So, are they ever going to fix the GPS?

ct1211

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I just got a refurb phone from Verizon in the mail. GPS is still slow and the Hotspot drop out is faster and more prevalent than it was on the old phone! Nice!

Wanderist

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a lot of problems with my GPS, but I don't use it as heavily as I did with my Moto D2 either. But I think you're right, I think they're abandoning the Charge. I know I have not been happy with it. This is my second phone - the first one had radio issues and would drop my side of a call for no reason and was unreliable for Data.

This was my first Samsung phone, and I do believe it will be my last.

DarkCreep

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Has GB fixed this issue??

My EVO 4G used to connect to the GPS almost instantly, but this phone takes about 5 minutes which is super annoying. I hate having to pull over and wait for it to lock before I begin driving again.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Nope, mine is still slow as hell after the update. It has to be the hardware, if it was a simple software fix we would have had it already.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the first time I tried to use the GPS on the Charge after GB update it took 6 minutes to get a lock OUTSIDE.

lordbear

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: I failed to quote the guy I'm replying to... but he was talking about allowing the Global Roaming) or some other nonsense. As it happens, my response shows up after another goof who was told that it uses Wifi. This edited reponse applies to both]

That is not GPS. That is location being estimated by triangulation will nearby cellphone towers or based on network connections.

Global Positioning System uses satellites to determine, fairly precisely (measured in tens of feet), your location. The other methods of estimating your lcoation, within tenths of mile usually, will not help you navigate - well, not very well. :)

Last edited:

chrstdvd

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
EDIT: I failed to quote the guy I'm replying to... but he was talking about allowing the Global Roaming) or some other nonsense. As it happens, my response shows up after another goof who was told that it uses Wifi. This edited reponse applies to both]

That is not GPS. That is location being estimated by triangulation will nearby cellphone towers or based on network connections.

Global Positioning System uses satellites to determine, fairly precisely (measured in tens of feet), your location. The other methods of estimating your lcoation, within tenths of mile usually, will not help you navigate - well, not very well. :)

You caught me in a bad mood! I am so tired of hearing people whine and cry about your phones. You should learn what the phone can do before you purchase it. There are apps so that you can see which satellites you are locked on to just like if you use your Tom Tom or whatever you have! There is NOTHING wrong with gps. It is, like most problems, operator error

Sorry, but your comment jerked my chain. I have a Droid 2 and a Droid Charge, no problems with battery, GPS, 3G/4G signal, or anything you people cry and whine about. LEARN UR PHONE!

Or better, get a land line and quit crying!

shopman

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
My GPS has worked great since the GB update locks on quick so it work great for goggle nav. now
my phone is also faster now. its stock with launcher pro

donshell

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I know how to use my phone. I have taken it into the store and they can not get it to work. I am on phone number 3. I am glad you have a phone that works perfect

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Tried to see how quick the GPS would lock on after the GB update. Previously, it took 10 minutes only took about 30 secs today. Let's hope that the lock on issue was finally resolved by this GB update.

Was nice to see it lock on immediately cause I only had about a quarter of a mile to the end of the road I was on and needed to know if I had to turn right or left!

Last edited:

hellsreach

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You caught me in a bad mood! I am so tired of hearing people whine and cry about your phones. You should learn what the phone can do before you purchase it. There are apps so that you can see which satellites you are locked on to just like if you use your Tom Tom or whatever you have! There is NOTHING wrong with gps. It is, like most problems, operator error

Sorry, but your comment jerked my chain. I have a Droid 2 and a Droid Charge, no problems with battery, GPS, 3G/4G signal, or anything you people cry and whine about. LEARN UR PHONE!

Or better, get a land line and quit crying!

Actually, no, this IS something wrong with the Charge's GPS lock. This is my first (and last) Samsung, but I understand it is a common problem with the Charge. Yes, you can (and should) download any of several apps to tell you how many sats you are connecting to, but that doesn't actually allow you to connect faster, or have any control over which sats to connect to.

I understand bad moods. My wife is rather convinced that I've been in a bad mood for ten years. I'm also fully aware that every phone has it benefits and negatives, but the blame the user for poor/slow GPS lock on the Charge is not accurate or fair. The only POSSIBLE user fault is that they bought the phone within fully understanding every single detail and problem every available phone has. To expect that of any consumer is foolish. CAVEAT EMPTOR is only appropriate if the caveats are fully disclosed before purchase. Does Samsung conceal the fact that their GPS lock is terrible (as compared to, say, Motorola phones which, while having other problems, GPS extraordinarily fast)? I'm not going to say their is an intention to conceal, but the doctrine fitness of use does take available substitutes into account. If most phones get a GPS lock in under 20 seconds (made up number as I only have anecdotal data on what is a "normal" lock) with inside, and within perhaps 10 seconds outside in clear skies, the Samsung's two, three, or perhaps 10 or 15 minutes lock times is, relative to consumer expectations, unfit for use.

Some people use GPS more than others. I tend to use it often. I drive to new areas a lot and, while I have GPS in my car that locks fast (pretty much immediately -- always-- I find to routes are poor so I prefer not to use it. Also, hate internet shopping (impatience, rather than concern over the process/security), so I try to buy locally. This means I like when Google gives me accurate locality information, plus there is weather updates (if I'm not in my "home" locale), and really prefer that my family can always see where I am from their own phone. In general, I think almost 1/3 to 1/2 half of the things I use my phone for (ironically, calls and texts make up perhaps 1% max) utilize GPS (or would IDEALLY use GPS). That make Samsung nigh-useless. In fact, even though I'm not up for a new phone for well over a year, I may have to buy a new one just to get full functionality out of my phone. This is not something I relish, since a new high-end smartphone can be between $600-700 off contract. Not something I can swallow easily since I paid several hundred about seven months ago with this Charge.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It has been my experience that Samsung in general has gps issues. One thing that has worked for me is rooting and using an app called faster fix. It changes the gps pool and i have a great lock now.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

NIUHuskie

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
It has been my experience that Samsung in general has gps issues. One thing that has worked for me is rooting and using an app called faster fix. It changes the gps pool and i have a great lock now.

Piizza,

At last check, Faster Fix wasn't working for me after the GB update. I noticed a couple of other people had made comments indicating the same thing on the Android Market. Is there a trick to getting it to run?

G1Crank

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Best way to fix the GPS on this phone is to get a Rezound. It connects just about instantly. I was having data connection problems in addition to GPS problems and after the third Charge, I was told I could choose from a variety of phones, including the Rezound; I got it, and haven't had a data drop or GPS problem since.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Best way to fix the GPS on this phone is to get a Rezound. It connects just about instantly. I was having data connection problems in addition to GPS problems and after the third Charge, I was told I could choose from a variety of phones, including the Rezound; I got it, and haven't had a data drop or GPS problem since.

Did they make you pay for the rezound?

Lehocki

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I am on stock GB rooted. I got the Titanium backup app and with it I uninstalled an app called -angryGPS- after that the first time I turned on my gps it took about 60 - 90sec to connect. and the more I use it I noticed that it takes less than 30sec now. I am a truck driver and use the gps often and never have to wait for it to connect longer than 30seconds. Try uninstaling the - angryGPS - app. worked for me.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Also if you are rooted, use an app called faster fix. What that does is change the gps pool that you are pulling your position from to a better one. Takes me no time at all to get a fix.

meyer

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Is this the same issue google maps has when it puts your location with in "2300 meters" all the time? I'll try that faster fix. Thanks Piiz.