Gingerbread

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I read again today that another relatively new phone is getting gingerbread. When is it going to be our turn?

Here's one to add to the rumor mill...

I spoke with Verizon tech support about a bluetooth problem I am having. She took pity on me and told me to expect the next update at the end of the summer. She didn't have too many details, but likely the Gingerbread update. Does anyone here know if getting Gingerbread would help with the bluetooth problems on this phone?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy for you, but for the many many of us who do have these problems, the Charge is not a 'reliable 4G phone'. In fact it's not a reliable 3G phone either for that matter since these issues can also occur in 3G-only areas.

Just add me into "its your area" category. The only time I have left 4g was when I go into a certain bar, and then i still have rock solid 3G, unlike the fassy.

I am in Harrisburg, PA

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Here's one to add to the rumor mill...

I spoke with Verizon tech support about a bluetooth problem I am having. She took pity on me and told me to expect the next update at the end of the summer. She didn't have too many details, but likely the Gingerbread update. Does anyone here know if getting Gingerbread would help with the bluetooth problems on this phone?

I called about volume up and volume down and bad call quality and a rep told me after she looked it, that the gingerbread update coming in mid august would fix call quality issues.So gingerbread is supposed to fix a lot for this phone,lets hope it doesn't break anything else.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The leaks that we have gotten are pretty good so I would imagine that mid-late August is a good time frame to start a thread on "when will we get ICS?"

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The leaks that we have gotten are pretty good so I would imagine that mid-late August is a good time frame to start a thread on "when will we get ICS?"

what we'll get is a I dont know, but i can say this much about the charge!!!!
being a proud owner of 1 for 3 days..

I was begining to worry about the what if's and was on my way back to stock but now that i know the newest button layout to get into cwm, i may try some roms especially since the dev admins etc are worried about going back to stock,, might be a 1 way ticket to a hard brick,,

i live in a fringe area and the fassy just couldnt push its way to a stable signal, if it could even get one..
this charge might not not show a signal but when pushed it connects..

but heres some news thats half fresh... a co-operate store manager told me that verizon was re-working its towers, said it was causing problems and thats why Verizon was offering these upgraded phones ..
ie:fassy 3g to a charge 4g etc....

manager said in about 3 weeks all verizon towers would be running at full steam...
And i heard Verizon will stop customers trade ins for other phones

Plucknbach

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy for you, but for the many many of us who do have these problems, the Charge is not a 'reliable 4G phone'. In fact it's not a reliable 3G phone either for that matter since these issues can also occur in 3G-only areas.

Heh! quit your crying. You just got a lemmon.

dressagerider

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Heh! quit your crying. You just got a lemmon.

Just got a lemon? Well, how about 2?? I have had this phone for almost 2 months and while I certainly feel it is far better than the thunderbolt I had on trial for 14 days, this phone also has begun to have a host of problems.

On my second charge I am still experiencing slight lag, very poor call quality, ozmail text problems, and app glitches. I opened my gallery two days ago only to find that ALL of my pictures and videos were gone. No reason why. I also live in a 4G area and my phone struggles between 4g, 3g, and 1x. I am losing data in areas where I should have solid 4g on a regular basis. I do feel the problems with this phone have gotten worse and I feel like I did not experience some of the problems when I first bought the phone.

WIth this said, i do realize that no phone is perfect, and I do like what the Charge could be if things were improved.

The old saying "you got a lemon" does not put all problems in a neat, little, closed box. In other words - those words cannot be used to justify a bad phone or issues with a phone in general.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Just got a lemon? Well, how about 2?? I have had this phone for almost 2 months and while I certainly feel it is far better than the thunderbolt I had on trial for 14 days, this phone also has begun to have a host of problems.

On my second charge I am still experiencing slight lag, very poor call quality, ozmail text problems, and app glitches. I opened my gallery two days ago only to find that ALL of my pictures and videos were gone. No reason why. I also live in a 4G area and my phone struggles between 4g, 3g, and 1x. I am losing data in areas where I should have solid 4g on a regular basis. I do feel the problems with this phone have gotten worse and I feel like I did not experience some of the problems when I first bought the phone.

WIth this said, i do realize that no phone is perfect, and I do like what the Charge could be if things were improved.

The old saying "you got a lemon" does not put all problems in a neat, little, closed box. In other words - those words cannot be used to justify a bad phone or issues with a phone in general.

I went through 3 Charges. My first was having problems. So, Verizon replaced it for me. The phone they sent me was a lemon. Truthfully, it had likely been dropped or something. So, Verizon sent me a third phone. The third phone worked fine - except that I still have problems with bluetooth compatibility. From what I can gather, that problem exists on all the Charges and on the Revolution & Thunderbolt.

dressagerider

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I went through 3 Charges. My first was having problems. So, Verizon replaced it for me. The phone they sent me was a lemon. Truthfully, it had likely been dropped or something. So, Verizon sent me a third phone. The third phone worked fine - except that I still have problems with bluetooth compatibility. From what I can gather, that problem exists on all the Charges and on the Revolution & Thunderbolt.

My replacement phone was a certified pre-owned one. That is fine with me, as long as it works. I understand new phones have issues and I really like what this phone could offer.

I do not use a bluetooth so am not aware of any issues in that regard. I am, however, not happy with the poor call quality and poor signal strength of the phone. My daugher's Motorola droid 2 global is FAR superior to my charge in call quality and signal strength. 4G is really fast, but my neighborhood must be on the fringe of the service area because I have yet to see 4G while at home.

Sadly, at this point, I am considering asking for a different phone. I just do not think Verizon has any phones better than what the Charge could be if the problems were fixed. :(

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
My replacement phone was a certified pre-owned one. That is fine with me, as long as it works. I understand new phones have issues and I really like what this phone could offer.

I do not use a bluetooth so am not aware of any issues in that regard. I am, however, not happy with the poor call quality and poor signal strength of the phone. My daugher's Motorola droid 2 global is FAR superior to my charge in call quality and signal strength. 4G is really fast, but my neighborhood must be on the fringe of the service area because I have yet to see 4G while at home.

Sadly, at this point, I am considering asking for a different phone. I just do not think Verizon has any phones better than what the Charge could be if the problems were fixed. :(

Here's some basic information that will hopefully help you make your decision.
1. The Charge IMHO is the best 4G phone. It is not the best 3G phone. I don't have any real complaints about it's performance though. Still, there are 3G phones out there that perform better in 3G than the Charge does. You have to decide which is more important to you.
2. In my original example, phone number 2 had, among other problems, garbled voice quality. Phone numbers 1 and 3 had good voice quality.
3. When dealing with Verizon's "Certified Like New" phones, it is the luck of the draw if you get a good phone or a bad one. I will even go so far as to suggest there is a 50/50 chance that the certified like new phone they send you was someone elses problem phone that got returned. You may need to try more than one replacement before you get a good one. If you are facing a deadline, like the 14 day return period, I would suggest you go into a Verizon store and ask the sales people to see who has a Charge. Then, make a call on their phone to see how it compares to yours.

Good luck with whatever decisions you make.

Reactions: dressagerider

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I have one last thought to offer. If you are beyond your 14 day return period and don't mind being paitient. There is another update coming soon. It should be the Gingerbread update. This should fix more of the Charges' quirks. This statement has nothing to do with replacing your lemon. There are bad phones out there. This is just something for you to consider before going 3G.

Again, good luck with whatever decisions you make.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
After reading a lot of these posts, I must have gotten really lucky. I have not had any of the problems people are reporting other than I did receive the ozmail once.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
After reading a lot of these posts, I must have gotten really lucky. I have not had any of the problems people are reporting other than I did receive the ozmail once.

Most of the Samsung Droid Charge phones are pretty good. There are some quality control issues out there that get fixed by replacing the phone. I'm sure Verizon has caused reception porblems during their upgrade process to 4G. The Charge is NOT as good at 3G as some of the 3G phones. This kind of comparison is actually unfair in my opinion. The Charge DOES fight with the switch between 4G, 3G and NO G sometimes. This is not really the fault of the phone. And, this problem usually resolves itself within a few seconds.

The one bug that I am aware of (there could be others) is its lack of bluetooth compatibility. The Charge can be quite finiky with bluetooth appliances. Hopefully, the next software update will fix that.

Plucknbach

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Sorry to hear that you're having so many issues with the Charge. Sometimes, no matter what we do, we are just not compatible with a certain gadget. Maybe time to switch up to maybe the Bionic?
Either that or keep returning it until you get a good one.

:(

Plucknbach

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Most of the Samsung Droid Charge phones are pretty good. There are some quality control issues out there that get fixed by replacing the phone. I'm sure Verizon has caused reception porblems during their upgrade process to 4G. The Charge is NOT as good at 3G as some of the 3G phones. This kind of comparison is actually unfair in my opinion. The Charge DOES fight with the switch between 4G, 3G and NO G sometimes. This is not really the fault of the phone. And, this problem usually resolves itself within a few seconds.

The one bug that I am aware of (there could be others) is its lack of bluetooth compatibility. The Charge can be quite finiky with bluetooth appliances. Hopefully, the next software update will fix that.

____

Knocking on wood. I'm pretty blessed then that my Charge is working as I expected. Every thing works, Bluetooth, 4g, 3g and 1x. It switches when it is suppose to. I'm very satisfied with my Charge.

Anyway, they way is see it is the the number of complaints posted here are only a fraction of the Charge owners that do not post. So I believe that the Charge is a good product.

:cool:

dressagerider

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have one last thought to offer. If you are beyond your 14 day return period and don't mind being paitient. There is another update coming soon. It should be the Gingerbread update. This should fix more of the Charges' quirks. This statement has nothing to do with replacing your lemon. There are bad phones out there. This is just something for you to consider before going 3G.

Again, good luck with whatever decisions you make.

Despite a few issues, there are so many things I really like about the Charge. I am beyond my 14 day trial witht his phone, but verizon has offered to let me change phones if I choose. I think I will wait for the Gingerbread update and hope it solves the call quality and data connection issue. My area just received 4G and I really do not want a 3G phone in a 4G area.

Thank you!!

dressagerider

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you're having so many issues with the Charge. Sometimes, no matter what we do, we are just not compatible with a certain gadget. Maybe time to switch up to maybe the Bionic?
Either that or keep returning it until you get a good one.

:(

Since I am reading that call quality is pretty common with the Charge, I am going to keep the one I have now and hope the update comes out soon and fixes the call quality, along with the data connection issue.

Overall, I really think this is a great phone and the screen is amazing. No phone is perfect.