12-02-2011 03:22 PM
167 12345 ...
tools
    My issue is the people that say "hey look another new phone coming with GB". Of course another new phone has the newest OS. That is a no brainer. When the number of phones that shipped with Froyo reach 75% GB upgrades then I will get antsy for it. Hell 90% of the phones had Froyo before my old Fascinate got it...
    08-11-2011 08:08 AM
    I really am quite astounded that the Verizon Flagship, Droid Charge, after being out for over 3 months still doesn't have Gingerbread. Does anyone else find that unusual?

IMHO, you'd think that the top of the line phone would have the top of the line OS.

For the record, I want to use Skype with the front facing camera.
    08-11-2011 08:48 AM
    Did you all forget this is a samsung phone. I have to look back and laugh at all the people a while ago that was saying that samsung has learned and they will be updating sooner then we all think. Its right around the corner and now it has been a while and nothing.

It is sad to say but as i said before, i can see myself getting a new phone before this one gets GB.
    08-11-2011 09:41 AM
    2 operating systems behind? We're on Froyo, which is only one version away. It's unfair to count Ice Cream sandwich as it is not released yet.
    Gingerbread and honeycomb

Sent from my awesome Droid Charge
    08-11-2011 09:51 AM
    You cant really count honeycomb either because that is tablet specific.
    08-11-2011 10:35 AM
    Thats true...my bad....but still not right

Sent from my awesome Droid Charge
    08-11-2011 11:02 AM
    For the record, I want to use Skype with the front facing camera.
    Here's a version of Skype that works with the Charge's FFC on Froyo:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=407
    08-11-2011 11:28 AM
    EP1Q has been released on Team Black Hat app, should be available to public within these few days. I read that this leak is very very stable with no know issues, great radio too.
    08-11-2011 11:50 AM
    It is getting very discouraging to say the least, that all these phones, some older, some just coming out are already running gingerbread and there hasnt been any mention at all about gingerbread for the charge and now we are seeing pictures and more reports about ics. I love the charge, but it has to make you wonder, did I make a mistake getting this phone when the OS is getting more and more out of date and out of touch with the rest of the android world?
    08-11-2011 11:18 PM
    Samsung = S L O W to upgrade If ever!
    08-11-2011 11:39 PM
    It sounds like from what is being said on Twitter that there is even more builds after EP1Q so if that is as smooth and bugless as it sounds we really should be seeing an OTA release in the near future. Not that quad benchmarks mean much but 1600 with no voodoo sounds pretty promising to me. That with voodoo and an OC kernel should be rocking! Now what we really need is for Samsung to start putting out some source so we can see the AOSP projects get rolling.
    08-12-2011 01:08 AM
    we really should be seeing an OTA release in the near future.
    Funny but people have been saying this for the past 2 months and yet Samsung just keeps doing what they normally do with updates......nothing lol.
    08-12-2011 09:41 AM
    Funny but people have been saying this for the past 2 months and yet Samsung just keeps doing what they normally do with updates......nothing lol.
    Gotta tell you........I would rather they do nothing than do what Motorola does, which is push out an update that has not been tested to any degree of being reliable.
    08-12-2011 10:25 AM
    I guess i have been lucky there because the Motorola phones i have owned were fine with updates. Each mfg has their own problems. HTC is good with updating phones quick but has awful battery life. Samsung is slow to update and (not that i have experienced it) Moto has bad updates.
    08-12-2011 01:21 PM
    I guess i have been lucky there because the Motorola phones i have owned were fine with updates. Each mfg has their own problems. HTC is good with updating phones quick but has awful battery life. Samsung is slow to update and (not that i have experienced it) Moto has bad updates.
    It seemed like it was hit or miss with the problems on Motorola devices. I had gotten my Droid X on the launch day....no problems with the device at all until they pushed out the Gingerbread stuff the first part of June. It just ruined my device. Made it unreliable as a phone.
    08-12-2011 05:48 PM
    Wow. I had no peoblems wifh my x but i cant remember if i was on a custom rom or not. I also never had problems with my thunderbolt with all the problems people got when updating.
    Maybe the phone gods are just being good to me for all the problems i had with my bb storm. LoL
    08-13-2011 07:24 AM
    Samsung = S L O W to upgrade If ever!
    It isn't Samsung, its Verizon. From what P3Droid has said, Samsung has submitted several bugless builds to Verizon, but Verizon keeps kicking them back and asking for new ones. That adds significant time to the development process.
    08-14-2011 01:56 AM
    It isn't Samsung, its Verizon. From what P3Droid has said, Samsung has submitted several bugless builds to Verizon, but Verizon keeps kicking them back and asking for new ones. That adds significant time to the development process.
    This I believe. Verizon wants every bit of their bloated crap in the build. Rumor has it this is also the hold up that is delaying the SGS2 from coming to verizon. Samsung apparently learned from the original Galaxy S series and told the carriers they can not load as much carrier bloat junk on the phones. AT&T and Sprint have agreed to Samsung's condition and will likely be the first to get the SGS2. No idea when or IF verizon will get SGS2 as they are sticking to their guns and insisting all their junk be incorporated.

The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round...............
    08-14-2011 12:28 PM
    If this is the case, is there a way to get Samsung to do a non-Verizon release for those of us who want a bloat-less phone?
    08-14-2011 04:55 PM
    If this is the case, is there a way to get Samsung to do a non-Verizon release for those of us who want a bloat-less phone?
    Probably not, considering we receive our OS updates over the air (OTA) from verizon, and the contract you signed with verizon basically says putting anything on your phone they don't approve or modifying it in an unapproved way, or putting non approved software on it voids your warranty. Don't think Samsung wants to get in the middle of that. What Samsung has been doing is releasing source code when they feel the build is ready as a way of pushing the carriers to approve and release the build.
    08-14-2011 05:09 PM
    That is a big advantage of the nexus line of phones. The updates come directly from Google.

I wonder how much it really benefits Verizon to load all that crap on the phone.
    08-14-2011 09:31 PM
    OK! Verizon needs to get off their duffs about updates for the Charge. It seems like every other Samsung phone is getting upgraded to 2.3.3 and now 2.3.4, but still nothing for the Charge. What is up with that?
    08-15-2011 10:58 AM
    I think most of us are just hoping that Gingerbread will fix some of the quirks that the phone has (data connection dropping, slow responsiveness at times, etc.).
    I'm not sure why anyone would think that some general "fix the quirks" is a likely outcome. In my experience OS updates typically fix some quirks and introduce others.
    08-15-2011 11:08 AM
    Not a chance. Verizon controls the official builds that are released.
    08-15-2011 10:24 PM
    ...So I believe that the Charge is a good product.
    Is there something wrong with you? The Samsung Droid Charge is an AWESOME PRODUCT!!!!

For those having trouble with bluetooth...consider that you might have crappy bluetooth products. My bluetooth syncs like a dream, though it happens to also be made by Samsung. But I do a lot of syncing to other people's phones for various file transfers and there has never been a problem no matter who makes the phone.

In fact I have had none of the problems I hear from people, and I think I know the reason why. It all comes down to love. You must show your beastly creature of a phone the love that it deserves.
    I LOVE my Charge and send it positive energy all day.
    Consider this...I've been on my phone all day and between texts and calls, emails and internet IN A FRINGE AREA mind you, I've only gone down 38% in battery life. Over 14 hours folks. Forget about Gingerbread....as John Lennon said, "love is all you need".

Sent from my Samsung Droid Charge 4G-LTE
    hockeymn25 likes this.
    08-15-2011 11:03 PM
167 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD