I keep reading that the auto-brightness should be turned OFF. I've been running with it that way for a couple of months. And it is OK, except that if I am outside in bright sunlight and the last time I used my phone was inside with the brightness down all the way, I can't see the screen well enough to turn the brightness back up (without a great deal of effort to shade the screen).

With my schedule I'm in-and-outside quite frequently, so this happens 2x day or more. So....I've gone back and turned auto-brightness back ON. Can't complain about performance now.

Is battery life really that much affected by this setting? Why is that? Does it over-adjust the brightness too high and that's the difference? ??
    09-30-2011 11:39 AM
    A really neat trick I discovered is that if you have auto-brightness off (which you should), you can very quickly change the phone's display brightness by holding a finger on top of the status bar without sliding the notification panel down. You can then slide your finger back and forth to adjust the brightness: all the way to the left being 0% and right being 100%.

I posted that in another thread recently. It is one of the coolest and most useful tricks I have stumbled upon!
    Dnoravian and kart38 like this.
    09-30-2011 12:00 PM
    A really neat trick I discovered is that if you have auto-brightness off (which you should), you can very quickly change the phone's display brightness by holding a finger on top of the status bar without sliding the notification panel down. You can then slide your finger back and forth to adjust the brightness: all the way to the left being 0% and right being 100%.

I posted that in another thread recently. It is one of the coolest and most useful tricks I have stumbled upon!
    Thanks, I am aware of that. But in bright sunlight, when you pull the phone out of your pocket it is difficult to unlock (I have a work-enforced code that needs to be entered), and difficult to get your finger in the right spot to change the brightness. (Or at least it is for me. )
    09-30-2011 12:12 PM
    Check out the tip in the thread entitled Charge Noob.

Turn off autobright and slide your finger on the notification bar left to right and that changes the brightness level
    treboh likes this.
    09-30-2011 02:03 PM
    Check out the tip in the thread entitled Charge Noob.

Turn off autobright and slide your finger on the notification bar left to right and that changes the brightness level
    /begin broken record here
    Thanks, I am aware of that. But in bright sunlight, when you pull the phone out of your pocket it is difficult to unlock (I have a work-enforced code that needs to be entered), and difficult to get your finger in the right spot to change the brightness. (Or at least it is for me. )
    09-30-2011 02:08 PM
    DOH! Sorry for being a parrot there, I didnt read all the way through.

I (up until I saw this trick) always had auto turned off and the brightness all the way up. Here are my thoughts:

I love the screen on this thing and having it dimmed takes away from it. I bought the phone for the features and I will be damned if I am going to cripple my own phone for the sake of battery life. I would rather carry around 2 of them and use the phone to its full capabilities. I would rather cut corners elsewhere to save the battery than turn it down.

That being said, the display being on full bright does adversely affect the battery life a lot. Life is a series of compromises.
    09-30-2011 02:39 PM
    I'm getting the impression from what you said that you have access to your status bar before unlocking your device with the code. If you're not noticing the brightness changing when you place your finger in the top right, try slightly rolling or sliding your finger on the bar. That does the trick for me. I can't really imagine an easier way to manage the brightness (other than just leaving it on 100% all the time ).
    09-30-2011 03:01 PM
    I say just leave auto on. Seems no one knows how much it affects battery :-)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    09-30-2011 03:29 PM

I'm not new to Android, but I had been blissfully unaware of this little trick. Pretty cool!

Jason
    09-30-2011 04:40 PM
    I say just leave auto on. Seems no one knows how much it affects battery :-)

Yeah, this is sort of what I was getting at.
    09-30-2011 07:08 PM
    Yes I know :-) I think it may be sn old fable anyway lol.

09-30-2011 07:24 PM

Okay, this may be implied in your post, but just wanted to be explicit...

No sliding required!! (With screen unlocked), just TAP and HOLD a point on the status bar corresponding to the brightness level desired. All the way to the left is the dimmest, all the way to the right is the brightest!

That's it, folks, doesn't get any easier than this :-)

Droid Charge - Tapatalk
    09-30-2011 11:40 PM
    I think the point is that the op can NOT see to unlock the screen. My tests indicate the phone must be inlocked to use the trick.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk.
    10-06-2011 06:54 PM
    I think the point is that the op can NOT see to unlock the screen. My tests indicate the phone must be [u]nlocked to use the trick.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk.
    Yes. Exactly.
    10-07-2011 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD