Maybe I am missing something here but this is becoming a growing problem. I plan a call, put phone to face, screen goes black, so far so good. I need to push bluetooth, speakerphone, mute, etc, I pull the phone away from face, screen comes on, I put finger near phone to push button, and screen goes black. This does it every single time. I have to play with it for about 20 seconds before I can finally get the screen to stay on. I dial my voicemail and go to put in my pin, same thing. It has gotten very annoying and it needs a change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    08-20-2011 12:51 PM
    Screen comes back for me when i bring the phone back out in front of me like im using it for anything. Maybe there's a setting but that should work.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    08-20-2011 12:54 PM
    As I understand it, it's based on a proximity sensor at the top right of the front of the phone. If you are keeping that area clear, it should keep the face lit. Are you rooted? If so, maybe flash your rom again to see if it changes the behavior.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    08-20-2011 01:01 PM
    I am rooted but this happened before I rooted/romed as well. Stock it did it, gummycharged it did it, and with Humble it does it. A lot of the times when I am on the phone with the lady, which seems to be all teh damn time and I want to see who text me, ill try and bring down the notifications bar or pretty much do anything, and it will just go black. Pretty much no matter where I put my fingers on the screen, it will go black. I even hit the power button to turn it on then back off and on and then unlock it. As soon as I unlock, goes to black. UGH!
    08-20-2011 01:32 PM
    I am rooted but this happened before I rooted/romed as well. Stock it did it, gummycharged it did it, and with Humble it does it. A lot of the times when I am on the phone with the lady, which seems to be all teh damn time and I want to see who text me, ill try and bring down the notifications bar or pretty much do anything, and it will just go black. Pretty much no matter where I put my fingers on the screen, it will go black. I even hit the power button to turn it on then back off and on and then unlock it. As soon as I unlock, goes to black. UGH!
    same here with my Charge..
    its the best smart or droid /android i've ever seen known or had but that screen going black is a pain in the ars....
    08-21-2011 12:25 AM
    It is a strange issue. I usually hold my phone with my left hand and when I try to enter my pin for voicemail with my right hand, the screen blacks out. When I use my left thumb when holding the phone with the left hand the screen stays on. I wonder why?

I haven't figured that one out.
    08-22-2011 04:02 PM
    Have you enabled auto-dimming? I've noticed that sometimes does it. Also check Settings > Display Settings > Power saving mode. If enabled, the phone tries too hard to save battery sometimes.
    08-22-2011 05:13 PM
    Happened with my charge too. That was the most annoying thing about that phone. Im glad to know it wasn't only my phone that did that.
    08-26-2011 10:06 PM
    Not rooted. My Charge operates like it should. Goes black as I put up to my ear. Pull it away and the screen comes back and allows me to hit speaker button etc. Are you waiting a second before you try to push the button? For what its worth, the Charge does this a lot faster than my old BB Storm 2 did.
    08-27-2011 04:05 PM
    Yeah I wait a second or two and it still does it. As Plucknback mentioned, if I use my left hand to hold the phone and my left thumb to touch the screen, it works most of the time. If I am holding the phone with my left hand and use my right thumb to use the screen, ALWAYS goes black. If I am using my right hand to hold the phone and my right hand to touch the screen, it Always goes black as well. Left hand + left thumb seems to be the winning combination but it is still very limiting to what I can do.
    08-29-2011 10:05 AM
    As was mentioned earlier, there is a proximity sensor on the phone up by the speaker port. If anything gets near it, like your face or hands while trying to dial, the screen will go out. Be sure to keep all parts of your hand below that when trying to dial/access other portions of the phone while on a call and you should be fine.
    08-29-2011 11:14 AM
    Download "Screebl Lite" - it has controls for proximity sensor and you can disable screen locking during the phone calls
    08-31-2011 09:41 AM
    Maybe I am missing something here but this is becoming a growing problem. I plan a call, put phone to face, screen goes black, so far so good. I need to push bluetooth, speakerphone, mute, etc, I pull the phone away from face, screen comes on, I put finger near phone to push button, and screen goes black. This does it every single time. I have to play with it for about 20 seconds before I can finally get the screen to stay on. I dial my voicemail and go to put in my pin, same thing. It has gotten very annoying and it needs a change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    04-10-2017 05:18 PM
    What is answer?
    04-10-2017 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD