On 4th of July weekend I was up at the lake fishing. Totally forgot my Charge was in the pocket of my trunks and jumped off the boat to tie off the bow once we got back to the dock. Water was barely above my knees, but the phone was upside down and it did take on some water.

I dried it out for a couple of days (silica gel packets in a ziploc) and it fired right up. Worked great for about a week, but started getting progressively slower. Then it started randomly rebooting. Then it started boot looping.

I've tried flashing it back to stock ED1 ROM, ED2 ROM, various other rooted ROMs, but it always gives a message in recovery mode (on reboot) about not being able to mount the SD card. The SD card is readable on the PC, though. <shrug>

Having gone out and bought a replacement at retail, I'm wondering if it's worth it to put an otherwise fine Charge up for sale. Maybe someone can use the screen/glass?

Thoughts?
    07-16-2011 06:28 PM
    The same price as an expensive paperweight.

Just ebay it for parts. Check the completed listing to see what they tend to sell for.
    07-16-2011 07:13 PM
    I might be interested just to mess around with it, what price would you sell it for?
    07-16-2011 07:16 PM
    The same price as an expensive paperweight.

Just ebay it for parts. Check the completed listing to see what they tend to sell for.
    I agree
    07-16-2011 08:42 PM
    On 4th of July weekend I was up at the lake fishing. Totally forgot my Charge was in the pocket of my trunks and jumped off the boat to tie off the bow once we got back to the dock. Water was barely above my knees, but the phone was upside down and it did take on some water.

I dried it out for a couple of days (silica gel packets in a ziploc) and it fired right up. Worked great for about a week, but started getting progressively slower. Then it started randomly rebooting. Then it started boot looping.

I've tried flashing it back to stock ED1 ROM, ED2 ROM, various other rooted ROMs, but it always gives a message in recovery mode (on reboot) about not being able to mount the SD card. The SD card is readable on the PC, though. <shrug>

Having gone out and bought a replacement at retail, I'm wondering if it's worth it to put an otherwise fine Charge up for sale. Maybe someone can use the screen/glass?

Thoughts?
    did you try flashing with odin 1.8 with the battery in ?
    and if you have recovery on there i believe there are mounting options but not sure.
    I'd post your question over at the xda forums before you toss it.
    07-17-2011 12:03 AM
    did you try flashing with odin 1.8 with the battery in ?
    and if you have recovery on there i believe there are mounting options but not sure.
    I'd post your question over at the xda forums before you toss it.
    I know it's after the fact for you but I've soaked devices like Smart phones and camera's too many times. I boat a lot and when anyone comes on my boat now I keep extra ziplock bags on board so they can keep their phone or camera in one. Zip locks are pretty cheap insurance.

I had to slip on algae on the launch ramp several times, before I got smart and back then it was only $50 to have the insurance plan give me a refurb. Now it's $99!

So anytime I'm going to be around water I always drop the Charge in a zip lock before I leave my house.

My daughter's boyfriend just jumped off her boat last week and found the water to be deeper than he thought . . . $99 for a refurb.

Ya can lead em to water . . . but ya cantz make um drink . . . hahaha
    07-17-2011 10:43 AM
    Did you have insurance on the phone? It covers damage (which u did) theft and loss. its should be 6.99 a months and its not a refurb you get a new device for 45 dollars. repeat the Verizon insurance for smart phones does not give refurbs but new devices according to Kate when I did my upgrade in June and she said the price is 45 not the 50 for a refurb because you do pay a higher premium for the insurance.
    07-17-2011 03:41 PM
    Did you have insurance on the phone? It covers damage (which u did) theft and loss. its should be 6.99 a months and its not a refurb you get a new device for 45 dollars. repeat the Verizon insurance for smart phones does not give refurbs but new devices according to Kate when I did my upgrade in June and she said the price is 45 not the 50 for a refurb because you do pay a higher premium for the insurance.
    Check your facts with VZ. Maybe if they don't have any say Charges in stock at Asurion they give you a new one, but it's now a $99 deductible and you can only exchange your device x2 a year.

Whenever I had to get a BB replaced, it was always $50 plus you get a refurb unless they didn't have one in stock, then they gave you a refurb'd device of the next model up. Just my past experience!
    07-17-2011 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD