Serious bluetooth issues

AskCat

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Charge about a month and I cannot seem to get it to work reliably with ANY bluetooth. The phone says it has paired, but when I try to make a call (with Bluetooth on), it only goes to the bluetooth about 40 percent of the time. I got a new Jabra speakerphone bluetooth/music player last night. Seemed to pair just fine, but when I tried to make calls this morning, the Jabra didn't even recognize my Charge. In other words, no feature worked and I was not able to use the bluetooth at all - much less the music speaker feature. And don't even get me started on voice dialing...

Any thoughts/suggestions??

Thanks!

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Charge about a month and I cannot seem to get it to work reliably with ANY bluetooth. The phone says it has paired, but when I try to make a call (with Bluetooth on), it only goes to the bluetooth about 40 percent of the time. I got a new Jabra speakerphone bluetooth/music player last night. Seemed to pair just fine, but when I tried to make calls this morning, the Jabra didn't even recognize my Charge. In other words, no feature worked and I was not able to use the bluetooth at all - much less the music speaker feature. And don't even get me started on voice dialing...

Any thoughts/suggestions??

Thanks!

I have similar problems with my bluetooth headset. Every week or two I am forced to un-pair and re-pair with my headset or it won't work. I also have an occasional problem where I can hear the caller, but the caller can't hear me.

I had Plantronics replace the headset which didn't seem to fix the problem. Now, Verizon is replacing the phone. Replacement phone number 1 wouldn't hold the pairing over night. I'm on replacement phone number 2 now hoping it will cure my problems. Perhaps this is a bigger problem than I originally thought?

Anyone else with issues?

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Im having the same issues. My car has built in bluetooth and it often unpairs. I also have the caller cant hear me issue as well.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The Droid Charge has compatibility issues with some or perhaps more than some bluetooth headsets/car kits/etc. I've spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Verizon tech support and even Samsung tech support. I've had 2 Plantronics Voyager Pro + headsets and 3 Samsung Droid Charge phones. Phone number two was a dud (probably been dropped or something) and would loose the pairing as soon as I turned the phone off. The other two phones and headsets all exhibited the same symptoms.

There is an occasional problem where callers can't hear you, but you can hear them. There is no way to know when of if the person you call can hear you unless they are actually on the phone at the same time. Imagine leaving a message for your wife saying you'll be home late, or for a client moving an appointment and all they hear is silence. These problems seem to grow until the phone disconnects itself from the headset. To get the phone & headset connected again, you have to delete the headset profile from the phone and go through the process to pair them again. This whole process repeats every week or two.

It is my understanding that other bluetooth headsets have similar problems connecting with the Charge. According to Verizon, they won't pursue a fix with Samsung unless they get enough complaints or see enough information in threads like this one. So if you have a problem like I do, please let us and Verizon know the details.

If you have a good headset that actually works properly with this phone, I'd like to know that too. I may need to buy another headset.

rmanaka

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have three different Jawbone units, Era, Icon and II and ALL of them exhibit this behavior. Pretty sad for Verizon sold headsets!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

trifecta

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I just finally gave up trying. I have a Verizon/Jabra. Worked great with a Blackberry and an LG. I get nothing when I try with this phone.

I assumed it just wouldn't work with this phone because of some new phone incompatibility, so I didn't call to gripe. May need to change that since it is a known problem and they don't seem to care enough to fix it.

glcej#AC

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have three different Jawbone units, Era, Icon and II and ALL of them exhibit this behavior. Pretty sad for Verizon sold headsets!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
I have the Plantronics Voyager Pro + and have the same problem with pairing and unpairing with the Charge.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't called Verizon to complain, please do so! They won't know there is a problem unless you tell them.

I was able to get Verizon tech support to read this thread. So if you have a problem, even if it has been mentioned already, please post it.

Here are my questions to the group...
1. What bluetooth headset, car kit, etc are you using?
2. Does it work properly with the Samsung Droid Charge?

txmikester

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
So it's not just me! I just got the Charge a few days ago, and using it in my car (audio and handsfree phone) has been spotty at best. My old Droid 1 worked flawlessly for BT audio and only occassionally had problems with calls, so I don't think it's my stereo.

Man, I really like the Charge, especially the screen, but reliable bluetooth is a definite requirement for me. Now I'm thinking I should return it for an LG Revolution.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
So it's not just me! I just got the Charge a few days ago, and using it in my car (audio and handsfree phone) has been spotty at best. My old Droid 1 worked flawlessly for BT audio and only occassionally had problems with calls, so I don't think it's my stereo.

Man, I really like the Charge, especially the screen, but reliable bluetooth is a definite requirement for me. Now I'm thinking I should return it for an LG Revolution.

Hi txmikester,

No, it is not just you. And, thank you for posting! From what i'm hearing though, the Charge may be the best of the three 4G phones in terms of bluetooth performance - which isn't saying much. I'm fighting with my own issues trying to find a reliable bluetooth headset.

Can I suggest you call Verizon tech support and complain about it to them. There are a few threads running in different places right now as part of an effort to get Verizon to ask Samsung for a fix. As of about 4 days ago, Verizon wasn't even aware there was a problem. If we don't let them know about it, they never will.

BTW... Verizon tech support did tell me 4 days ago that there is another update coming at the end of the summer. This will likely be the Gingerbread update. Does anyone know if getting Gingerbread would improve bluetooth performance???

Thanks again for the post! Is there anyone else out there with a problem?

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Something that has worked for me in pairing with my car's Bluetooth set: When you start your phone or restart bluetooth go to Settings>Applications>Running Services. Look for the Service "BluetoothPbapService;" tap it, then hit stop. This removes it from the list. Afterward the phone and Bluetooth device seem to be able to communicate properly.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Something that has worked for me in pairing with my car's Bluetooth set: When you start your phone or restart bluetooth go to Settings>Applications>Running Services. Look for the Service "BluetoothPbapService;" tap it, then hit stop. This removes it from the list. Afterward the phone and Bluetooth device seem to be able to communicate properly.

Can you explain further what this is and how/why it helps?

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Great. I have a Charge arriving tomorrow and along with it, a stereo Bluetooth headset. Grr!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

tefca

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Somewhat similar problem here. Droid Charge, Plantronics Voyager Pro +. About once a week it forgets the fact that it is a phone headset, thinks its only for music. I can listen to music through it fine, but can't make/receive calls. After about 4 or 5 pairings/unpairings it figures out it's a phone headset also.

Aggravating.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Somewhat similar problem here. Droid Charge, Plantronics Voyager Pro +. About once a week it forgets the fact that it is a phone headset, thinks its only for music. I can listen to music through it fine, but can't make/receive calls. After about 4 or 5 pairings/unpairings it figures out it's a phone headset also.

Aggravating.

In my case, when my headset refuses to work, I long click on the connection (Settings>Wireless & network>Bluetooth settings) , then click disconnect & unpair. Then you should be able to repair your headset in only one try.

Thanks for posting! Make sure you call Verizon tech support and let them know about it. 1-800-922-0204 If Verizon determines there is an issue, they will ask Samsung for a fix which will help all of us.

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the jawbone.....it's about 2 years old I think and works great most of the time....I will have to repair once in a while but had that issue with every phone I have used it with....one thing that is new is when I hang up with a call I get a horrible noise for a second or so......sounds like a car crash....other than that seems to work fine.....