Merge not on VZW release roadmap

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
You didn't see it came out today? http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-merge/74020-verizon-releases-merge.html

There was an article here a couple days ago about the leaked roadmap. http://www.androidcentral.com/leaked-verizon-roadmap-points-likely-releases-april-may
There was another article about the VZ Navigator for the Merge on the store. http://www.androidcentral.com/vz-navigator-htc-merge-shows-android-market

Concerns have been made about the leaked roadmap for a variety of reasons. Someone said that, historically, once the VZ Nav was released for a phone, the phone was out two weeks later. The whole thing is a mess.

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Oh look, more of the same design with no physical keyboards. They arne't even doing the 7 Pro, their WP7 phone also has no keyboard. It's like they want people to go to Sprint.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
OK. Here's what I've heard recently ... as in very recently: Verizon still hasn't actually decided whether it's ever going to release the Merge. I'm betting they won't, just because it's already six months or so overdue. And as great as the keyboard and GSM data are, they'll want to push more LTE.

But we can still hope, I guess.

Reactions: rickhamilton620

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Aw! C'mon! Say it ain't so!!

Dammit! Why does Verizon do this to us????? They'll release a damned video-game phone, but heaven forbid they put out something with a physical keyboard people can actually USE!! :(

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ugh. I'm trying to figure out why this is so difficult for them. Is making decisions at Verizon like herding cats? I say release the phone considering they did all the testing for it. I don't know if they have to pay for testing or not but I imagine there was some cost to them for it - even if the units were free.

Considering they don't have a 4g keyboard phone announced, what's their brilliant plan? Tell people wanting a keyboard to shove it up our ass? That's a pretty dumb plan. As much as I don't need 4g, I'd consider buying a 4g qwerty - especially if it had the Merge keyboard.

It appears I have a few options
- Buy Altell Merge and use on Verizon (while being unhappy I had to pay out the nose, but I shouldn't be locked into Verizon)
- Go to Sprint and use Shift 4g (while griping about Verizon. one problem is I've heard mixed things about Sprint in Atlanta)
- Get a Droid # (and gripe about its lousy keyboard)
- Get another 12 button phone
- Get something like the Bolt or the Incredible 2 (though it's not what I want as I hate touch keyboards)

Additionally if they aren't releasing the phone, what was the point of releasing VZ Maps for the Merge? Could any user from any provider get the app then, regardless of carrier?

Last edited:

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Considering they don't have a 4g keyboard phone announced, what's their brilliant plan? Tell people wanting a keyboard to shove it up our ass? That's a pretty dumb plan.

According to my friend who works for the Midwest Verizon call center...that's pretty much their attitude. According to her, Verizon believes no one wants a keyboard phone anymore, instead they want a 5 inch black slab with 12 cameras a quintuple core processor (because heaven forbid that no function on the thing doesn't happen instantaneously) on it that serves as a TV / DVD / VCR / Ham-radio, that you can use to surf the net, watch Youtube, and listen to music all day on, because apparently no one owns a computer, or a TV, or cares that even though they have a Moto, or HTC, or LG...they are all the same freaking phone!!!!! :mad::mad:

I countered this by asking if no one wants a keyboard, who the heck would want a playstation phone...its even more useless. She agreed, and said they are only doing it because those few nerds who would go out an buy it will make up for lack of volume by paying out the nose for it....

mercury694

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Of course, the power of many of these new devices is also a detraction for me. I'd much prefer a mid level device (as I am often replacing them), that has a battery capable of powering it all day. All day, plus a few hours would be nice occasionally.
I would agree that Verizon has lost the ability to charge big $ for this phone. That may be a big factor, as Alltel is charging ~$125.
FWIW, the hapless salesperson @ my local VZW store told me to hold out a little while, and I'd be happy. I give her about as much credibility as a politician, but who knows. Thankfully, my Dare is still limping along so I can afford to wait a little longer. Wait jealously, that is.

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Just a thought, but the Samsung Gem wasn't on the roadmap either, and yet Phone Arena has it available on Verizon as of 14 hours ago, and I saw it in the store today. Its had the same type of telltale hints of arrival as the Merge, and here it is...perhaps we get lucky?????

Samsung Gem specs - Phone Arena

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Aw! C'mon! Say it ain't so!!

Dammit! Why does Verizon do this to us????? They'll release a damned video-game phone, but heaven forbid they put out something with a physical keyboard people can actually USE!! :(

Exactly, instead they're like "why don't you just get a Droid?" even though every Droid keyboard SUCKS and they know it! Seriously....from 1 (which I use begrudgingly) to Droid Pro...they all have tiny eeeny weenie keyboards that don't make sense given the size of the phone itself, save for the Droid Pro where it's understandable but still.:mad:

Reactions: BoSoxSuperman

MrPib

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
after being jerked around by Verizon for 4 months, i went ahead and got a Droid 2. The keyboard really isn't that bad - and this is from a person who used the glorious Touch Pro 2 keyboard for over a year.

Honestly, the worst part of the D2 keyboard is the lack of dedicated number keys - which the Merge also lacks.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
It is a shame that this phone may never be released on Verizon. The combination of super keyboard and HTC would have done it for me. I went ahead and bought a ThunderBolt, which is a great device, don't get me wrong, but I think I would sell it if the Merge ever emerged (get it? :()

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It is a shame that this phone may never be released on Verizon. The combination of super keyboard and HTC would have done it for me. I went ahead and bought a ThunderBolt, which is a great device, don't get me wrong, but I think I would sell it if the Merge ever emerged (get it? :()

That's exactly how I feel. I have an OG Droid and the Merge was going to fill two of the things I was hoping to get out of a new phone: 1. A Keyboard 2. a HTC Phone!

Verizon needs to stop disappointing before I go elsewhere

yogi1574

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
getting tired of this

just as a side note folks this would be the SECOND Qwerty Android phone that verizon is killing in one year, the other being the LG ENV Pro which was going to have dual touch screens and basically be freakin awesome!!

you can prob still find specs over at phonearena and on google etc. but the specs looked pretty good and the phone itself was a pretty slick looking phone.
i have an ENv3 now and that was going to be my next phone (supposed to have been released nov11th this past year). and now im getting jerked with yet another Qwerty smartphone. i plan on calling verizon when i get a chance and see if there is someway somehow they can get me a merge via alltell. ive been with them long enough that they can do me such a small thing lol.
btw its been like 10 yrs or more with verizon so yea.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
after being jerked around by Verizon for 4 months, i went ahead and got a Droid 2. The keyboard really isn't that bad - and this is from a person who used the glorious Touch Pro 2 keyboard for over a year.

Honestly, the worst part of the D2 keyboard is the lack of dedicated number keys - which the Merge also lacks.

I keep looking at the Droid 2...saying I could "make it work" but I want a new phone that well....feels new. Some of the things about Droid 2 (namely blur and bootloader) are a downgrade. Add in the fact that they probably didn't address the headphone jack eventually going wonky (it's the same chassis...I doubt they did more than upgrade the processor...) and it's just mehhh. I just don't want a phone I know i'll be "meh" about..I want one that's different and will wow me.

I'm glad the Droid 2 works for you though, overall it's a solid phone :)

That's exactly how I feel. I have an OG Droid and the Merge was going to fill two of the things I was hoping to get out of a new phone: 1. A Keyboard 2. a HTC Phone!

Verizon needs to stop disappointing before I go elsewhere

Exactly, many of their releases have been downright meh...with the exception of Thunderbolt and maybe Fascinate...and those are all touchscreen. Get with it Verizon and just release the thing. :mad:

just as a side note folks this would be the SECOND Qwerty Android phone that verizon is killing in one year, the other being the LG ENV Pro which was going to have dual touch screens and basically be freakin awesome!!

you can prob still find specs over at phonearena and on google etc. but the specs looked pretty good and the phone itself was a pretty slick looking phone.
i have an ENv3 now and that was going to be my next phone (supposed to have been released nov11th this past year). and now im getting jerked with yet another Qwerty smartphone. i plan on calling verizon when i get a chance and see if there is someway somehow they can get me a merge via alltell. ive been with them long enough that they can do me such a small thing lol.
btw its been like 10 yrs or more with verizon so yea.

YES! I remember that phone and how they canceled it. I thought it was a cool concept + a great transition device for people using the enV and enV touch, but nope...apparently some focus group wasn't a fan of it (probably because...again...it doesn't look like a iPhone physically....*rolls eyes*)

The keyboard looked...downright odd though...:/

yogi1574

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
YES! I remember that phone and how they canceled it. I thought it was a cool concept + a great transition device for people using the enV and enV touch, but nope...apparently some focus group wasn't a fan of it (probably because...again...it doesn't look like a iPhone physically....*rolls eyes*)

The keyboard looked...downright odd though...:/

yup i agree it looked a bit funny on the inside but then again it was a bit wider then most phones, but it was a FULL keyboard dedicated buttons galore. and yea i read about that focus group thing, id like to know the names and numbers of those ppl so i can smack them all!! see what they did??!!! now verizon wont release any new qwerty phones bc of damn focus groups of ppl who love giant bricks.

papachange05

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I talked to a Verizon store rep yesterday, and apparently they had just heard about the Inc2 officially. I asked about the Merge, and he had no idea what I was talking about. This is really disappointing, because while I am getting a Dinc2, my girlfriend really wants a great qwerty HTC phone, and every other qwerty phone is getting too close to EOL to be worth it. Verizon just drives me nuts.

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Part of me gets why you'd not carry every device out there, however the thing that kills me is that they're carrying so many almost identical devices and the only new ones coming are also barely different.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie