Ice Cream Sandwich - ICS on Charge?

sv_one

May 17, 2011
Visit site
So....wonder if and when this will be released on the Charge. (Wouldn't it be something if they didn't release gingerbread because they - SURPRISE - wanted to go straight to ICS!?)

Yeah, I know, I'm delusional.

:eek:

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
Well I actually got a reply, but not an answer to my question to Samsung. "I know as of right now Verizon and Samsung are bickering over the upgrade to the latest OS upgrade for the Droid Charge, but if Verizon won't corporate will you at least step up and save us from the feud and release a Samsung only upgrade?". Here is the response:

Dear William,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we are unable to speculate when/if this Gingerbread software revision might be available for Samsung Droid Charge due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.

Should this become available, it will be posted on our website in the Samsung Download Center.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Do you have more questions regarding your Samsung Mobile Phone? For 24 hour information and assistance, we offer our new FAQ/ARS System - Automated Response System at

Samsung .

We appreciate your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,
Chris
Technical Support

So I'm not holding my breath any longer.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
If you are going to write to a business you need to be sure to check for spelling errors... you used corporate instead of cooperate :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sv_one

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you all saw the Androidcentral post on this topic, but in case not, here's the link to the full article and an excerpt of the portion dealing with the Droid Charge.

The charge was not listed under the subheading "Phones That Will Get ICS." It was listed under "Phones that might (and should) get Ice Cream Sandwich".

http://www.androidcentral.com/will-my-phone-get-ice-cream-sandwich
Samsung Droid Charge

If the Nexus S can get updated, and LTE is working well in the Galaxy Nexus with ICS, there's no reason for the Charge not to see ICS. Samsung will figure out whatever they plan to do with TouchWiz, then they need to start rolling those changes out to their early adopters in the LTE space. Luckily, Samsung is in a pretty unique position once again -- they are building the Nexus Galaxy and have worked closely with Google during the process. The Charge is still what most of us would call a "new" phone and taking time to get it updated is a wise move. Whatever Samsung and Verizon decide to do here will be remembered by tech nerds on the Internet forever.​

Reactions: bafrench

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I actually got a reply, but not an answer to my question to Samsung. "I know as of right now Verizon and Samsung are bickering over the upgrade to the latest OS upgrade for the Droid Charge, but if Verizon won't corporate will you at least step up and save us from the feud and release a Samsung only upgrade?". Here is the response:

I'll explain this situation, and you'll be able to answer your own question. The Droid Charge is a Verizon product, manufactured by Samsung. Samsung manufactures the phone, creates the software builds (including the Verizon extras), and tests that they work together. Verizon then sells the phone and is ultimately responsible for supporting it.

Its important to understand that relationship, and know that Samsung is never going to release any updates themselves. Doing so would actually be a serious breach of contract, and a lawsuit from Verizon would follow. The main reason that Verizon is so slow to release updates is that they face huge risks in support costs and customer satisfaction if an update causes problems. For the 2% of us that are demanding Gingerbread, and would probably accept a few new bugs just to have a newer OS, there is the other 98% that would be freaking out because they "sent out some update that broke my phone." Even something as simple as an update causing a factory reset could result in tens of thousands of support calls from angry users.

What is probably going on right now with the Charge Gingerbread update is that Verizon continues to find bugs in the rom builds and is going back to Samsung for fixes. (Its not because Verizon is taking time to add their bloat-ware; all of that is baked into the package that comes from Samsung.) My guess at this point is that they still will release Gingerbread for the Charge, but it will be something newer than the current "leak" that's out there.

W_A_Watson_II

Jun 21, 2011
wawii.com
I'm sure that you have it right, that VZW designs/specifies the details in the complete phone and Samsung is just a manufacturing facility.

I know carriers like VZW make design demands, but if it was as you describe, the same phone would not be used across carriers. If it's as you describe, as much as I hate apple, perhaps we should just embrace it and and get a phone that works as intended. Yea the "Charge" model is only offered by VZW, and I suspect there is some exclusivity deal that releasing their own software would cause a ruckus.

I guess VZW also wrote the specifications for Android and Google is just the coding house as well, darn. Guess all the phones are actually running different OS's and not the same one.

I only stayed with VZW because of coverage requirements, but this damn phone isn't working any better than an Iphone is those marginal areas. My old BB was a great reception phone, just getting so old there weren't any software updates. Wait those updates were from BB, I thought VZW designed the phone, why didn't I get updates from VZW rather than BB?

At this point I'm getting feed up with the VZW software and it's continuous updates that change/break functions. I should have just bought a very good brick phone with plenty of signal strength and a table of my own choosing rather than a SERVICE PROVIDER's dictate and used the two separately. If only the SERVICE PROVIDER would not GOUGE me on such a contract coverage plan.

Enjoy,
Will

Midnight_Ninja

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling that they are going to release ICS on the charge, the question really now becomes, when will they release it. I remember reading somewhere that Verizon will support/update their phones for 18 months. So I have a feeling that if we dont see GB before the end of the year, we are getting ICS.

In regards to the post about bugs in GB, the last two GB links, have had little to no bugs, and most of the people running them seem to have a bug free experience.

Gravytrain

May 11, 2011
Visit site
The charge is not gonna get ics... We're gonna be stuck with this lagging thing until its upgrade time. As soon as iPhone has a bigger display, I'm going back to ios.

ick

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is not going to allow the Charge to be updated with any new operating system. That way they sell more phones. You'll only be able to get the latest and greatest if you pay. Follow the $$$. Root, root, root.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've given up expecting any upgrades on the phone from Verizon and Samsung. Even Samsung's website has posted (and this was posted by someone at Samsung), they dont know when or if the charge is going to get gingerbread. I rooted and with each new stable leak, I flash it to my phone and that is how I upgrade and have been happy each time.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
You think we are going to get ics port to the charge maybe,from a awesome devs? There doesn't seem to be that many roms for the Charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waterpig