Starting to dislike my Charge

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I?ve been enjoying this phone for about 4 month now and over all I?ve been pretty happy with it, till now. It?s starting to lock up on me pretty bad now. I think it?s a memory issue. Up until now I?ve been able to listen to Sirius over a Bluetooth HS, while checking Twitter and following the link to the web to read the article. Lately though going to the web is causing it to shut down and lock up. Sometimes hard rebooting and it?s happening way too often now. I?ve been running Go Launcher since I?ve had it and went back to the stock TW to see if that would help. Maybe some but not completely and not enough. During all this the battery is getting way hotter than it has in the past and the battery life seams to be degrading. Could this all be due to a battery with a bad cell or is the processor over working and pulling on the battery more than it should. Will head over to the VZW store and see what they can do but seeing all of these dual core w/1mb ram is sure wanting me to just dump this thing and move on. Problem is I can?t till my 4/11 upgrade which just sux. Bottom line, I?ve loved the looks of this thing but I?m just not sure it has enough engine for me. I?m hoping VZW can change my battery or maybe the phone itself so that I can go back to enjoying this phone but I?m now very concerned about it not being good enough. I?ve always seen issues with Samsung but it seemed like the best choice of the 4g?s but I?m definitely ready for something with more ram to work with. Looking for thoughts and suggestions. Thanks

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I?ve been enjoying this phone for about 4 month now and over all I?ve been pretty happy with it, till now. It?s starting to lock up on me pretty bad now. I think it?s a memory issue. Up until now I?ve been able to listen to Sirius over a Bluetooth HS, while checking Twitter and following the link to the web to read the article. Lately though going to the web is causing it to shut down and lock up. Sometimes hard rebooting and it?s happening way too often now. I?ve been running Go Launcher since I?ve had it and went back to the stock TW to see if that would help. Maybe some but not completely and not enough. During all this the battery is getting way hotter than it has in the past and the battery life seams to be degrading. Could this all be due to a battery with a bad cell or is the processor over working and pulling on the battery more than it should. Will head over to the VZW store and see what they can do but seeing all of these dual core w/1mb ram is sure wanting me to just dump this thing and move on. Problem is I can?t till my 4/11 upgrade which just sux. Bottom line, I?ve loved the looks of this thing but I?m just not sure it has enough engine for me. I?m hoping VZW can change my battery or maybe the phone itself so that I can go back to enjoying this phone but I?m now very concerned about it not being good enough. I?ve always seen issues with Samsung but it seemed like the best choice of the 4g?s but I?m definitely ready for something with more ram to work with. Looking for thoughts and suggestions. Thanks

One of the many reasons I ditched mine as well.

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have like 50 plus apps and I have smooth sailing.....sometimes things just go wrong....could something as simple as a loose connection internally....that's the great thing about the warranty.....I would be willing to bet that even the Almighty iPhone has had a warranty claim or 2 in the years since it's release.....nothing is perfect....nothing.....hope you get yours up and running again soon....these phones rock....

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have like 50 plus apps and I have smooth sailing.....sometimes things just go wrong....could something as simple as a loose connection internally....that's the great thing about the warranty.....I would be willing to bet that even the Almighty iPhone has had a warranty claim or 2 in the years since it's release.....nothing is perfect....nothing.....hope you get yours up and running again soon....these phones rock....

This. I wanted to stress test this thing awhile back so I downloaded and installed all the free apps from Amazon and went with it for a few days. No lockups, no big issues.

Granted this is only my second Android but it is awesome and so far has done everything I have asked of it.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

This. I wanted to stress test this thing awhile back so I downloaded and installed all the free apps from Amazon and went with it for a few days. No lockups, no big issues.

Granted this is only my second Android but it is awesome and so far has done everything I have asked of it.

Plucknbach

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
No problems here. I constantly have slacker radio playing while my GPS keeps me on track. My commute times are about 2 hours. Had an 8 hr drive over this past weekend with the phone continously plugged into the car charger and hooked up into my car stereo music playing and GPS humming. Absolutely no problems. I've had my phone about 3 months and my battery last me an average of 12 - 13 hours daily between charges.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
K. Thanks for the comments. Hopefully i can get it resolved and continue enjoying this thing like I did the first 3 months:)

mnofsteel34

May 8, 2010
Visit site
No problems here. I constantly have slacker radio playing while my GPS keeps me on track. My commute times are about 2 hours. Had an 8 hr drive over this past weekend with the phone continously plugged into the car charger and hooked up into my car stereo music playing and GPS humming. Absolutely no problems. I've had my phone about 3 months and my battery last me an average of 12 - 13 hours daily between charges.

i can't even use GPS while the phone is charging because i get a message saying battery is overheating...and thas after 1 hour of use

Bittrblue

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
When exiting an app myhome screen wil have no icons for a few minutes. Had the same problem on the Fascinate and no one here on the forums had a clue what was going on. Now the charge does the same thing. And two days ago I tried to use nav and my gfs tom tom had us to our destination BEFORE my gps was ever able to lock on. craziness. anyone else seeing this?

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
When exiting an app myhome screen wil have no icons for a few minutes. Had the same problem on the Fascinate and no one here on the forums had a clue what was going on. Now the charge does the same thing. And two days ago I tried to use nav and my gfs tom tom had us to our destination BEFORE my gps was ever able to lock on. craziness. anyone else seeing this?

I actually have been having the icon issue about once a day. When I leave an app (seems random) my home screens are blank for about 10-20 seconds, even though i can scroll side to side with no lag. Pretty frustrating.

gypsy76#AC

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the same thing and what i did was backed up everything (numbers and apps). Then did a master reset. I loaded app by app and watched the performance. Some apps do cause conflicts.so only added back ones that didn't lag the system. This helped a great deal.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes mine has that icon missing thing for sure. Sometimes worse than others. I decided to try removing apps that I installed about the same time my problems began. One stood out to me. AVG antivirus app. I have been running Lookout from day one. When the trial was over, I decided to try avg. Well today I switched back to Lookout & knock on wood, hasn't restarted on me once today. I even reloaded my beloved Go Launcher and been using that. Keeping my fingers crossed that was my problem. Will provide update after working it over a few days.

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I've noticed that when i want navigation and GPS on the same track I use the Latitude as well as GPS at same time,, gets a better lock.. theres a setting somewhere that allows the owner to select how fast they want apps tp open and it allows you to pick a cache 1024, 2048, etc.. but i can not remember where..sry..

I have also seen first hand that my fascinate and now my charge both seem to get weaker running non offcial roms,tweaks etc.. the upgrades are nice to play wih but remember these PHones are tiny Computers with a phone ingrained in them.

***now i remember where that selection is at,, if you select "fix permissions" theres your options.. i picked 2048 once and this thing flew once it regained the changes.. on this Gummy Fe 2.0 i left it alone.. runs fine.. holds a all day battery charge and more usage..
its best not to venture out into all the roms stacked up on each other is my opinion..
there a loose wire ready to spark when ya do..

Last edited:

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have actually resolved the issue since flashing gummycharged 2.0.. this rom is incredibly fast and I'm getting over 2000 on quadrant scores, plus my battery can last 8-10 hours with pretty heavy use on 4g. I don't know how this makes sense, but I'll take it!

I think the icon issue comes from a 3rd party launcher app (I use launcher pro), so try reinstalling that and see if it works.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
You need to Root.. And run a Custom Rom / Kernel.. Gummycharged 2.0 (EE4..) is as smooth as silk.. I run that with Go Launcher EX.. You need to install Titianium Backup Pro and Freeze all unwanted apps.. As well as install App Killer Pro and set it to " Crazy " and it will constantly kill apps in the background for you.. I also run SetCPU.. My Droid Charge is Overclocked to 1300mhz and 100% Stable.. I have conditioned my battery per XDA-Developers forums and installed Juice Defender Ultimate.. Moderate usage nets me about 18 hours between fillups.. These are great phones once you set them up right.. Don't be so quick to let go of it.. And waste money buying something else.. There is not a 3D Game or App on the Market that takes advantage of Dual Cores.. Right Now.. they are just hype.. Just like in the computer world it took them years to develop apps designed to take advantage of the extra cores.. Our 1Gig Hummingbird processor is more than enough to Muiti-Task.. And if you try the setup I have laid out, I think you will truly be stunned at the speed.. If you do try it, Remember to Tweak the TSM settings in the menu included with the GummyCharge Rom.. As well as Go Launcher EX Transistion speeds.. My Phone switches screens and open and closes apps as fast as an GS2.. I think I will make a Youtube Vid if I can borrow a camera to show off the Droid Charge running at its full De-Bloated Tweaked for Speed Best.... :) Any questions? @Raiderwill on Twitter... I will respond..:)

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Beautiful Widgets bogs down my phone a little
Beatiful Widgets didn't work too well on mine either. I use Weather & Toggle Widgets and when you install the add on animations, the affects are very similar to the HTC Thunderbolt weather animations.
I also really like the app Colorize Widget for Facebook and Twitter. Works and looks really good.

As for the reason for my original post, after removing AVG, the phone has been back to normal so I'm all happy with it again, till the next beast arrives that is:)

Now that I have LTE everything appears to be working much better too. Battery life has deminished. I'm averaging only about 10-11 on moderate use.

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

heres another one with no problems with my Charge.. it does everything i ask and it is the best i've had or heard any rumors of the other androids..
we have to keep one thing in mind .. the droid carries the "Lucas Film" way down in the book..
we all remember Star Wars with the droids ..some good ,,some better..
as far asi am concerned this Charge has been problem free other than when i created a problem which was easily fixed...
i think some folks reach out to far in left field to all the would be upgrades..
some work for some while not working for others..each android or droid is different even if they all came outta the same stock shipping order.
no 2 are alike.
right now i run voltage control noop @ 100 and ondemand @ 600 .... i use it for calls send/recieve and it never failed me.. even in a holler in NC where nothing i've ever had worked..
so Charge Charge Charge thats the name and its game...

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I used to run Lookout until I noticed the icons disappearing on my home screen when exiting apps. Uninstalling Lookout fixed it. Just having it running all the time is going to take up resources.