Looks like they put out an update for the Fascinate and some people are reporting that they are no longer offering replacement devices in place of the Fascinate.
    07-28-2011 07:56 PM
    ED01 was the update. I had it on my phone and still had phone call issues. ED01 was leaked a while back.

Forget what I said ... I must have been out for too long I guess.
    07-28-2011 08:19 PM
    Arent they up to ED05?
    07-28-2011 08:48 PM
    You are right. When I read the news item, I remember thinking that is what I had on my SF but alas I was totally wrong. I went to the Charge as well so I guess the letters are messing with my head. Sorry about that.

Sometime I miss the SF...
    07-28-2011 09:25 PM
    You are right. When I read the news item, I remember thinking that is what I had on my SF but alas I was totally wrong. I went to the Charge as well so I guess the letters are messing with my head. Sorry about that.

Sometime I miss the SF...
    My 7 day old charge is the best move i ever made with verizon.. seems i got my charge just in time since i heard they are not offering replacement devices for the fascinate. the fassy was good to entertain one's self but kinda worthless at making/recieving calls.. i live in a fringe area now since Verizon made a tower change i think.. anyways the fassy was also a good swimmer,,it took a swim at tn aquarium. sunk about 4 feet and never skipped a beat.. it acted strange maybe even nbetter than before but i got pissed and got rough with verizon from the techs to the store.. finally after telling them the fassy was a piece of crap to make calls they offered me a droidX2,, which i refused saying i wanted a humming bird processor and that the droix2 snapdragon couldnt compete "dual processor or not"
    i miss my fassy it was a heck of a lot easier to root etc rom and theme.. thus far with my charge i can not get the CWM to the phone.. i made so many mistakes with the fassy including a soft brick that i know what to do..

i seem to have forgotten how many times i wait for the Samsung logo blinks before i remove my fingers from the volumn up/down button so the charge will grab the Clock Work..
    and also is it worth it to run a root or just a debloated rom or what??? it works well enough here at home with calls in & out.. thoughts!!!! PM Me if you want to
    07-28-2011 09:41 PM
    I am running humble and it is every bit as good or better than the roms I ran on the SF(Kangbang). Battery is tougher on the charge though. Hoping I just need to let it settle a bit. I got 11 hrs today which is the best so far. I would say I am a light user but I have a lot of background processes running.

I have 4g at work which seems to hit the battery harder but at home I am on the fringe. I have instances where I have 3g and then it stalls, goes to 1x and then drops all together. When data drops completely, it is frustrating. SF did not do this. Appears to be a 4g/3g issue. Voice call reliability is a lot better and sound quality is excellent. I just see the development on the SF and get jealous now.

I have to have the battery in with Odin for it to work but no issues with CWR. You cant use nandroids but you can flash just fine. Only 2 kernel choices that I know of too. I think the Charge will be good. I have an upgrade in 1 yr so we will see what comes out by then LOL
    07-28-2011 10:46 PM
    Here is one of the keys when flashing CWM on the charge. DO NOT LET IT BOOT INTO THE OS. Flash the CWM. When you reboot, go right into CWM and flash whatever and then do a full reboot. THe stock kernel overwrites the CWM with the stock recovery. You should hold the VOL up, Home key and then the power button to get into CWM. After you see the samsung logo once, you can let go of the power button (but not the other 2, hold them until you get into CWM.

So you put your kernel (or whatever) on the SD card, flash CWM in odin, go into odin, then Flash the kernel and then reboot.
    07-29-2011 01:47 AM
    I just got my charge two days ago. I think I just made it. It took me 4 phone cals to teck support and 4 trips to the local store but I got it. Well worth the effort.
    07-29-2011 03:22 PM
    I got my charge on wednesday, man am I glad I didn't wait any longer to get a replacement for the fascinate. Now if my internet at home would work them I could start rooting this thing.
    07-29-2011 05:03 PM
    I got my charge on wednesday, man am I glad I didn't wait any longer to get a replacement for the fascinate. Now if my internet at home would work them I could start rooting this thing.
    ahhhhhh another charge user who has a screwed up pc.. took me 2 days to let this thing do its stuff.. it wouldnt run right etc..but now i'm rip rearin to get a rom ..
    my thoughts for now are the "Humble Rom"
    07-29-2011 05:18 PM
    you will love humble with PBJ, it flies!
    07-29-2011 08:39 PM
    Anyone notice a difference in the cameras from the fascinate to the charge ? My fascinate was ALOT better in that department, but it wouldn't receive calls.
    07-29-2011 09:13 PM
    Anyone notice a difference in the cameras from the fascinate to the charge ? My fascinate was ALOT better in that department, but it wouldn't receive calls.
    Yes, my Charge camera is considerably laggy compared with the fassy. Hopefully something an update can fix?

Droid Charge - Tapatalk
    07-29-2011 10:10 PM
    The picture quality is about half as good as my fascinate. Everything works fine and snappy, just doesn't look good
    07-30-2011 08:34 AM
    I also noticed the camera was not as good as my old SF.
    07-30-2011 09:07 AM
    Got my Charge replacement a week ago - certified refurb phone in one FedEx box one day, battery back door and battery several days later - turned out to be a Continuum battery (1500mAh vs 1600mAh) - they sent another - two days later - same Continuum battery. Finally went to a Verizon store and just bought a Charge battery (1600mAh) myself.

As far as the camera - definitely not the wonderchild 5MP shooter on the Fassy...shame too cause I really liked the "Vintage" settings they chose to remove on the Charge.

Using navigation still cranks up system volume like the Fassy - I had hoped they would work this bug out. GPS is also still slow to lock - GPS Status from the Market fixes this as it did on the Fassy though - just an unnecessary step in 2011.

Random reboots once a day - very strange to hear the "DRRROIIID" sound and see the phone resetting...hopefully Gingerbread fixes some of these things.

Also, on a train from Philly to NYC last Wed. I tried to watch HBO GO - epic fail. The constant switching from 3G to 4G never let the stream buffer correctly as the data lock takes sometimes minutes when entering/leaving a 4G area.

Battery life is hit or miss - some days I get 8 hrs, some days I get 12. Only push email set on a schedule - one widget (Beautiful Weather Home) - and running stock.

I really WANT to love this phone, but yikes - how about some QC...I like how Sammy and Big Red give up on the Fassy, only to upgrade us to a device that isn't really an upgrade. Oh well, the effort at least, is something I haven't seen Verizon give in YEARS. One day they'll get it right.
    07-30-2011 09:30 AM
    [QUOTE=Fifty9Dunes;1143902]Got my Charge replacement a week ago - certified refurb phone in one FedEx box one day, battery back door and battery several days later - turned out to be a Continuum battery (1500mAh vs 1600mAh) - they sent another - two days later - same Continuum battery. Finally went to a Verizon store and just bought a Charge battery (1600mAh) myself.

As far as the camera - definitely not the wonderchild 5MP shooter on the Fassy...

i had some hands on with my charge camera today and was hard pressed to keep up with grown children and their children cousins kinsmen etc,, the camera had a lag that cost me a few nice once in a life time pics of what kids do... and when i previewed the pics taken w/8mp charge against the Fassy ,,they did not look as well..
    as for goodies i hate Verizon and Samsung for sticking us/me with a golf program i didnt want or like ,,and no way to ditch the darned thing other than to root.all in all i am pleased with the Charge...
    also notice,, the fassy shows no internal antenna in its specs... the droid charge does...
    07-31-2011 12:36 AM
    anyone tried any camera replacement apps?

https://market.android.com/search?q=...ps&so=1&c=apps
    07-31-2011 12:47 AM
    When you reboot, go right into CWM and flash whatever and then do a full reboot. THe stock kernel overwrites the CWM with the stock recovery.
    If it's like the Fascinate, look for a file called install-recovery.sh in system/etc

If it's there, delete or rename it to .old and it should stop overwriting the recovery on startup. It's just a shell script that's run each time the phone boots and checks to see if the stock recovery is there. If it's not, it re-writes it. Once you remove that file, you should be able to install CWM and it should stick.
    08-02-2011 04:41 PM
    The camera on the Charge is a lot more flexible with respect to settings, etc. than was the Fascinate. My wife, who was for a time a professional photographer, has said the Charge photos are, at their best, the best photos she has ever seen from a phone. But it takes a little time to figure out how to get the best image quality given the variety of settings the phone makes available.

The depth of field on the Charge is especially good. Really astounding given the small lens size.
    08-02-2011 09:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD