I'm very uneasy about rooting my phones (something about them costing me hundreds of dollars). So, does anyone have any idea when Gingerbread is rumored to hit the Charge? I'm getting tired of my wife asking for Google Chat with the FFC.

Thanks
    09-23-2011 01:56 AM
    No idea, but I think we need to change the bad connotations when people hear the word root. I rooted mine the first time I ever tried this year not long after I got my device. I did a ton of reading beforehand so I knew what problems most people had and how finnicky ODIN can be if that's what was used. The community here is very helpful if you do brick your phone. I can say I bricked my phone 3-4 times after I played around with root and each time I figured out what I did wrong and was able to revive it. I'd say most bricking comes from people not reading all they should before they root and you'll see it's evident if you actually do read through every page of somebody's rom in a thread that it gets redundant after a while of people asking the same question over and over when the solution for it has been said throughout the whole thread.
    09-23-2011 07:09 AM
    No idea when the release will be but, the leaked version out right now does not support the video chat on google talk. It does how ever support the Google+ hangout with ffc
    09-23-2011 07:57 AM
    I'm very uneasy about rooting my phones (something about them costing me hundreds of dollars). So, does anyone have any idea when Gingerbread is rumored to hit the Charge? I'm getting tired of my wife asking for Google Chat with the FFC.

Thanks
    I felt the same way but ended up rooting my phone anyways. It is my device and I should have full control of it. I loaded the debloated gingerbread release in just minutes. Cake. No issues. Very easy to do and worth the leap of faith in this and other android communities.
    09-23-2011 06:40 PM
    You don't need to root your phone to put the latest leak of GB on your charge.
    09-24-2011 08:33 PM
    You don't need to root your phone to put the latest leak of GB on your charge.
    What is the latest GB leak? I am interested in using the leak if rooting is not needed.

THX
    09-25-2011 02:15 PM
    It is EP1W and it is listed over in the ROMs Section. You will have to pick the non-rooted version with bloat and all. You will have to ODIN it so please familiarize yourself with that before you go on
    09-25-2011 03:08 PM
    Quick question regarding the non-root update. I am seeing that some of them may change your layout, homescreens, etc. When the regular OTA update hits, will that happen as well? Or is this one of the side effects of downloading the leaked version? I apologize if this is a silly question, but Gingerbread will be my first update since getting a Droid.
    09-25-2011 06:39 PM
    *most* of the time when you use a leak, you cannot do any of the OTA updates because the files do not match. If you are not stock and unrooted, the OTA fails
    Jhett likes this.
    09-26-2011 12:51 PM
    Quick question regarding the non-root update. I am seeing that some of them may change your layout, homescreens, etc. When the regular OTA update hits, will that happen as well? Or is this one of the side effects of downloading the leaked version? I apologize if this is a silly question, but Gingerbread will be my first update since getting a Droid.
    The official OTA update will leave your phone looking exactly like it was before the update in terms of layout, homescreens, etc. Like pizzadude said, if you flash a custom ROM or the leak, you will not get the OTA when it comes out. In order to receive the OTA you would have to flash back to a stock build, at which point your phone will be capable of receiving the OTA.
    Jhett likes this.
    09-26-2011 02:21 PM
    Question: Is it just the Charge that hasn't been upgraded to Gingerbread (officially) yet, or are there other 4GLTE phones that don't have Gingerbread?
    09-27-2011 11:11 AM
    The TB is just getting it now, not sure about the others
    09-27-2011 12:42 PM
    I just want to add in something else (besides my hated of threads like these) THe TB was released a month and a half before the Charge and they are just getting GB now. I really think that the hold up is on the bloatware end with VZW.
    09-27-2011 07:51 PM
    After a lot of reading, I am still unsure of what it is holding up the release. I don't know if it is indeed the bloatware or not, because EP1W seems to be working fine and bug free as far as I can tell. I will give it a flash in a couple of weeks when I am less busy.
    09-27-2011 09:10 PM
    After a lot of reading, I am still unsure of what it is holding up the release. I don't know if it is indeed the bloatware or not, because EP1W seems to be working fine and bug free as far as I can tell. I will give it a flash in a couple of weeks when I am less busy.
    It is a mix IMHO. Sammy puts the base together and sends it to VZW. VZW puts thier crap on it, then sends it back.It gets more polished off, then sent back to VZW (hopefully the final version). Then VZW sits on it a bit for the right news cycle.

I blame VZW more than sammy though. The bloat doenst need to be so intertwined cause not just one build but 2 before it gets the seal of approval from Samsung. Then the sit on it until an appropriate time to release
    09-27-2011 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD