Everytime I type- I inadvertently add periods to my sentences because the space bar is so small. Does anyone else have this issue and is there an app I can download with a better keyboard? I have been searching over so many keyboard apps- but none of them address the space bar issue.

Thanks
    07-08-2011 09:34 AM
    Everytime I type- I inadvertently add periods to my sentences because the space bar is so small. Does anyone else have this issue and is there an app I can download with a better keyboard? I have been searching over so many keyboard apps- but none of them address the space bar issue.

Thanks
    i.have.the.same.exact.issue.

my sentences normally look like that
    07-08-2011 10:33 AM
    You guys don't use swype? Never have that problem.
    07-08-2011 11:07 AM
    I also have the same issue with the periods.

I tried swype but don't like it.
    07-08-2011 12:33 PM
    same problem here. tried swype and didn't like it. why did they not leave out the period and just auto punctuate on a spacebar double press.
    07-08-2011 01:03 PM
    I'm using the Swiftkey X beta and have the same problem

I also hate how it won't let me put 2 spaces after a period. I'm very anal about those 2 spaces
    07-08-2011 04:48 PM
    i downloaded the gingerbread keyboard from the market and it also puts a period after hitting space twice but u can take that setting off in the GB keyboard
    07-08-2011 06:09 PM
    Mcbrett, you hit the nail on the head when you asked if there is a "better keyboard". That's excatly the app you should search for in the market. Type in better keyboard in the search and you'll be good to go. I've been using it since I had my fascinate and had to start using it again because of the Charge's midget spacebar and the periods I kept dumping in my sentences.
    expidia likes this.
    07-08-2011 07:46 PM
    are you talking about the better keyboard 8 free version?

Mcbrett, you hit the nail on the head when you asked if there is a "better keyboard". That's excatly the app you should search for in the market. Type in better keyboard in the search and you'll be good to go. I've been using it since I had my fascinate and had to start using it again because of the Charge's midget spacebar and the periods I kept dumping in my sentences.
    07-08-2011 08:00 PM
    You guys still type? The voice to text works so well for me I rarely touch the keyboard except to hit the microphone button.....
    07-08-2011 08:02 PM
    I thought you were kidding about the voice option I just sent myself an email and it works great.
    07-08-2011 09:15 PM
    voice to text, there's swype, swiftkey x, 8pen
    07-08-2011 10:49 PM
    are you talking about the better keyboard 8 free version?

This keyboard fixed it for me. I had the same problem as did my daughter with this phone. Other things were in a better spot for me as well.
    07-08-2011 11:24 PM
    Always having the period problem as well. Try using swype. Samsung had it built in for a reason, they knew their stock keyboard would suck.
    07-09-2011 12:08 AM

try swift key. It works great.

Thanks
    07-09-2011 03:29 AM
    download smart keyboard pro

i have had it on 3 of my devises now and never going back to anything else
    07-09-2011 09:33 AM
    Plus one for keyboard pro. Got rid of the punctuation and have a giant spacebar now. Much better.

Sent from my Droid Charge.
    07-09-2011 11:29 AM
    SwiftKey x. Rarely even have to use the spacebar once you get used to it. Plus it has the best word prediction out there. Never liked swype- feels a bit awkward and it makes my thumb hurt when I use it too long.
    07-09-2011 04:02 PM
    SwiftKey x. Rarely even have to use the spacebar once you get used to it. Plus it has the best word prediction out there. Never liked swype- feels a bit awkward and it makes my thumb hurt when I use it too long.
    Can you explain the difference because I couldn't figure it out.

07-10-2011 12:01 AM
    SwiftKey is awesome. I used swipe and I hated how it predicts text. SwiftKey puts the predictive text in an easy to reach spot. Love it.
    07-10-2011 10:20 AM
    Can you explain the difference because I couldn't figure it out.

With SwiftKey, generally you select the word you are typing from the prediction panel, and a space is automatically added after the word. So the spacebar itself is rarely needed. The predictions are pretty good so it almost always can tell which word you are typing before you've finished typing it. I hate hate hate autocorrect though, so I usually turn that off. ymmv
    07-11-2011 07:01 PM
    Thx for this tip. The Samsung keyboard was always giving me grief. That damn gear icon is right next to the period and when I try and hit period I'd hit that gear also and many times another screen would open and I'd have to hit the back key to get rid of it. Made typing twice as long for me.

I also disliked the Samsung puncuation layout where I had to go to a second page for certain ones. After I read this thread I downloaded the free "Better Keyboard 8" app and typings a breeze again!

*** Anyone know how to turn off the auto predictive typing when in Better Keyboard 8 cause that's really annoying when it won't let you finish a word and it takes over and changes it. Seems Better Keyboard wants you to pay $2.99 to unlock it with a key to make those types of changes. I was able to turn off predictive text with the Samsung keyboard.
    07-13-2011 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD