I've always been told to leave all GPS off on my Droid to conserve battery. I just decided to get some kind of anti-theft, lock, scream, AV program and chose the Beta of BitDefender because they say they are being very careful about battery life and BitDefender is a decent AV anyway.

But no matter what app I use, if I want to be able to locate my phone, I have to keep GPS turned on all the time. What are the differences, in exactness and battery use between the VZ GPS, the StandAlone GPS and the Google GPS?

I can't imagine using all of them because I'd have no battery! Which should I use and does anyone know about how much battery they take?

Thanks for any info and suggestions.

Louise
    10-25-2011 11:14 PM
    Not like it matters, GPS on the charge is so crappy you wont be able to locate the device anyway....
    10-26-2011 01:19 PM
    I thought it was standalone, but I always leave all 3 checked and in use, because to me, it feels like i am getting the fastest lock time.

As for the GPS being horrible, I finally got fasterfix to work on my phone and it works wonderful now, accurate to about 10 meters.
    10-26-2011 09:01 PM
    As for the GPS being horrible, I finally got fasterfix to work on my phone and it works wonderful now, accurate to about 10 meters.
    Fasterfix didnt work for me, neither did the manual method. Gps takes like five minutes to lock.
    10-26-2011 09:08 PM
    It didnt work for me the first time. I would restore the GPS with the dial code, and try faster fix again. Also, use GPS status to confirm that something is actually happening.

One more thing: GPS does not lock inside. Most of the time you have to be outside.
    10-28-2011 02:20 PM
    It didnt work for me the first time. I would restore the GPS with the dial code, and try faster fix again. Also, use GPS status to confirm that something is actually happening.

One more thing: GPS does not lock inside. Most of the time you have to be outside.
    Whats the dial code so i can try that
    10-28-2011 06:23 PM
    On Gummy Charged, there was a dial code menu that did it automatically. I don't know what exact code it was, but on the menu it came up as GPSCLRX.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...I will keep my eyes peeled to see if I can find the actual code.
    10-30-2011 09:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD