Received an email from Verizon. The email is permitting me to buy any NEW VZ phone (including iPhone 4S, etc.) for the discounted (not-under contract or upgrade) price.

I just joined VZ when the Charge came out and bought the Charge w/a 2 year contract. I still have about 18 months left.

Yet they're letting me upgrade...

Anyone have any ideas why?

I thought perhaps it was because they realized the Charge was not being supported with upgrades, etc? But that's wild speculation, of course.
    11-01-2011 11:35 PM
    I would say so. It seems like the Charge is past its prime now and doesn't seem like there will be any support for it. No gingerbread or even an announcement of Gingerbread. Seems like they are just letting it die off now.
    11-02-2011 12:53 AM
    After going through 5 charges with bad problems on each, Verizon recently offered me a bionic. I wondered what was going on because after the 3rd bad charge, I asked for a different phone and they say 'no.'

I think they are probably letting the charge fade away. The phone has so many problems and it does not seem like samsung is ever going to offer an update to fix them. I also doubt the phone will ever see gingerbread.
    11-02-2011 08:48 AM
    did you have complaints in about the Charge?
    11-02-2011 11:51 AM
    Usually they wait a year before sending an early upgrade email offer. Its time sensitive though. You must upgrade within a month after receiving the email i think

Sent from DROID CHARGE 4G-LTE
    11-02-2011 12:25 PM
    did you have complaints in about the Charge?
    I had complaints in, but not about the Charge in particular.
    11-02-2011 12:45 PM
    I figured it out . . .

just found this one in my spam filter...from a few days after the first email. (Yes, I'm slow in reading them.)

Important information about your upgrade status.
    You may have received an email this past weekend indicating that you were eligible for an upgrade on one of your lines. While our phone upgrade program is a great part of being with Verizon, the lines indicated in the email were not actually eligible for a new device upgrade at this time.
    We apologize for any inconvenience this caused in planning for future device purchases. As your actual eligibility date nears, we will be sure to communicate the latest devices and savings available to you at that time.
    As a token of our appreciation for your understanding, we are extending a special offer just for you. Beginning today through October 31, you will automatically receive 30% off any accessories* purchased at verizonwireless.com or at our stores.

In the meantime, please visit our online Wireless Account Analysis tool for a complimentary review of your account, including current upgrade eligibility and potential savings opportunities.
    11-02-2011 12:49 PM
    Wish I'd get that email. I'm about to send my Charge in for the first time, this after sending in the Fascinate that preceded it three times. I'm about ready to call them up and threaten to change carriers if I don't get a phone that is reliable.

edit- Well that sucks.
    11-02-2011 12:50 PM
    If you go to the store and raise enough hell you can get a new phone, for nothing. I did it yesterday. I told them i paid $250 for this piece of crap and i wasn't happy at all. Im getting a new iPhone 4s tomorrow even swap.
    11-02-2011 03:05 PM
    edit- Well that sucks.
    Doesn't it, though?
    11-03-2011 02:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD