly if there have not been any modifications to it, i.e., to add the 4G radio.

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
While I do see your point, there's no solid evidence that even remotely shows that the Merge will get 4G. Even in the latest video, while it was at a Verizon LTE Demo, the notification bar at the top of the screen only showed the 3G logo. If it had the 4G logo like in some shots of the HTC Thunderbolt 4G, then sure. But otherwise I honestly think it's just bad scheduling and management by Verizon. Perhaps another thing too is that HTC wanted to release the Merge and Evo Shift 4G together, since they are both CDMA variants of the HTC Desire Z.

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I gave up on the Merge i while ago i was reaaally diggin the keyboard on it but it seems like the HTC "thunderbolt" will be coming out before it so yeah ill proly just get that since i like the more slim form factor they fit into my jeans better :D but still Dinc FTW

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I think if the Merge is actually coming out anytime soon we will hear something about it at CES. I have given up on it myself.

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Man, that will really kill me. I'm waiting for the merge to come out so I can buy the world wide version and use it on AT&T (and no, please do not say G2 because I don't like its hinge system even after spending an hour with it)

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
'Kay... I'm super disappointed with Verizon and HTC. No news on the HTC Merge and what's most annoying about the event, to me at least, was ALL the phones were 4.3" candybar-styled phones! I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure the majority (or large chunk) of Verizon's current/future customers can't really pick between four devices from four separate manufacturers, even with the UI variations!!! And for christ sake, samsung didn't even have a name yet!

~sigh~ sorry had to get let some steam out. But considering this was a Verizon LTE conference... does that mean the Merge will be a 3G device? Peter Chou, CEO of HTC, did say that he doesn't plan on launching LTE devices until the second half of 2011.

This does concern me for two reasons:

1) This could mean that someone within HTC or Verizon decided to drop the Merge for whatever reason... And if that's the case, let the hunting begin. *Loading shells into my figurative shotgun*

2) Verizon didn't want to cannablize the Droid 2/Pro/Global sales, so they pushed it until after CES (why? I don't know.)

I really hope it's #2, and perhaps we'll see it announced later on at CES or see it released late Jan. or early Feb. like when they released the HTC Hero and Droid Eris.

Last edited:
Reactions: DolfanCole

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm really disappointed as well. Nothing on the Merge since November. I'm coming from a BlackBerry Tour and prefer a physical keyboard. I have an iPod Touch and an iPad, and I used to have the BlackBerry Storm. From these experiences, I strongly prefer a physical keyboard. This is why the Merge was so attractive to me.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
HTCPedia has a blurb up, presumably from CES. One HTC rep said they canned the Merge because Verizon wanted to make room for the Droid R2D2. Very disappointing in my opinion.

Linky: HTC Merge not happening

Though I was interested in the LTE stuff Verizon announced yesterday, I'm curious what qwerty slider offerings they plan to offer with LTE and whether Merge could be re-imagined (new name I assume) as an LTE. Because I'm honestly not that impressed with what they showed off and I don't see any reason to get a 3g phone now.

Spartan616

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I dunno. It's not that I don't trust HTCpedia, it's just after all the different times we've seen the merge:

1) Phil's hands
2) Verizon's "Urban Challenge" in Seattle
3) Verizon's Cabaret event
4) Cellebrite photos
5) Showing up in Best Buy's system
6) HTC Merge ad in Entrepreneur Magazine

and so much more...

The sound of it never even made (obviously not true) or turned down for the Moto Droid2/Global/R2D2 sounds completely bogus to me. If Verizon and/or HTC still plans on releasing the Merge in H1 of 2011 they better improve it significantly.

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
man, that is painful to hear. I would kill to get the Merge as well.. The shift 4g is nice but the keyboard looks like it was fisher priced >.<
I hope my dying phone can last till the merge does come out :(

EDIT: there was also that distant possibility it would be called something slightly different like "Droid Merge" or something of that nature. Atleast based on some of the things I've been looking around on various sites. (also, there was a mention that the Merge is not canned, but it will be released at one point or time and as a world phone)

Last edited:

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i think the merge will be shown off at the event on the 11th. tho the world thinks iphone is coming. i thinkg verizon will announce release date of the thunderbolt, poss the 15th. an show off the merge. the event will go further into lte an the devices.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

I'd be quite happy as well. But, from Verizon's press releases, I don't see it. At least not as a 4G phone. From their press releases, Verizon stated that there will be 10 devices released this year that will be 4G capable. They then go on to list them, and only 4 of the devices are phones (the others are the MiFi devices, laptops, and tablets). The 4 phones are those that were announced at CES: the Thunderbird, Bionic, Revolution, and Samsung's i520. So, while I'd love to see the Merge, especially a 4G-capable Merge get released, I don't see it happening as a 4G.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/01/pr2011-01-06n.html

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
maybe.. but the cdma iphone is what the general public is dying for and mostly speculated to be announced... I do hope they showcase the merge as well though.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Rumors are that the iphone is due to be announced on 2/3. If there's something this week, it should be interesting.

Whether or not the public is dying for it, I'm not sure. I think that if you wanted an iphone at this point, you'd have already gone to ATT. My friends with iphones seem more interested in pricing to see if Verizon/ATT will help them save money.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol