I should start by saying I am a thunderbolt owner and will be for 2 more years (unless I get a reprieve from the governor or potus).
    Anyway I chose the tb because I didn't want to lose led notifiers (feeling childish about that now), because I read charge updates must be installed with a computer link (is that true?), the tb has more memory, and many folks said the charge looked cheaply constructed so might break easily.

I briefly looked at (but did not play with) a charge the day I bought the tb. "It does kind of feel cheap", I thought, "and it should run better with more memory."

My droid 1 constantly jammed because it didn't have enough ram for the demands I put on it.

Well today I happened to be at vzw so I played with the charge for about 30 minutes. The lag I head about when changing screens wasn't bad at all, I loged the real buttons, and the screen is so much better I feel nauseous.

I came here to read about problems with charge hoping it would make me feel better but the problems I've read about seem pretty minor compared to the tb. More importantly, having led notifiers isn't as big a deal as it was in my mind when making the purchase.

The thunderbolt isn't terrible but the charge seems better.
    07-28-2011 04:21 PM
    I feel your pain. I too had purchased a TB...but after not being that happy with it, and it weighing a ton, I ended up with the Charge. As you said, the TB is not a bad phone, but it's no Charge! I love the lighter weight, better screen, and I have already rooted mine and removed all the bloatware. Are/will there be better phones available...yes....

In the future, and since rooting is so good and easy, I will choose a phone based on
    1)carrier service in my area
    2) CPU, memory, and screen of device
    3)size and weight.
    07-28-2011 04:34 PM
    I have an extended battery but I actually don't mind the weight. I actually find the thicker phone is easier for me to hold. I used the bump like a holster.

The thing that really impressed me today was the screen of the charge. It is very hard to read any phone in sunlight but I think the charge would be easier to read than mine.

I like the real buttons too but of course they don't light up (do they) so I suppose that is the trade off.

I didn't mind the samsung interface. It has been described as being so horrible and laggy I thought it would be brutal. The one in the store seemed fine. All these phones have bloatware anyway.

I've carefully read about many rooting roms and there isn't a single one for the tb that is not without a problem.. either poor audio on phone calls or dropped calls or lack of voicemail notification or even the dreaded reboots. I'm surprised so many elect to root.
    07-28-2011 04:57 PM
    "I like the real buttons too but of course they don't light up (do they) so I suppose that is the trade off."

Actually, they do light up. People running GB rooted roms are not getting it to work because of a bug in the pre-release GB version, but the charge, new with factory software has the hard buttons that light up. What looks like white letters, actually lights up (even better then the TB lower icon lights)...I remember them not being lit very well.

I think the TB 4g speeds were higher...but the TB I had (early version) kept going to 1x speeds and would not even hold a 3g in the house. The larger memory on the TB is a major plus for it. But for me, the screen, since that is what I interface with most often, was very important to me. That and the better battery life, which the Charge has. Both, in the end will out preform most phones out today and should work for many years to come. Guess that's why there is General Motors, Ford, Toyota, etc.

I would suggest a root...I just have no idea what they are doing with the TB. I would suggest you visit XDA, that's where all the real info on rooting is.
    07-28-2011 06:29 PM
    I Came from a Fassy so take the next statement for what it is worth.

There is very few things wrong with the Charge. My experience has been great! 4G is a constant in my area and the only time i drop to 3G is when I am in a certain bar that must be made out of lead. With the fascinate I got no signal at all in there so I have that as an improvement. The GPS locks quickly for me, may not be the most accurate, but hey it locks quick. I am rooted running Humble with Launcher pro+...no lag at all...I really mean none.

The one con I have found so far, and this won't make you feel much better, is that when I go into airplane mode and then out, I have to "re-enable the 4G. Not sure if it is the phone or if it just me either impatient or doing something wrong)

Oh did I mention with the stock battery running humble and PBJ Time I get just about 12 hours of moderate to heavy use on a charge?
    07-28-2011 07:07 PM
    Oh when I bought my tb I was well versed in battery woes. I bought the extended battery that night. I already had droid chargers in my car and at work and althoug they charge more slowly than the htc charger they do work. Bottom line is I'm usually within 2 hours from a charger and even tb on 4g doesn't drain THAT fast.

I liked the looks of the tb better but duh with the rubberized cover you can't see the case anyway.

I was crazed about loss of led notifiers. I think that was the single biggest reason for my choice. Now I realize that wasn't the wisest reason to make a choice.

Thought the extra ram would make tb run better.

Thought I couldn't wait for bionic without losong unlimited data. Now I understand I would have been grandfathered - is that true?

My reasons SEEMED good to me. Only after playing with charge for a while today did I realize my mistake.

Of couse even had I spent an hour with each in the store I doubt I could have made a better decision. Even reading forums didn't help. Most people act delighted with whatever phone they buy. It wasn't at all obvious to me from reading that charge was the better choice.

Is it true you must tether ever time you update any app?

I was going to post this over in the tb forum but many would be offended. I thought....why not post it HERE where I am complimenting you for your choice!

2 years is just too long to be stuck with a single phone! Still, 4G is nice huh?
    07-28-2011 08:10 PM
    Oh when I bought my tb I was well versed in battery woes. I bought the extended battery that night. I already had droid chargers in my car and at work and althoug they charge more slowly than the htc charger they do work. Bottom line is I'm usually within 2 hours from a charger and even tb on 4g doesn't drain THAT fast.

I liked the looks of the tb better but duh with the rubberized cover you can't see the case anyway.

I was crazed about loss of led notifiers. I think that was the single biggest reason for my choice. Now I realize that wasn't the wisest reason to make a choice.

Thought I couldn't wait for bionic without losong unlimited data. Now I understand I would have been grandfathered - is that true?

My reasons SEEMED good to me. Only after playing with charge for a while today did I realize my mistake.

Of couse even had I spent an hour with each in the store I doubt I could have made a better decision. Even reading forums didn't help. Most people act delighted with whatever phone they buy. It wasn't at all obvious to me from reading that charge was the better choice.

I was going to post this over in the tb forum but many would be offended. I thought....why not post it HERE where I am complimenting you for your choice!

2 years is just too long to be stuck with a single phone! Still, 4G is nice huh?

Yes you would have been able to grandfather in.
    07-28-2011 08:37 PM

Short answers:
    yes you would have been grandfathered in and you still would be if you switch phones now, but you cannot change plans

No you do not have to tether for an updates, apps or OTA's

The backlights are there on the keys

Yep, 4G rocks!
    07-28-2011 08:46 PM
    No, I can't do it now. Stuck with 2 year plan. Probably wont grandfather any more by the time I can get a new phone. I can't afford to pay full price for a phone to replace this assuming they'd let me do that without yet more penalties.

Bottom line is I listened to all the warnings here that I would lose unlimited data if I didn't go 4G by 7/9. I listened. I lost. In this case ignorance truly would have been bliss. I would have waited for bionic and had my leds too. Just made thoughtful, informed, researched decision but would have done better had I stayed away from forums and just waited for the phone I wanted...or failing that going with the charge. Just did everything right yet made the worst choice.
    07-28-2011 09:08 PM
    I should start by saying I am a thunderbolt owner and will be for 2 more years (unless I get a reprieve from the governor or potus).
    Anyway I chose the tb because I didn't want to lose led notifiers (feeling childish about that now), because I read charge updates must be installed with a computer link (is that true?), the tb has more memory, and many folks said the charge looked cheaply constructed so might break easily.

I briefly looked at (but did not play with) a charge the day I bought the tb. "It does kind of feel cheap", I thought, "and it should run better with more memory."

My droid 1 constantly jammed because it didn't have enough ram for the demands I put on it.

Well today I happened to be at vzw so I played with the charge for about 30 minutes. The lag I head about when changing screens wasn't bad at all, I loged the real buttons, and the screen is so much better I feel nauseous.

I came here to read about problems with charge hoping it would make me feel better but the problems I've read about seem pretty minor compared to the tb. More importantly, having led notifiers isn't as big a deal as it was in my mind when making the purchase.

The thunderbolt isn't terrible but the charge seems better.
    Yea I switched from the Bolt to the Charge about a month ago. I love it so far, its of course not without glitches but I think being first year 4G phones they all are going to have some issues until they get the network and hardware all sorted out. The Bolt is a good solid phone it just needs the AMOLED screen not sure why that was over looked.
    07-29-2011 01:38 PM
    Supposedly a burn in problem.
    07-29-2011 02:09 PM
    How is the amoled screen in daylight?
    07-29-2011 04:05 PM
    How is the amoled screen in daylight?
    Not great but brighter than non AMOLED screens for sure.
    07-29-2011 09:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD