Just got Droid Charge.... battery seriously?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Seriously?

Dude, We own the SAMSUNG droid charge and most of us love it. Telling the op or anyone else to go buy a moto phone? Cmon that is a troll comment if I ever heard one.

"Serious hardware issues" The hardware on the charge just blows the moto junk out of the water.

What he posted is not trolling. If someone is having a legitimate issue with a handset, telling them to go into a different manufacturer is a reasonable suggestion. Samsung does have issues, but they're generally pretty good. (and no worse than any other manufacturer) On the flip side, calling Motorola 'junk' is also not true. As with cars, as long as you stick with a major manufacturer, quality and reliability is going to be about the same for all of them.

aruder

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Droid Charge last week and have been having issues with battery life too. I'll turn off wifi, bluetooth, GPS and have it in my pocket asleep from 8am-5pm, with maybe 30-45 minutes of use during the day, and it's got about 10% battery left at the end of the day. Any suggestions? Not being sophisticated with these (my first smartphone), how would I do a system restore, as you said that worked for you?

bigmac53

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I know this doesn't solve any potential hardware/software issues, but if it is a matter of usage, you could always buy the dock (which comes with an extra battery) and take the extra with you when you leave the house in the morning.

Like I said, I know it doesn't solve any potential problems with the actual phone, but it will essentially double your battery life.

For what it's worth, I have my Charge loaded with apps, and I play with it pretty much all day, and I have not experienced any real battery life issues.

I hope your solution of system restores fixes it permanently for you!

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
You can get good batterylife. Now I'm in a 3g only area, and am running gummycharged. I use setcpu to overclock/underclock with profiles running. With moderate use I'm on hour 26, and battery is at 39% Background data, and sync is on, display at full. Like I said though, this is far from stock!

amojeba

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Seriously?
Dude, We own the SAMSUNG droid charge and most of us love it. Telling the op or anyone else to go buy a moto phone? Cmon that is a troll comment if I ever heard one.

"Serious hardware issues" The hardware on the charge just blows the moto junk out of the water.

It's not a troll comment. The OP is obviously complaining about a hardware issue on his phone - per the thread title. He complains of battery life. I simply suggested that if he's within his 30 day window, picking a different android phone may suit his needs better.
I don't doubt that YOU love your phone, but what suits your needs may not suit others. Maybe the op is a heavy user, or maybe you're tethered to a wall / car charger all day. I don't know.
As an example, many people love their Dinc phones. But it's notorious for poor battery life and signal strength. Yet it still sells very well.

Just b/c you're a fanboy doesn't mean you should get all offended. Offering criticism and reviews of a phone / manufacturer is the only way to 1.) Educate consumers trying to make a new purchase and 2.) Force manufacturers to innovate and offer better products.

It's a win-win for everyone.

What he posted is not trolling. If someone is having a legitimate issue with a handset, telling them to go into a different manufacturer is a reasonable suggestion. Samsung does have issues, but they're generally pretty good. (and no worse than any other manufacturer) On the flip side, calling Motorola 'junk' is also not true. As with cars, as long as you stick with a major manufacturer, quality and reliability is going to be about the same for all of them.

Thank you, very well said.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Here is a screenshot of the battery life I'm getting on gummycharged, setcpu for over/underclocking, 3g area only moderate usage with autosyncing on.

SC20110812-162955.png

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is a screenshot of the battery life I'm getting on gummycharged, setcpu for over/underclocking, 3g area only moderate usage with autosyncing on.

SC20110812-162955.png

Where did you find that battery analyzer?

EDIT: Found it... android assistant. Nice app.

Last edited:

nsdjoe

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Had the Charge almost 2 months now, at first I was having crazy battery issues as well. I've done a ton of things so I can't pin down exactly what worked but now my battery life is *excellent*. Unplugged at 8AM this morning, normal usage throughout the day including some youtube videos and now at 11PM I still have 45% left.

Some of the things I did:
Remove Good for Enterprise from running in persistent mode
Stop leaving imo (IM client) running at all times
Disable JuicePlotter (this was tough because I loved the graph of my battery level thorughout the day)
Install Advanced Task Killer and set to highest mode

I think it was probably the last one that did it. At first I didnt' install it because everyone (including most around here) maintain that task killers aren't necessary with Froyo and beyond. My experience speaks for itself and now I won't change anything.

(Note I'm not rooted and running stock ROM)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Had the Charge almost 2 months now, at first I was having crazy battery issues as well. I've done a ton of things so I can't pin down exactly what worked but now my battery life is *excellent*. Unplugged at 8AM this morning, normal usage throughout the day including some youtube videos and now at 11PM I still have 45% left.

Disable JuicePlotter (this was tough because I loved the graph of my battery level thorughout the day)

I think it was probably the last one that did it. At first I didnt' install it because everyone (including most around here) maintain that task killers aren't necessary with Froyo and beyond. My experience speaks for itself and now I won't change anything.

Yikes. The task killer is not a good idea, period.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yikes. The task killer is not a good idea, period.

+1 for this. Task killer will actually kill your battery faster. It will kill apps running in the background which Android needs running in the background to run efficiently. So Android opens the app again, task killer kills it, etc. --> battery dies quicker. The Android OS was designed to multi-task and keep necessary apps open but only running in the background, not a real drain on battery. Task killer closes things it shouldn't because it only knows to close anything that is left open but not actively being used. Android knows what it needs to keep open in the background but not actively use in order to run more efficiently. So the task killer forces the Android OS to work in a way it was not meant to work.

nsdjoe

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
+1 for this. Task killer will actually kill your battery faster. It will kill apps running in the background which Android needs running in the background to run efficiently. So Android opens the app again, task killer kills it, etc. --> battery dies quicker. The Android OS was designed to multi-task and keep necessary apps open but only running in the background, not a real drain on battery. Task killer closes things it shouldn't because it only knows to close anything that is left open but not actively being used. Android knows what it needs to keep open in the background but not actively use in order to run more efficiently. So the task killer forces the Android OS to work in a way it was not meant to work.

Listen, I know, I've heard all that. But the seat-of-my-pants impressions don't lie. Unplugged at 8AM this morning, still at 80% right now at 5PM. Granted I used my phone little today but that's dang fine battery life. My old iPhone was never that good.

Edit: Come to think of it, it's even better than that. In the morning after charging all night your phone says 100% but is closer to 90%, and this morning my phone drained from 100-92 in about an hour, then 92-80 in 8 hours.

In any event, I'm ecstatic with my battery life now.

Last edited:

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Listen, I know, I've heard all that. But the seat-of-my-pants impressions don't lie. Unplugged at 8AM this morning, still at 80% right now at 5PM. Granted I used my phone little today but that's dang fine battery life. My old iPhone was never that good.

Edit: Come to think of it, it's even better than that. In the morning after charging all night your phone says 100% but is closer to 90%, and this morning my phone drained from 100-92 in about an hour, then 92-80 in 8 hours.

In any event, I'm ecstatic with my battery life now.

welp, i dont usually get into many discussions but on the DC battery life i have to say that i am stunned by how long my Charge Battery runs.. yesterday i ran a card program for several hours before a quicky charge at hospital with sis,, then many calls between and just one of those "fly me away days" and that Charge was still running along.. the other night i set it to a Bible program that reads to you and it ran all night still had 1/2 batt left if that icon is correct. as far as i am concerned i have no thoughts of my new every 2 unless they develope the Charge further along,,
batt life is best,, fascinate was pee poor...

Rominucka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Try shutting off auto brightness. This screen is killer so unless you're in a super bright place the lowest brightness setting should be fine. Adjust as needed with the stock power widget.

Since i've done this I'm getting the same battery time out of the phone but I've nearly doubled my usage. More bluetooth, more internet, newsfeed widget....in fact I never ran any widgets before this besides the power one. Now I run 3 now.

Last edited:

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I will find give advanced task killers a try. I noticed that I can set it to ignore apps that I specifiy that Android may need to run efficiently, and kill the ones it don't.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

neemo6

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Atk its the one single app that i avoided but it does wonders for the charge.i went from 8hr average to about 12 with this only change. I set atk to its highest setting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance