Major scam from VZW

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
So, I have the Droid Charge and have been planning to use the mobile hotspot feature once the trial period ends. As you may or may not know, VZW extended the free hotspot trial until July 6. As of July 7, there are now two mobile hotspot options: 3G ($19.99/month for 2GB) and 4G ($29.99/month for 2GB). This is if you want to keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan. They have a new plan which is $50/month for 4GB data, including mobile hotspot. But, to take advantage of that plan, you will have to kiss unlimited data goodbye. My apologies for the rant, but this is complete bull****! There was absolutely no warning they were going to implement this. If you were planning on unlimited data and mobile hotspot, it ain't gonna happen. It's kind of like they are begging you to root the phone. Ugh!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure I would call it a scam, but it does suck big time. I don't even stream music or videos over my 4G aircard and I somehow manage to go over 2GB every month. I hate having to constantly think about how much data I've used out of a limit. Maybe I never will exceed it, but now I have this meter I have to constantly keep an eye on. There was at least 2 months this year where I would have surpassed the cap.

dhp106

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure I agree with you. As far as 4g goes it is faster than my home network. I pay over 50 for that alone. I think if they offered an unlimited data hotspots that people would just completely drop their current internet provider and hop on their 4g phones. This would completely bog down the network and ultimately be more costly for the consumer. I believe that the hot spot feature should be a convenience and not a necessity. Like if your in a hotel and want to use your laptop or whatever. Not to depend on hot spot.

Granted if they did offer the unlimited I'd hop on it even though I don't even use it. Had it on my iPhone for free and still never used it.

30 a month for 4g is essentially doubling the price for data which I agree is a lot. But again its a business and they need to make money somehow. People pay for it. And I think they probably get more customers than they dissuade from getting it.

Sent from my Droid Charge.

urdaddi

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So, I have the Droid Charge and have been planning to use the mobile hotspot feature once the trial period ends. As you may or may not know, VZW extended the free hotspot trial until July 6. As of July 7, there are now two mobile hotspot options: 3G ($19.99/month for 2GB) and 4G ($29.99/month for 2GB). This is if you want to keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan. They have a new plan which is $50/month for 4GB data, including mobile hotspot. But, to take advantage of that plan, you will have to kiss unlimited data goodbye. My apologies for the rant, but this is complete bull****! There was absolutely no warning they were going to implement this. If you were planning on unlimited data and mobile hotspot, it ain't gonna happen. It's kind of like they are begging you to root the phone. Ugh!

The plan changes have been in the news for quite awhile now.

But from what I understand, there is an option to get an unlimited hotspot plan for $30.00. There is a thread in the same forums here where you posted on the topic : http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...h-rumors-flying-about-unlimited-hot-spot.html

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The plan changes have been in the news for quite awhile now.

But from what I understand, there is an option to get an unlimited hotspot plan for $30.00. There is a thread in the same forums here where you posted on the topic : http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...h-rumors-flying-about-unlimited-hot-spot.html

Yes, I was aware of the plan changes ahead. But there was never any chatter in the news or in forums that they would be changing and breaking out the mobile hotspot plan into speed-based tiers. At least, none that I could find. It was "sneaky" to give you the mobile hotspot feature for free until July 6. Basically, if you want it now, you will be forced to go off the unlimited data plan...or root the phone.

I saw the other thread after I posted the topic. Maybe Cory can combine the two threads? Sorry for the confusion. :)

qgqlewis#AC

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
i just called yesterday and got unlimited hotspot usage for $30 a month. They said I was eligible because i had service before july 6....although i have had service for years. Just gotta call verizon and ask for it.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I was aware of the plan changes ahead. But there was never any chatter in the news or in forums that they would be changing and breaking out the mobile hotspot plan into speed-based tiers. At least, none that I could find. It was "sneaky" to give you the mobile hotspot feature for free until July 6. Basically, if you want it now, you will be forced to go off the unlimited data plan...or root the phone.

I saw the other thread after I posted the topic. Maybe Cory can combine the two threads? Sorry for the confusion. :)

There is an option for unlimited 4G hot spot for $30 per month AND you keep your unlimited data plan. You have to call or chat to get this feature added.

urdaddi

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I think it is only "sneaky" in your opinion. They had tiered plans prior to doing the promotion of giving the free hotspot to the 4G phones. Did you really think that was going to last forever? It was clearly stated that it had an expiration on it, and VZW exten\ded that. Once the promotion was done, you have options. One of those options is the unlimited hotspot for $30. How do you figure that this "forces" you to root your phone? I am pretty sure you are confusing some things and are really complaining about something that is not existant.

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it is only "sneaky" in your opinion. They had tiered plans prior to doing the promotion of giving the free hotspot to the 4G phones. Did you really think that was going to last forever? It was clearly stated that it had an expiration on it, and VZW exten\ded that. Once the promotion was done, you have options. One of those options is the unlimited hotspot for $30. How do you figure that this "forces" you to root your phone? I am pretty sure you are confusing some things and are really complaining about something that is not existant.
Hi Urdaddi. Thanks for your feedback. I understand and was aware of the tiered data plans and I understood that the mobile hotspot feature was available for free for a limited time. My main complaint is that they hiked the fee for the mobile hotspot up $10/month (previously, it was $20/month). So this is now costing you an extra $120/year if you want to keep unlimited data plan AND mobile hotspot. Or, if you want to go to their new tiered plan, you get 4GB of data with mobile hotspot feature, but once you change, you lose your grandfathered unlimited data package. In my opinion, the way they did this was rather sneaky but...it is just my opinion. :cool: Does it force you to root the phone? Of course not, and I never said that, but it was poorly worded, so I can understand your comment. But I think we can all agree that with the fee hikes, rooting the phone and accessing wireless tether at no cost, not to mention keeping your unlimited data plan (if you have it), certainly looks more attractive to some.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Urdaddi. Thanks for your feedback. I understand and was aware of the tiered data plans and I understood that the mobile hotspot feature was available for free for a limited time. My main complaint is that they hiked the fee for the mobile hotspot up $10/month (previously, it was $20/month). So this is now costing you an extra $120/year if you want to keep unlimited data plan AND mobile hotspot. Or, if you want to go to their new tiered plan, you get 4GB of data with mobile hotspot feature, but once you change, you lose your grandfathered unlimited data package. In my opinion, the way they did this was rather sneaky but...it is just my opinion. :cool: Does it force you to root the phone? Of course not, and I never said that, but it was poorly worded, so I can understand your comment. But I think we can all agree that with the fee hikes, rooting the phone and accessing wireless tether at no cost, not to mention keeping your unlimited data plan (if you have it), certainly looks more attractive to some.

Sneaky? We knew it was ending and Verizon NEVER, EVER said how much the hotspot would cost after the free period ended. As a matter of fact, they specifically said that the pricing for hotspot on other phones was NOT applicable.

Its only sneaky if you weren't paying any attention.

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Sneaky? We knew it was ending and Verizon NEVER, EVER said how much the hotspot would cost after the free period ended. As a matter of fact, they specifically said that the pricing for hotspot on other phones was NOT applicable.

Its only sneaky if you weren't paying any attention.

Fair enough. But I pay attention to my budget. Historically, mobile hotspot was $19.99/month. And you are correct that they "NEVER, EVER said how much the hotspot would cost after the free period ended", but that is my point. They were very quiet on mobile hotspot pricing period and there was almost no indication they were planning to change pricing for this service. So, while I think it is great to keep the unlimited data plan, if you want the mobile hotspot with it, it now costs $10 per month higher or $120 more per year (plus taxes) than it did before.

Maybe someone with a technical background can explain why VZW does not breakout 3G/4G speed pricing for the actual data plan, but they do for the mobile hotspot feature.

For me, and I am sure for VZW, it becomes a question of how much do you want to pay extra to keep unlimited data.

waterfrontmgmt

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
i agree....i have neven seen such a poorly implemented policy as the mobile hotspot. during the trial period, i had a TB, a mifi and a charge. i have talked to at least 15 different reps over the past few months and they ALL said the hotspot would be $20 for 2GB when the trial was up.

i went to use it a few days agfo, and the only option was $30. there was no mention of how much data it came with.

since then, i have talked to another 4 or 5 reps and i get a different answer each time. i even gave the code to one rep and she said she looked it up and there NO unlimited hotspot plans.

i can't tell if it is my my account on vzn.com...it only shows one unlimted data plan...and i don't know if that is my phone or my hotspot.

terrible communication on vzn's part...period.

MrTruckincowboy#AC

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
umm i have unlimited on both my phone and mobile hotspot you have to call for it man
use feature code #76153 most ops don't even know this exists but if you give them the code you get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke