Verizon MAPs on Droid Life

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
DROIDX2 Receives $199 Minimum Advertised Price, LG Revolution at $249 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Four future phones for Verizon are listed - the Merge isn't one of them. I'm not to shocked anymore.

If you notice the dates, all the MAPs are early compared to the actual release dates. Certainly, there was some slippage in most of the devices. I think Bolt was three weeks from the original date? Xoom might have been a month. Dinc2 is two weeks ago and might be another week or two. My question is actually how far in advance the MAPs are set.

Which leads into my next thought, I recall someone mentioned that mid-May might be a time frame hold out for. It might line up with another comment about Premium Retailers getting it first. The Droid 2 Global also expires in early May so maybe there's something there (or it's to prep for D3, but I thought it was mid-summer).

I'm not trying to make up crazy theories, get people excited, or putting all my eggs in this basket (I've been eying the Dinc2 also). I'm just curious how early you might expect to see such info (if it were coming to big red). Anyone?

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, I'm losing heart here...I have a feeling I'm going to have to leave my dying Blackberry Flip, which I LOATHE for something like the DInc2 or another keyboardless wonder which i will merely disdain and tolerate for two freakin years :(

BluePlate

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I, too, am getting discouraged. I actually went to my local VZW store and played with the Droid 2 Global for a bit.

I tried typing a bunch and the keyboard wasn't that bad. Still... I don't know if I want a phone where the keyboard "isn't too bad"! If the Merge never comes, I could like it--I admit I typed much faster and more accurately than with the on-screen keyboard on my DX--but I really think the Merge's keyboard is better, and I'll feel lame if I get the D2 and the Merge comes out shortly after. I just wish I knew whether or not to keep waiting!

For anyone else considering the Droid 2 Global, I found it on Amazon for $99.00, a whole $100.00 less than Verizon's upgrade-eligible price!

*sigh*

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm still holding out hope...but not much...I might cling onto this Droid 1 for a while longer until my other line is free...next stop will probably be Sprint...so I can get a decent keyboard phone. I'd argue that the Merge's keyboard is better than the Shift's though...

BluePlate

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
So... I picked up a Droid 2 Global just to check it out, and I've got to say, the keyboard is way better than expected!

Apparently my local Verizon store had been putting out the Droid 2 (not global) on the floor as the demo units for the D2G, since they're so similar, but the keyboards are actually quite different. I got lucky in that I picked up the one actual D2 Global they'd put out and noticed the difference.

The D2 still has the mat of connected keys, but the D2G has actual individual, separated, clicky keys.

The phone runs very hot, and clearly needs the extended battery to be useful, so I'm not 100% sure I'm keeping it. But this keyboard is pretty great, and makes it a better fill-in for the Merge than I was expecting.

I've got two weeks to decide. We'll see...

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So... I picked up a Droid 2 Global just to check it out, and I've got to say, the keyboard is way better than expected!

Apparently my local Verizon store had been putting out the Droid 2 (not global) on the floor as the demo units for the D2G, since they're so similar, but the keyboards are actually quite different. I got lucky in that I picked up the one actual D2 Global they'd put out and noticed the difference.

The D2 still has the mat of connected keys, but the D2G has actual individual, separated, clicky keys.

The phone runs very hot, and clearly needs the extended battery to be useful, so I'm not 100% sure I'm keeping it. But this keyboard is pretty great, and makes it a better fill-in for the Merge than I was expecting.

I've got two weeks to decide. We'll see...

I've went back and looked at Droid 2 Global images...Indeed the keyboard is different and doesn't look bad.

I just don't want a device tat close to EOL, plus it's so locked down..no fun. :( If it'll be my only option though...

BluePlate

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I just don't want a device tat close to EOL, plus it's so locked down..no fun. :( If it'll be my only option though...

I agree. If there's any hint that the Droid 3 may come out (or even the Merge--still a possibility!) sooner rather than later, I may return the D2G. I do want global, though, so if the D3 is LTE, then... who knows!?

papachange05

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I am getting really frustrated with Verizon over this phone. Just announce it one way or another, whether it will be released or not. That way those of us waiting impatiently for it can move on to looking for another qwerty phone that isn't hitting its EOL...

montreux88

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
vdub just wants us to buy up their remainging stock of d2/g. the merge is still on their device manager so they should at least know what it is. anyways incredible 2 is starting to look really good. especially since it might be able to get the new sense.

Last edited: