I just came back from my local Verizon store and compared the Droid Bionic with my Droid Charge.

1. Display: This was the first area that I wanted to compare. The Display Screen is the most prominent feature for any smartphone so for me, it is important that the screen provide me with a very good image. I was disappointed with the Bionics display. I found it to be very pixelated. After being spoiled with the Charge's displya for 2 months now, I can honestly say that the Bionic's display seemed washed out. I compared exactly the same photos from my flickr.com website side by side with my Charge and even the Verizon rep acknowledge the superiority of the Charge's display.

2. Performance. I did find the Bionic a bit faster than my Charge but not really that big of a deal. Even though the Bionic has a Dual Core it is only 1ghz as fast as the Charge. One has to remember that there is a bottleneck between the processor and the rest of the phone's circuits to the display. No matter how fast your processor is, there can only be so much data that can be pushed through that bottleneck (bus). Watching streaming video (Netflix), was an eye openner. The Charge definitely kicked a$$. Picture quality on the Bionic was a bit washed out the colors were a little off and didn't display the same crispness as the Charge.

Where the Bionic leaps ahead noticeably is the hdmi out 1080p. The difference between that and my Charge's 720p output is like comparing 480p to 720p. I like that from the Bionic and also it's capability of 1080p videos.

At $300.00 for either one, I don't believe neither phone is worth that price. I would wait for a price drop in let's say a couple of months. Got my Charge for $129.00 w a 2yr unlimited.

Overall, I'm staying with my Charge. It has performed better than expected and haven't had any issues. I believe that the dual-core as a selling point is overstated. The Bionic wasn't that much faster to where it would make me trade in my Charge.

The Display was the deal breaker. I love my Charge...
    09-08-2011 03:19 PM
    The biggest difference in the dual core thing, from my point of view, is not the speed enhancement (like you said, it is negligible) but the fact that a dual core processor will increase the length you can go in between recharges of the battery (uses less power).

But again as you said, I will take a FAR Superior screen over slightly increased battery life.

Somehow, I think the battery gain will be negated but something else calling it a wash.

I am about the only one that thinks the bionic is an overrated phone. WHen it was first announced, and supposed to be released, it was a great machine. now 6 months later the Charge is better, and the Prime is coming

I wouldnt swap my Charge for anything else out there right now, including the SGSII
    RaiderWill likes this.
    09-08-2011 04:58 PM

I am about the only one that thinks the bionic is an overrated phone.
    If you follow any of our Charge Dev's on Twitter, you'll know you aren't the only one that thinks it's over rated. One of them in particular HATES the Bionic with a passion. It must be his arch nemesis. lol
    09-08-2011 05:14 PM
    A long time ago I vowed to never use twitter, but I think I have to modify it to never tweet, just follow.

Which one hates the Bionic? I am guessing it is JT....
    09-08-2011 05:45 PM
    A long time ago I vowed to never use twitter, but I think I have to modify it to never tweet, just follow.

Which one hates the Bionic? I am guessing it is JT....
    I just recently started a Twitter account simply to follow kejar31, imnuts, JT and the rest of the Dev's.

And nitsuj17 hates the Bionic passionately. JT isn't a fan either.
    09-08-2011 05:50 PM
    he would have been my second guess. I was over reading some of the "first impressions" thread in the bionic forum. It appears that the screen is a big deal to some, but they are touting the speed like it is deep blue on a phone
    09-08-2011 08:01 PM
    I initially wanted the Bionic and, due to the delays, wound up buying the Charge in May. I have been very happy with the phone and given the amount of time it took for them to release the Bionic, as well as what I am reading in some of the reviews, I am very happy with the Charge. It really is a great phone!
    09-08-2011 11:11 PM
    Dual Cores + 4G = Your Bionic Bowing Out in a Few Hours of Gaming / Tv use.. or, Being teathered to a charger like 24/7 ! And you still don't have the SuperAmoled+ Screen ! My Battery is calebrated and runing it with Juice Defender Pro getting 15 to 18 hours of "Real World" use.. Try that on a Bionic.. Rooted, Rom'ed, Kerneled, Overclocked to 1300mhz stable.. ( Thanks SetCPU..), Runing GummyCharged 2.0 with Go Launcher EX.. You'll Have To Pry My Droid Charge From My Dead Hand To Stick ANY Other Phone in it....
    09-10-2011 06:11 AM
    Dual Cores + 4G = Your Bionic Bowing Out in a Few Hours of Gaming / Tv use.. or, Being teathered to a charger like 24/7 ! And you still don't have the SuperAmoled+ Screen ! My Battery is calebrated and runing it with Juice Defender Pro getting 15 to 18 hours of "Real World" use.. Try that on a Bionic.. Rooted, Rom'ed, Kerneled, Overclocked to 1300mhz stable.. ( Thanks SetCPU..), Runing GummyCharged 2.0 with Go Launcher EX.. You'll Have To Pry My Droid Charge From My Dead Hand To Stick ANY Other Phone in it....
    Unless its a galaxy S 2.
    taylorz_412 likes this.
    09-10-2011 07:46 AM
    Unless its a galaxy S 2.
    nope the only one that will pique my interest is the Prime.
    09-10-2011 02:12 PM
    Unless its a galaxy S 2.
    Nope... No HDMI Out.. You should not have to buy that as an "Add on Attachment" The Droid Charge has it "Standard"... Not to mention NO LTE 4G...... The ONLY thing it has to even make it come close to matching the Droid Charge is the SuperAmoled+ Screen... With TSM & Go Launcher EX Transistion Enhancments and the Luxury of being OC to 1300 mhz, The S2 is no faster in "Real World" Switching / Loading Programs than my Droid Charge... And BEST OF ALL, I am Blessed to have *UNLIMITED 4G* internet access being Grandfathered in with Verizon on my original Smartphone plan.. ( Thank's Blackberry 9520.. Rest in Peace my old Friend..) Which allows me to watch my Dish Network ( DVR and Live Broadcast.. Thanks Slingbox..) and NETFLIX as much as I desire.. As I said... There is not ANY Phone on the Market today that can compare with my Customized - Overclocked Samsung Droid Charge Blessed with SuperAmoled+ and Unlimited Verizon LTE 4G Glory..... Sorry.. No Stripped down S2 for me.. Even when Verizon picks up the Ice Cream Sandwhich 1600 mhz version.. to be named GalaxyS III.... I'm Good.
    09-23-2011 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD