GPS lock issue

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Another thing that seemed to help me before the latest leak is a free market app called "fasterfix". It allows you to change the build.prop to pick up a different (better) set of satellites. The new build + fasterfix gets me a lock instantly and accurately (as long as I am not in a basement...lol)

NIUHuskie

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm having a major issue lately with my GPS. It refuses to lock on to a signal at all. I've had the phone for a little over 6 weeks now and at the beginning it seemed to get a lock in a decent amount of time, but now it won't lock at all.

I've seen suggestions that a factory reset may fix that problem, but I'm wondering if there's another way that I'm not aware of before I have to wipe everything. Anyone know of one? I'm not rooted at all.

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue and upgraded to the new leak version. It's not perfect, but I get a lock in under 30 seconds most of the time. In rare cases it may take 1 minute. To answer your question, no other way I know of to get it to work.

LocrianGroove

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
A factory reset fixed my GPS locking problem, but I am interested in what piizzadude posted about "fasterfix." I wonder what could have gotten corrupted in my phone to affect GPS locking performance.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I forget the particulars but if I remember correctly there are 2 pools of GPS sats for the us (or maybe it is two ways to get to the same pool. Either way, the standard Samsung way blows while changing the build.prop (I think that is the right where it is) to north-america.pool.ntp.org is more accurate. You can do this with fasterfix very easily, just set it and reboot from within the app and you are good to go.

The particulars are buried somewhere over in the fascinate forum but what I said is essentially right.

PS: it may not necessarily be a corruption, just a sorta bug

2nd edit: The other pool is us.pool.ntp.org I believe (quick and dirty research says so at least)

3rd edit: Playing with fasterfix, I noticed you can set a "custom" pool as well to test them all out.

Last edited:
Reactions: NIUHuskie

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I forget the particulars but if I remember correctly there are 2 pools of GPS sats for the us (or maybe it is two ways to get to the same pool. Either way, the standard Samsung way blows while changing the build.prop (I think that is the right where it is) to north-america.pool.ntp.org is more accurate. You can do this with fasterfix very easily, just set it and reboot from within the app and you are good to go.

The particulars are buried somewhere over in the fascinate forum but what I said is essentially right.

2nd edit: The other pool is us.pool.ntp.org I believe (quick and dirty research says so at least)

3rd edit: Playing with fasterfix, I noticed you can set a "custom" pool as well to test them all out.

Holy crap! I just installed this, man what a difference! The GPS locked on to my location before the map could even finish loading. Thank you sir.

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I just get a blank screen when I pull up the app. Downloaded root checker and I have root and busybox installed. any ideas?

NIUHuskie

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Piizzadude, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to give FasterFix a shot when I get out of the office and have a clear shot of the sky.

BTW, I think I ran across your post on the Fascinate forum before I posted here. But it was a link to the Market that must not work anymore and I couldn't find the name of the app in the post. In any case, thanks!

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I tried from a computer and from the market. Same result. Even downloaded the newest version of busybox. Any other suggestions?

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
My latest unsuccessful attempts.

Copied gps.conf to my SD card, modified it, tried to move it back, access denied.

Downloaded terminal, tried again, access denied.

Downloaded root checker, root and busybox still reporting "successful".

This is killing me.

I am running the latest 2.3.4 leak BTW. Anyone else successful with this program on the latest leak? Other suggestions?

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is the link again, it is just called fasterfix: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.Double.FasterFix&hl=en

CMGeek, what are you doing with gps.conf? all you have to do is download the app, choose the GPS pool and save/reboot from within the app. That is the big thing to remember, within the app.

piizza, all I get is a black screen when I try to run the app. I have downloaded it several time and verified that I am rooted with busybox installed. This program modifies the gps.conf from my understanding. Any suggestions on how to get it to work?

cmgeek

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused, I have the .apk from the market and also tried downloading from the developer. Why do I need to fix the market to find the app?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton