Gingerbread

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
wont be long now, any day now, right around the corner ;)

it's funny how many times these things have been said since this thread was started in July

I bet we will get it after samsung releases their next phone on Verizon, that way the people who really want a new OS will buy another phone from them (just my conspiracy theory)

I happen to agree with this conspiracy theory, especially when there's money involved. Let's see, if I'm verizon and I don't push GB to the Charge, maybe some Charge owners will get impatient waiting for GB and fork over the cash to get the Prime or Vigor or other new phone off contract. That means big money for me. I'll go with that plan.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think it has some merit, especially as a selling point. I just cannot see waiting until November for it. That is why I thought it would be the end of September.

My faith in my guesses are really slipping.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I would guess a month after that we will see the update if it is in the same class as the charge. I knew nothing about this phone. Is it a high end phone like the charge or a mid range phone?

I think samsung tends to release an update as the next OS is coming out, the fascinate got froyo after GB was out so if that is the conspiracy then we wont see GB until ICS is out :(

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Strat is considered mid level. Considering it is the charge with a smaller screen (4 vs 4.3), upgraded os, just super amoled (not plus), 5mp cam (instead of 8), and has a keyboard, it is still mid. Hell the lg enlighten that just came out has 2.3. Wtf?

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Let me tell you guys, I too was pissed that this is taking so long as there's no excuse for it in my mind. Are there "reasons" yes, but they're still inexcusable. After being frustrated long enough I finally decided to use Clockwork mod for the first time ever. I installed GummyCharge on my phone and the difference is night and day.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I havent heard anything lately, in fact it seems like developing has slowed down as well, not as many ROMs after the last leak and usually there is a bunch in the first few days.

Samsung has done it again with the slow updates, I am guessing the update will come out 9 months after it was released (just a personal guess) :)

I am not surprised nor am I upset, I fully expected this to be the case and planned on rooting and ROMing this phone.

hillview

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
So samsung and google anounce 4.0 ice cream sandwich to be on the nexus in november here in the states. But I am still on 2.2.1 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Since we don't even have gingerbread on these phones, I'm betting that they will never see the ice cream sandwich update. Samsung has dropped the ball time after time. This will be my last samsung product I ever purchase. And by the way, I have had 4 replacement devices in the last 2 weeks! About to be number 5. Different problems with each device

heathro1281

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So samsung and google anounce 4.0 ice cream sandwich to be on the nexus in november here in the states. But I am still on 2.2.1 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Since we don't even have gingerbread on these phones, I'm betting that they will never see the ice cream sandwich update. Samsung has dropped the ball time after time. This will be my last samsung product I ever purchase. And by the way, I have had 4 replacement devices in the last 2 weeks! About to be number 5. Different problems with each device

So Captain Obvious takes another troll down with him.

hillview

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
How is Verizon going to launch another samsung device running 4.0, when we can't updated on the current " High End " samsung device that they offer?

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
nexus updates are managed by google, not verizon or samsung.

I also bought the phone knowing full well I would be rooting and ROMing. There would be no way I would have bought this phone if I thought I couldnt do that.

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to go from Fyoyo to ICS? Aside from having a great front facing camera and pretty much no ability to do video chat, I've been fine on Froyo.

rmcray08

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I also got tired of waiting so I rooted. Running 2.3.4 with gummycharge 2.0 and love it!

Now, I know this isn't truly the right place for this, but I've scoured the web several times over looking for a simple, fool-proof rooting system for the Charge running 2.2.1 (with the Verizon OTA update). Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance and pardon my poor etiquette.